School Laptimes

Hey JB,

Well, we spent the big bucks and went with the new timing system, mylaps.  Same one as used by the AMA.

Either your bike or ours, doesn't matter, we'll put a transponder on it.

I recommend for anyone.  It's pretty interesting what it can show.  The times won't compare to race lap times, we have a firm passing rule.  But one can see what skills help the most, when a rider is more consistent, where he/she could be weaker.  

Lap times, good measuring aid!

• 4 weeks later...

Cobie/ Hotfoot,

I had laptimes taken L1-4 and didn't discuss the subject with any of the coaches. I don't think it is a primary area of for what my riding needs most, which may be why it didn't come up. But I did learn something by reading the sheets on the way home.

There were a couple guys that were smoking fast. Would their coach discuss times with them?

Does the school keep laptimes in a student record so that at a future time an improvement discussion may be held and laptimes used as a datapoint? Is there a point in rider development where improvement conversations must revolve around laptimes or does the conversation still start with student/ coach observation?

I guess I'm trying to ferret out the role laptimes play in rider training.

Laptimes are mainly used for students who want them, to see evidence of their improvement through the day. Or sometimes to compare to their buddy's times, for bragging rights. :)

It happens that as techniques improve, especially visual skills, the rider can feel like they are going slower - less rushed, less frantic, less fearful, sometimes using less lean angle- yet they are actually going a lot faster. Laptimes really help make that real to the student. 

It is rare for coaches to use the lap time data for coaching, unless a student  knows/races that particular track and has a specific lap time goal in mind.

We have better tools than a laptimer for L4 students, like video or the BMW datalogger, which collects WAYYYY more info, if a rider is specifically focused on improving laptimes. It's a lot more effective to use video to find areas of improvement.

I think we do have records of prior laptimes but don't know that they are used for anything; Trevor has an incredible memory for returning students and can usually say whether someone is riding faster than they have before, or whoever coached the student before usually knows too.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, Hotfoot said:

Laptimes are mainly used for students who want them, to see evidence of their improvement through the day. Or sometimes to compare to their buddy's times, for bragging rights. :)

It happens that as techniques improve, especially visual skills, the rider can feel like they are going slower - less rushed, less frantic, less fearful, sometimes using less lean angle- yet they are actually going a lot faster. Laptimes really help make that real to the student. 

It is rare for coaches to use the lap time data for coaching, unless a student  knows/races that particular track and has a specific lap time goal in mind.

We have better tools than a laptimer for L4 students, like video or the BMW datalogger, which collects WAYYYY more info, if a rider is specifically focused on improving laptimes. It's a lot more effective to use video to find areas of improvement.

I think we do have records of prior laptimes but don't know that they are used for anything; Trevor has an incredible memory for returning students and can usually say whether someone is riding faster than they have before, or whoever coached the student before usually knows too.

Hi Cobie,

I was there for L2/3 last summer and left without getting my lap times. Any way I could still get them? I had paid for them.

BTW, I'm glad I read this post as I'm coming back for L4 in Sep and didn't know we could ask to focus on lap tiimes but I definitely want to do that. On that note, I know you guys do not go to Thunderhill East but I really really want you to in the future so this is just me being a pest about it. Please start doing Thunderhill East. Would love to get some CSS help around this track.