mugget

Knee slider as a learning tool... Why? When? How?

mugget    3

Hi all,

I was just reading one of Dave Moss post on Facebook and it really got me thinking... here's the post: 

And here's my comment on that post:

Very interesting post... lots to think about. Makes me wonder if I have been missing the benefits of an important learning tool all this time...

Like everyone when I started out I viewed "knee down" almost as the pinnacle of riding technique. As time went on I realised that getting a knee down is not an end goal in itself, it's the product of correct riding technique. I also thought that I didn't want to limit myself and stop leaning as soon as my knee touched down - better to feel the actual tyre grip and let that determine your maximum lean angle. So I just let my knee hang comfortably and it doesn't bother me that it almost never touches down. I'm still pretty happy with my riding and I'm within ~6 seconds of very fast racers at my local track (1:06 vs 1:00 flat, where anything quicker than 1:15 is considered pretty fast for the average rider). 

Talking about front end slides, I feel like this needs to be qualified - under what circumstances is the front end sliding? In combination with trail braking? I don't trail brake much, and if you're entering a corner with no brakes I've actually found that to be the safest way to increase corner speed and push myself on  corner entry and mid-corner; the gains come from getting the bike to maximum lean in as short a time as possible, and if you're really turning in that quickly we know that the rear end will slide before the front does. 

So I wonder how I can use knee sliders as a tool in my current riding level and style? Or does it's use as a tool really only come into play when heavy trail braking is involved? 

Thanks in advance for any comments, this seems like a very interesting discussion.

Jaybird180    30

From some of his other material, I get the impression that Dave is a trail braker.