Best Racer Story

This wasn't really a story. A few years ago, there was an interview with King Kenny. The cover of Cycle News had him fully sideways in the dirt. The bike--a V-MAX!

Hey, I was talking with Keith this morning about the Mladin article/interview in CYCLE NEWS.

You guys should check out where he says he hardly messes with the bike from track to track!

CF

I was racing at Pikes Peak in AMA Superbike. Coming out of turn 2, I look back and see Nicky. I drift to the wall and feel the bike move - "Oh no I just hit Nicky into the wall" is what I thought. Nicky goes by, backs it into 3 (tire smoking of course)and takes off.

I am in the pits and he comes up. I am ready to get an ear full and he smiles at me and say's " Did you feel that?"

Me - "Yes. I am so sorry I thought you would go under me"

Nicky - " No Man. I grabbed your boot and gave it a shake on the way by"

Nicky did that while we are going about 120mph, full tuck, leaned slightly over and wishing to not hit the wall (well at least I am). It is cool when the best guys in the world still screw around.

• 2 weeks later...

Griz,

Well, it's also a good commentary on you, that he was willing to do it to you and trusted you wouldn't do anything silly!

CF

• 2 years later...

I was cornerworking the return of the AMA National Round at Charlotte Motor Speedway back in nineteen something or other and there was this guy named Freddie who was making a comeback effort of his own riding a Honda superbike for a couple of brothers. I, like so many others, was really pulling for Freddie. Imagine my horror when he fell down on the first lap of the superbike event. Right in front of ME. If I was disappointed, he was VERY disappointed. While he helped me to push his bike out of the crash zone and lean it against the fence, I asked him what had happened. He told me someone in the pack had bumped him off. A few weeks later, I tracked him down in his trailer at Mid-Ohio to return the gloves he'd left at my station back at Charlotte and to request an autograph. While he was signing my white Honda hat, I asked him how he was feeling. He shrugged, grinning a little sheepishly and said, "Ah, nothing a little throttle control wouldn't cure."

My favorite story would be the weekend Jerry W. showed up at Bridgehampton with his brandy new Ducati 916. Like number 24 off the assembly line. Proudly being the first guy on the block to own a beautiful shiny red 916 and having the audacity to race it, all of his friends at the track felt it would be the right thing to do to put Jerry's pretty new Duc under shelter for the night... since Jerry had gone off to sleep and left it outside with nothing but a canopy for cover. Well, you know how those onshore breezes can pick up the sand and scour a new paint job...right? Besides, what if someone stole it? Anyhow, we found the perfect spot in the little tool shed. Which measured about three feet square. Of course, we had to stand the 916 up vertically on the rear wheel, nose in the air, to make it fit; but, we were confident that it would be out of sight and harm's way. I remember thinking as we walked back to the campfire that if I didn't know where Jerry's brand new Ducati was, I'd never think to look for it in that tiny little shed. Boy, Jerry sure was lucky to have friends like us.

• 2 years later...

When I was a junior ,racing at Bridgehampton, I thought I was super fast when Dale Quarterley came up, slapped me on the back, and started dragging his finger on the ground showing me the fast line to follow. I was holding on for dear life and he was riding around with one hand. I learned a lot about racing from him, Jerry Wood, and a bunch of other guys that were always there when you needed them. Unfortuantely you had to put up with a lot of pranks too. I guess it goes with the lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It is cool when the best guys in the world still screw around.

Like Will tugging on Peter's elbow as he passed him this past Tuesday :)

oh, that was funny. I was right behind them when will did that. Looked like he startled peter pretty good there.

My favorite Ballis-trick was reaching over and hitting the kill switch as he passed.