Corner Exit Body Position/Street BP

JP_636

Hey everyone! After watching TOTW 2 i have a lot better understanding of cornering and body position, etc, i've done a lot of research and feel i have a good grasp on most it except for when it comes to corner exits, as well as your body position for twisties. So! 

1. For corner exits, you shouldn't lift your butt off the seat to position yourself for the next corner or to center yourself back on the seat until your bike is straight up, but it is safe to center your torso, head, and arms while standing the bike up, you just have to wait till the bike is completely straight up and down to adjust your lower body so you don't risk de-stabilizing the bike. Is this correct??

2. When you hit up the twisties (intermediate riding, nothing too aggressive) is it necessary to stick your leg out/butt off the seat when cornering, or should you only be using proper your upper body position (outside arm across tank, inside arm pointing down, kissing mirror, and proper vision etc.). I was told it wasn't necessary on the street to move your lower since you wont be dragging knee (my goal on the street isn't to drag knee anyways, i just want to practice proper body position, throttle control, vision techniques, and lines). My confusion is because on some videos i see riders who aren't in steep lean angles stick there knees out anyways, and others who just stick their upper body out. With only the upper body pushed out, are you still shifting the center of gravity?  I just want to know what you guys do/recommend is proper.

Thanks again for any input/recommendation!! 

About your #2 question:

Your priority for street riding should be safety, which has more to do with high alertness, with good judgement of entry speed, with understanding of traffic situations and with proficient visual skills.

Your body position should be such that it serves as a good base for those things, it should be comfortable, it should keep you in total control of the machine.

The extreme body positions that you see in track practices and races are not really necessary if you ride within or not much above legal speed limits. The lean angles and cornering forces on your tires should be moderate, so you will always have a safety margin or reserve to use in unexpected road hazards or traffic emergencies.

You can experiment with leaning only your torso and head into the turn or even hang off your hips some, finding your most comfortable and safe body position.  I would avoid dragging knees on public streets, but would know how to increase leaning angle and assertively swerve as emergency maneuvers.