Clip On Adjustment

Don Dagg

I have been fortunate to get the answers I need using this forum. I hope someone can help me once again as I trust the advice given here and not so much elsewhere. I want to adjust my clip ons by simply pushing them out a bit so I can stretch out more on the bike and not feel so cramped. This will also keep my elbows from being behind my knees when seated on the bike. My question is: Is it okay not to use the bolt that goes into the triple clamp as shown in photo 1 as long as I tighten the bolt and clamp attached to the fork (photo 2)? Obviously when I push the clip ons forward the hole is no longer aligned and the bolt cannot be used. Would just like to know if I am safe not using it?

R3 clip ons 1.jpg

R3 clip ons 2.jpg

I advise against that idea: friction would be the only thing preventing the bar from rotating around the fork's tube.

It may be sufficient for normal riding, but it may suddenly rotate for high steering forces or head shakes or tank slappers.

I would try finding the ideal position for the bars and still using a key to fix that position, perhaps drilling on the tripple or fabricating an offset kind of bridge that connects both original holes (clamp and tripple).

Is the ideal position as shown in your picture?

Thank you both for the replies. I am not 100% sure of the position I would like to have permanently so I guess that is where the Apex and Woodcraft would make sense. I do like the idea of drilling my own hole though when I know for sure and bolting it through. This makes sense to me and not super complicated.

I would strongly recommend against running the clip-ons with only the pinch bolts holding them in place. If you can't find a comfortable position with your current setup, I would look for aftermarket adjustable clip-ons as there are quite a few options. I use Helibars TracStar clip-ons on my Gsx-r. They aren't adjustable but are angled slightly forward and upward. They say for better ergonomics, but I wanted more clearance between my bars and gas tank at full lock. Not needed for the track maybe, but it helps in parking lots. 

In a full full tuck it is challenging for me to see far forward no matter where the position of my bars are. But being stretched out is more comfortable. I have a few helmets and they all seem like they could use more upper vertical visibility. I usually ride three quarter tuck and try and drop to the inside during cornering.