Hotfoot

Forum Changes - your opinion wanted

Hi there! You may have noticed some recent changes in the forum. We are experimenting with categories to see if we can find the optimum number of categories to keep the forum as easy as possible to use. We are definitely interested in your opinion about what topic sections you'd like to see. As you may have noticed we have re-introduced a New Members area (if you are a guest or lurker, join up so you can post and tell us what you think!) and a Racing section to talk about races and our racing heroes. Let us know if you are happy to see those categories back, or if you liked the simpler format, and if you think we need additional categories, post up and let us know!

Thanks in advance!

• Thanks 1

Hotfoot pointed out (after reviewing forum analytics) that it wasn't as easy to navigate, and use as a reference.  Now's your opportunity to let us know what kinds of items/categories/forum layout you might prefer.

If you like the new categories, let us know (or if not).

Best,

Cobie

Can you delete or hide the "Welcome to Pages" article? I have no security access to enter it and so it will show in perpetuity to us users as an unread article.

1406155184_css_unavailabletopic.thumb.png.6cb1bb01a15fa60cb5d0d61196cd83c9.png

As new content appears I navigate via the "unread content" link. So for brand new content, the organization is moot for me.

To your point about using the site as a reference, I revisit content just like periodically reading TOTW. I would love to have the entire history of technique articles organized into categories such as throttle, braking steering, road conditions, etc. so that there would be an inherent helpful path, like reading through a book. But since articles tend to wander a bit and cross over to different topics, I understand the reality that online forums do not really lend themselves to that level of organization. In that light I think the current form works just fine.

This is really helpful feedback, thank you.

I found the post you are talking about and I can't access it either; whatever it is, it doesn't belong. I'm at the track today and on a mobile device so I couldn't delete it but will do so tomorrow. 

Thanks for the heads up on that. 

Well that "Welcome to Pages" article was something I could not access either, it was apparently some sort of systems announcement on a new feature on the back end of the forum. I did a refresh to clear the cache and on mine it disappeared - John, please take a look and see if it fixed it for your account.

I'll speak with Cobie about rearranging the articles to make them easier to find, see if that is something we can do.

• Thanks 1

"Welcome to Pages" still shows up for me.

Thanks for the effort. If this forum software has the capability of article categories or meta tags, those tools might help group existing articles with minimal effort.

16 hours ago, JohnCBoukis said:

Thanks for the effort. If this forum software has the capability of article categories or meta tags, those tools might help group existing articles with minimal effort.

I escalated this issue, we should have it taken care of very soon.

Tagging articles with keywords is definitely possible, that's a good thought, that would make searches easier, I'll look into ways to group articles.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JohnCBoukis said:

OK, if you don't mind - please look again and see if it is gone now, I am told that it should be and I can't find it anymore under my login...

Next question:

Should we do a separate section for the gear questions, like:

Tires, helmets, leathers, etc.

One more easily searchable?

Any thoughts on this?  All of you can answer on this one, everyone has an opinion even if it's, "uh, leave it alone" or "yeah, get a few more categories up here."

CF

Hi Cobie, 

You read my mind!  Please, yes - section on riding gear, boots/leathers, etc would be good.   How about a section on track riding for novices wanting to get into track riding  -  recommended bikes, pitfalls,  set-up? 

New to forums and do find it awkward searching here, although the information is top quality when I find it.

Cheers, 

Victor