Challenging corners

Hotfoot

1 hour ago, Jaybird180 said:

Long sweeping corners; the ones where it looks like you can be anywhere and be almost right.

Oh, yes, those are the ones I find the hardest to figure out for racing. For me,  I LOVE to ride them but I have trouble determining the quickest way through, whether I am better off to stay more to the inside and cover less distance, or go out wider to carry more speed, or swing out then back in to get a good drive out... of course I probably make it harder on myself by riding both a low HP bike and a high HP bike, and the answer is likely different for each bike. :) 

The corners I find the scariest are downhill corners, I know I shouldn't brace on the bars but it is hard not to, and I worry about overloading the front, between the deceleration, the downhillness (is that a word?) and the effort not to lean on the bars, and the worry makes me tense, which is counter productive as well. The thing that helps me with those is a really good wide view, or if I can't manage that at last some good reference points.

What skills do you use to HELP you with your tough corners?

I’m thinking that if I had certainty on what skills I need to use it would no longer be a tough corner. Until now, I’ve been trying different things and sensing the G-forces. I realize now that’s a poor measure of performance.

Next season, I will have my laptimer up and after the session I’m hoping to be able to use the data to give me a quantifiable difference.

39 minutes ago, Jaybird180 said:

I’m thinking that if I had certainty on what skills I need to use it would no longer be a tough corner.

Ha ha, that is an excellent point!

Well... in a corner like you describe, where, as you say, you can be anywhere and be almost right, do you still choose a specific line with specific reference points (like you would in a very tight corner), and try them and then adjust from there? Or do you go in with a completely new line/new approach every time and see how it feels?

The specific corner I had in mind is at NJMP Thinderbolt; T9/10 I believe is the number. Some riders break it into 2 turns, some 3. This right turn then leads into a DR and then a slower left at the end

Dylan and I spoke about how Tony Elias negotiates this section; I wanted  to see if I can try and replicate. From the TV vantage point, Tony takes this T9/10/-DR as a single turn; doesn’t change lean angle or body position and...I’m not sure if he uses the brakes to get into the DR! Dylan’s response is that Tony can do some amazing things that’s unique to him; and that was the end of that discussion.

Part of my plan for improvement here is to increase my revs and get into the speed range I want, so my line selection becomes more important as a product of that speed shaped by the primary metric or consideration of TC1.

My next time there, I plan to explore the left edge of that turn to improve my sense of space. When I left the school there my win that I posted about was feeling that I’d finally put the elements together in T8, which IMO has to happen to be able to get into the speed range for T9...I’m almost there. At least I know I can now put my literbike’s needle at or above the 12’ o’clock positon in 4th gear there.

To be succinct: I have an idea of where I should be with respect to the track edges to setup for the DR and the preceding turn is negotiated with considerations for the DR’s apex and exit. I am obviously open to, and do try small changes. Last time there I still got drastically different results despite what I thought were small or in some cases, no changes there.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 1:57 AM, Hotfoot said:

What sort of corners are most challenging for you? Road or track, which ones do you find most difficult to ride or hardest to figure out?

Post up, we want to hear your answer, whether you are a brand new rider or a regular track junkie! 

On the road - downhill, off-camber decreasing radius corners are the ones where confidence is lowest. The main issue is finding a line for the decreasing radius is usually always on the camber, where you would have normally turned in if it wasn't a DR turn. The corner in mind starts flat then drops away so there are suspension and weight forces in play too, making the bike 'go light' proir to the apex. 

I don't tend to quick flick and use more upper body movement to compensate but perhaps this isn't correct? 

ps.  'downhillness' - say it with conviction and you've coined a new word! (decline?/downward elevation?)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For me, it's roundabouts, because I always fear a lack of traction, plus studded tires dig tracks that usually must be traversed. Other than that, I agree with Vic above.

Of the more impressive stuff I see regarding cornering at the upper level is the final two corners of Le Mans taken as one by MotoGP riders.

• Like 1