Cobie Fair

Poll for street riders

On 7/15/2019 at 7:53 PM, Cobie Fair said:

If you have a good lock on the bike with the lower body (arms are not being used to support the body), the front will feel like it's a bowling ball, stiff and slippery, not "hooked up" at all.  As it warms, you will feel more resistance, it's "biting" more and will track a tighter line once turned in.

That's the best explanation I've ever heard about how the front should feel riding near the limit.  I think I've spent a lot of my track time assuming traction rather than discovering it and I can see how that's holding me back from getting nearer to the limit.  

Thanks Cobie!

On 6/28/2019 at 7:22 PM, Cobie Fair said:

OK, to move on to the next point, and that is one's attention, and where does it get put/get used/consumed.

Keith has covered this well in Twist 1, with his $10 bill analogy.

One thing that surprises me is how few riders new to the track use ear plugs, and for the simple reason of reducing distraction.

What types of things do you guys do/use to have more free attention for riding?

Let's hear 'em.

(Should we do a new thread for this?)

CF

Interesting on ear plug,  while on track I get it for noise; but on the street; I think using ear plugs "could" be a way to hide info you need (a racing car engine, sound of tires sliding etc) that could be a tip of something happening around you.  Just my thought.

As for distractions, riding for me is a way to get away from life's distractions (as you really need to focus just on your riding).  That said, I use the same approach to riding my bike as I used to use when flying.  Bike may be ready but am I.  There have been a number of rides I did not take because I either didn't feel physically or mentally up to it.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:14 PM, Cobie Fair said:

OK pollsters, here is another look at this area, and question for you (and any others that have not chimed in) this could be considered the same question (or similar), but going to ask anyway:

What single skill would you most like to improve in your own riding? 

CF 

1.  Braking on the limit, both straight up and turning.  As much for defense as going fast.

2. For me getting more comfortable with traction/lean at the limit

Both not easy to master (safely) on street.

19 minutes ago, DLHamblin said:

Interesting on ear plug,  while on track I get it for noise; but on the street; I think using ear plugs "could" be a way to hide info you need (a racing car engine, sound of tires sliding etc) that could be a tip of something happening around you.  Just my thought.

As for distractions, riding for me is a way to get away from life's distractions (as you really need to focus just on your riding).  That said, I use the same approach to riding my bike as I used to use when flying.  Bike may be ready but am I.  There have been a number of rides I did not take because I either didn't feel physically or mentally up to it.

I too had similar concern when street riding but I discovered that I could hear the important bits quite well with plugs. What you’ll find (if you’re go looking for a scholarly view) is that plugs don’t attenuate evenly across the frequency spectrum. Plainly stated, they dampen by several dB the wind noise that can cause tinnitus or hearing loss, with only minimal loss of high, mid and low pitch-tone information (screeching tires, sirens, engine noise, etc).

4 hours ago, Jaybird180 said:

I too had similar concern when street riding but I discovered that I could hear the important bits quite well with plugs. What you’ll find (if you’re go looking for a scholarly view) is that plugs don’t attenuate evenly across the frequency spectrum. Plainly stated, they dampen by several dB the wind noise that can cause tinnitus or hearing loss, with only minimal loss of high, mid and low pitch-tone information (screeching tires, sirens, engine noise, etc).

Good points, I will try some next ride (I have tons of foam ones....)

Front end tucks, corner entry, cold/damp conditions--possibly just overriding the conditions, or and/or tire temp.  Recently one of my newer coaches asked an old hand (super-fast coach) why he was sliding around (unpredictably to him).  When pressed, it was discovered he was not fully warming the tire...in those conditions it took 3 hard laps to get the tire up to temp.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:14 AM, Cobie Fair said:

If you ride a street bike, interested in what you think:  Of the following skills/abilities (or another not listed) what do you rank as the highest priority as a rider?

1. Ability to steer quickly
  2. Brave
  3. Visual skill, lack of target fixation
  4. Quick reflexes
  5. Physical condition, strength

Interested in all skill levels response to this short survey, so if you ride a motorcycle, you can answer.

Best,

Cobie

Hi all, 

Just saw this so thought I'd jump onboard.

Definitely No. 3, visual skills and lack of target fixations.  I have, although I hate to admit it, crashed on road and off road due to target fixation.  Quick reflexes would stem from reacting to what you can see, and then the ability to steer quickly is the brain telling the body to react to what is seen - at least that is my take on it. 

I have noticed that lower body/leg strength is more important than upper body 'muscling' the bike around a bend, and I like to take the "heavy feet - light hands" approach.  

Bravery? Is this where the 'if in doubt - flat out' approach applies? 😉

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:22 AM, Cobie Fair said:

OK, to move on to the next point, and that is one's attention, and where does it get put/get used/consumed.

Keith has covered this well in Twist 1, with his $10 bill analogy.

One thing that surprises me is how few riders new to the track use ear plugs, and for the simple reason of reducing distraction.

What types of things do you guys do/use to have more free attention for riding?

Let's hear 'em.

(Should we do a new thread for this?)

CF

Not using earplugs?!  Personally I never ride without them, on the track or street.  I find the wind noise far too distracting and I can still hear the engine and the bike perfectly, all they do is dampen the noise and reduce it to a more, ear-friendly level.  One of the other things I do to reduce the wind noise is to use a Buff on my neck and stuff it up the sides of my lid a bit to help reduce the wind noise, as well as wind-chill on cooler, UK days! 

I also carry a visor wipe (called a VSponge) to clear bug splatter off my visor on longer rides.  Yes, I know I can look through them and try not get distracted, but it's nice as well to have a clean lens after a lunch stop.

Oh, I also repeat Throttle Rule #1 on every bend...!

• Like 1