2006 Riding Coach Search

Riding Coach Search:

We are looking for riding coaches. If you are interested in trying out to be a riding coach, here is the process:

1. Read the description below the dotted line of what we are looking for.

2. A very good riding skill level is required from our coaches. Some have met the other requirements, but had to work on their riding skill, and eventually became coaches. While riding skill is important, as or more important is ability to learn, ability to communicate and get along well with a wide variety of people, can endure hard conditions (school days are long!), and can attend enough school days in a year.

3. Please review the description and application carefully. This will ensure you won?t be wasting both of our time with questions that are already answered.

4. If you fit the description, or think you could meet the requirements soon, fill out the application that is attached and send it to me. In truth, I?d rather have you try out and let us decide if you meet the requirements, than not have you try out at all!

Best,

Cobie Fair

Chief Riding Coach

Cobie@superbikeschool.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The California Superbike School is conducting a search for riding coaches. If you can answer yes to all of the questions below then you may be just what we need.

1. Have you already taken the Superbike School (since 1995, preferably Level 1 and 2)?

2. Have you roadraced?

3. Are you already pretty fast? (don't have to be a track record holder, but can't be slow).

4. Are you friendly and personable--enjoy talking with people?

5. Do you learn new things fairly quickly?

6. Can you devote minimum 10-15 school days per year (not including travel time)?

7. Are you willing to do difficult homework, and have every aspect of your training skills scrutinized?

8. Have you read the Twist of the Wrist books?

9. Would you enjoy helping people learn how to ride better?

I?m looking for people interested in becoming riding coaches here at the number one riding school in the world. We are very selective and everything you say or do in the application process counts. I?m not interested in squids, dopers or short term relationships. I am looking for enthusiastic individuals that want to learn how to become a great coaches.

If you think you have the right stuff, fill out an application!

Best,

Cobie Fair

Chief Riding Coach

Application__nov_22__07.rtf

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Great response on this. Please keep them coming--as of today, there are over 400 downloads of the application.

Best,

CF

Hi Cobie,

Downloaded the application enthusiasticly, but then found out that you're only looking for riding coaches within the U.S.

Sorry but i'm a Dutchman so i won't waste your time by filling in the application.

Good luck with your search!

Greetings Mike

Mike,,

If you are in Holland, you might call the UK school--they do schools all over Europe, and now also in Dubai and South Africa.

MSGT-R

I am still interviewing, there are a few that haven't yet done the school and are coming, some have done the school but I need to see them ride, so they might do a school, or come and cornwork, and I can see them ride.

It's an on-going process, I basically never stop looking for coaches, but this year, with all the schools, I wanted to make sure I was ready to deliver (for most coaches, it takes almost a season before they are really ready to go).

Best,

CF

Send the applications directly to me:

cobie@superbikeschool.com

And we haven't picked anyone yet. It's not really just pick one over the other, I've not had the situation of too many top guys!

CF

Mike,,

If you are in Holland, you might call the UK school--they do schools all over Europe, and now also in Dubai and South Africa.

MSGT-R

I am still interviewing, there are a few that haven't yet done the school and are coming, some have done the school but I need to see them ride, so they might do a school, or come and cornwork, and I can see them ride.

It's an on-going process, I basically never stop looking for coaches, but this year, with all the schools, I wanted to make sure I was ready to deliver (for most coaches, it takes almost a season before they are really ready to go).

Best,

CF

Cobie,

Thanks for your suggestion. Will talk to Andy when i do my level I on may 17th.

Best

Mike

Mike,

Johnhy H. is the Chief Riding Coach, you'd contact him. Good guy, runs a tight ship.

Best,

CF

Cobie,

I presume that Johnny is present at all of the css days in europe? I'm thinking of talking to him when i'm doing level I at Zandvoort may 17th.

Question. Isn't it weird for me to talk about my ambition of becoming a css riding coach when i have not even done level I yet?

Won't he think that it's pretty arrogant of me, at this stage, to presume that i could be the man for that job?

Please advice. I don't want to get of on the wrong foot.

regards

Mike

Mike,

Johnny is at all schools, I would imagine with very rare exception (or none!).

I don't personally mind at all if a guy tells me he is interested in being a coach. Unless the person had no tact at all, I wouldn't think it arrogant if he let me know that. I'd tell Johnny that we have corresponded, and you'd like to know what it takes to be a coach. That's polite enough, and pretty clear too!

Best,

CF

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd update how the search is coming. Quite a few tried out at Sears, this last Feb 22-23. There were a total of 11 tryouts, plus one more that was brought to me that day. There were 3 that passed the riding portion of the tryout, and of those 1 we have decided to proceed to the probation step with.

I'm still for sure looking! Quite a number of people have read the original post (and downloaded the application), so even if you think you might not be what we need, it's OK to send me the application, and let us decide!

Quite a number of the current coaching staff did not make the first tryout--they came back a 2nd or 3rd time.

Best,

Cobie

• 4 weeks later...

lol... doing some reading, and chuckling at the "issue" of not being from the US. I feel for you! I'm from Canada and would love to have a job such as this... What a passion, and to be affiliated with such proffessionalism, (not to mention all that GOODNESS out on the best tracks in America.. *sigh....

Well... here's to me... I"m off to Reno/Fernely for the two day Camp on the 3/4th...

Good luck in your quest to find the "right guy/gal"

Cheers!

Aaron

(ShinySide)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Aaron,

I was one of the ones that applied for a coaching position. Going into I thought I was a good rider.... That's not enough. The Superbikeschool is the most professional school out there with awesome coaches, mechanics and support personal. After the first day I realized that there was so much to learn that I clearly wasn't ready. One of my Coaches was from Canada so don't let your location discourage you.

I look forward to having a great experience in the level 3 & 4 classes next.

Respectfully,

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Aaron,

I was one of the ones that applied for a coaching position. Going into I thought I was a good rider.... That's not enough. The Superbikeschool is the most professional school out there with awesome coaches, mechanics and support personal. After the first day I realized that there was so much to learn that I clearly wasn't ready. One of my Coaches was from Canada so don't let your location discourage you.

I look forward to having a great experience in the level 3 & 4 classes next.

Respectfully,

Pete

Paul... or Misty?

I had them both. Paul on Day 1, and Misty on Day 3 (They were both incredible to work with)

WHAT A BLAST! Wow... all I can say.. is .. ."I'm sooo glad that I did it"

And Pete, I agree whole heartedly... CSS is without a doubt, THE most professional group or instructors that I could ever hope to meet or learn from. I took level one thru three in Reno May 3rd-5th. I can't wait to go back, and take another two day camp.

My learning curve was ridiculous. Imagine to my suprise, when I after ten years of "putting".. I had to UNlearn all my mistakes, and RElearn to apply all these great new techniques... lol.

I can't imagine having the skill that it takes to ride like ALL The CSS coaches do... *shakes head. They are all poetry in motion. ALL of them! It was a real pleasure to watch them work! They are a special breed. It would take an absurd amount of time, and dedication to become half of what they are.

I think that their standard is "just right" in terms of where they should be... IT's the reason we pay the money we do to "play" with them, and have them show us the "error of our naive ways" :ph34r:

Anyone that can "keep up" in all the terms that that phrase relates too... is one special duck in my book...

Good luck to any, and all, that make it past Mr fair's "Tests of torture and sure defeat"

It was a pleasure to ride with him. I had the daunting task of riding with him on my Level Two day. He was my coach for the entire day. It's kind of special to be able to say that you had the "Head Instructor" for the WHOLE Organization WorldWide, all to yourself for the better part of a day. And hell... aside from him pulling me off the track that one time B) to discuss all the "movement going on" I'd say that it was just a heckuva fun day!

All kidding aside... The staff at CSS take their jobs Very Seriously. They are professionals all the way. I wish them all the luck in the world to find more of the same in themsleves.

Aaron.

• 4 weeks later...

An update on the riding coach search:

We've added some new coaches, all doing well in their training right now: Mike Moore, Brian Day, Doug Halpin and James Brown. 3 older coaches are back on board: Jeff Rozycki, Greg Gorman, and Jaime Taynor, and they're also pretty much back up to speed and doing well.

We still need more coaches though!

If you haven't responded, didn't have all the requierments, didn't think you were fast enough (or for whatever reason didn't think you'd fit) and didn't send in the application, there is nothing to loose, so send it in!

See you at the track.

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...