Riding/Racing Games and Sims

Jaybird180

It seems that some people are getting benefit out of using/ playing racing games. This is an area completely unknown to me and since it's Brrrrr cold here right now, it might be an opportunity to get some training in from the comfort of my living room. Anyone have any recommendations?

I heard of Ride3. It has some mixed reviews, but is the game that got my attention to this idea.

I have a Win10 laptop I can use to connect to my living room TV but I'm not opposed to buying a gaming platform for this use. If I use the PC what type of controllers should I buy?

• Thanks 1

In the last 17 hours, I've managed to narrow this down to ponying up with 350 $mackeroos to get the game and an XBox One S. I did find that with online stores selling the game at a discount and a few bundles available online, now it's a matter of deciding which bundle kit to go with and I believe I can beat that budget ALL DONE. I will need to pull the trigger soon on this, as my son's 7th birthday is in 2 weeks and the game is for him...I might play it once in awhile also (wink).

I have Ride 2 and Ride 3(3 is obviously the better version, just wish it had as many bikes as 2 to choose from). I gotta be honest I don't know if there's any thing to really gain from playing the game. Maybe this is because i don't live near or ride on any of the tracks in the game? It's definitely a fun and challenging game to play worth the buy in my opinion. I have it for xbox one btw. If you do decide to go with a PC game, I'm sure the xbox controllers can pair up with a PC or laptop. 

I've considered picking these up (I'm actually a game designer/engineer) but have a sort of feeling that they're, at best, just specialized driving sims -- I'm not sure they'll encourage proper technique or skills in any notable way (can anyone check if you go down by adding throttle and lean?) :P

On 11/15/2019 at 2:43 PM, yakaru said:

I've considered picking these up (I'm actually a game designer/engineer) but have a sort of feeling that they're, at best, just specialized driving sims -- I'm not sure they'll encourage proper technique or skills in any notable way (can anyone check if you go down by adding throttle and lean?) :P

This i have done in the game and yes.... you go down 🤣🤣🤣

The rear gives, you slide and it leads to a high side

On 11/15/2019 at 1:52 PM, SRod321 said:

I have Ride 2 and Ride 3(3 is obviously the better version, just wish it had as many bikes as 2 to choose from). I gotta be honest I don't know if there's any thing to really gain from playing the game. Maybe this is because i don't live near or ride on any of the tracks in the game? It's definitely a fun and challenging game to play worth the buy in my opinion. I have it for xbox one btw. If you do decide to go with a PC game, I'm sure the xbox controllers can pair up with a PC or laptop. 

Do they offer the game as a PC download? What if I own the XBox version, do I get a discount on the PS4 or PC version?

Sorry for the questions, it’s been A REALLY LONG TIME since I’ve done video games. I own a retro Atari and retro SNES (the updated ones released a couple years ago), just to put in context. Played a few times for nostalgia and now they’re on the shelf.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:27 AM, SRod321 said:

This i have done in the game and yes.... you go down 🤣🤣🤣

The rear gives, you slide and it leads to a high side

oh interesting. I watched this a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Q7Fsawf7o and he just runs through grass et al to seemingly no ill effect.

This is a great topic and yes, there is much to learn from racing games.  So I have a PS4 and play car racing games (Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, GT Sport) with a steering wheel (Logitech G29).

The single big advantage I have noticed is vision.  Everytime I drive I consciously practice the wide-vision drill that I notice myself doing it without intending to.  This immensely helps with tunnel vision and with taking in a ton of visual information ahead of you.  I'm much better able to look for my braking point, turning point, apex, exit, and "long" before hitting any of those points you pick up your eyes and look for the next point while still using the peripheral to make sure you're hitting all the points as intended.  Just as explained in the TOTW books.

If you can get your hands on any car racing games (on a racetrack), even with a controller (as opposed to a steering wheel), turn off the racing lines and start working on picking out reference points based on how your virtual car brakes and accelerates, and work on vision.  Oh and don't use the chase cam view, use the cockpit or helmet or hood cams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day 2 of having Xbox & Ride3 in the house. After persevering with getting the system setup (going to make some other changes later) we finally were able to actually play the game. During everyone's first ride, we all managed some creative ways to crash the Panigale at Laguna Seca. Once beyond that stage, a selection of bikes opens up as well as a selection of tracks. My son is now riding the Kawasaki KX450 Supermoto at Road America and doing quite well!

With the suggested lines turned on, I hope that he gets some ideas about lines; it's a subject I've introduced thrice, but it may have been too early for him. We'll see if the game acts as the intended learning aid. I'm also over the idea of the controllers being too complicated, but that's also a factor of my doing some outside self-improvement work, not just game related.

I'm less than $300 into this deal and if all fails, at least we have a streaming media and Blu Ray Player in the family room now to replace the devices I wasn't too happy about. And hopefully, Just Dance 2020 becomes another family fun activity...it's quite a workout!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, bashir0505 said:

The single big advantage I have noticed is vision.  Everytime I drive I consciously practice the wide-vision drill that I notice myself doing it without intending to.  This immensely helps with tunnel vision and with taking in a ton of visual information ahead of you.  I'm much better able to look for my braking point, turning point, apex, exit, and "long" before hitting any of those points you pick up your eyes and look for the next point while still using the peripheral to make sure you're hitting all the points as intended.  Just as explained in the TOTW books.

I wonder if getting one of the largest curved monitors would enhance this effect, as it would let you actively keep your wideview a bit better than something that your macular vision can't cover the majority of the space.

• 3 years later...

I did some digging and heard good things about Ride3, but the mixed reviews made me hesitant. Has anyone else tried it out? I'm open to other suggestions too!
I plan on using my Win10 laptop to connect to my TV, but I'm clueless about what kind of controllers to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
By the way, sorry for reviving an old thread, but I've been hunting for similar information. While searching, I actually stumbled upon some cool mobile games that let you make some extra cash. I found this website called Joy Wallet, and they have a review of a game called Solitaire Cash that seems pretty legit. Check it out: https://joywallet.com/article/solitaire-cash-review/

• 4 months later...

Racing games can be a total blast, especially when it's chilly outside. If you're looking for a cool recommendation, check out "Forza Horizon 4." It's got a mix of realism and fun that's hard to beat. As for Ride3, mixed reviews happen, but it's awesome that it caught your eye. If you're using your Win10 laptop, an Xbox controller is a popular choice for a seamless experience. Oh, and speaking of gaming benefits, do you know that you can make money playing games? It's a unique twist where you can have fun and potentially earn some cash.

• 1 month later...

Picked up Ride 5 for my gaming laptop. I have ride 4 on my Xbox 1 and I downloaded that one on my laptop too during my deployment this year. It scratched the itch to Ride a little while being over seas and away from my bike lol. Ride 5 is pretty much the same but newer/more bikes, refined graphics(maybe b/c its on a PC/laptop?) But I still enjoy it very much! Worth the pick up! 

• 3 months later...

For a more relaxed and fun-filled approach to racing, titles like Forza Horizon 4 and Need for Speed: Heat strike a balance between realism and arcade-style enjoyment.
As for Ride 3, while it has received mixed reviews, it's worth giving it a try. People have different preferences, and you might find it enjoyable despite the varied opinions.
When it comes to controllers, if you're playing on your Win10 laptop, an Xbox controller is a popular choice. It's comfortable and seamlessly compatible with Windows. Alternatively, you can invest in a racing wheel and pedal set for a more immersive experience. Also, I suggest you consider apps where you can win money.

• 3 months later...

Finding that balance between realism and fun is key. And you're right, everyone's preferences vary, so it's worth giving different titles a shot to see what clicks for you. By the way, have you ever thought about exploring opportunities on how to make 10000 a month outside of gaming? It's cool to pursue hobbies, but it's also great to have some extra income streams!

Boys are starting to call me a "dinosaur", I've not tried any of the sims.