Any real data on leg dangles?

yakaru

When I am at the track discussing technique one of the things I hear from a lot of people when I discuss holding your position by squeezing the tank while on the brakes is that the 'Rossi Leg Dangle' is somehow demonstrative that this is in error. I've not really found this convincing myself, but it is certainly at least getting popular in a lot of circles if for no reason except imitation.

I've read up on a few theories (extra drag, for example) but nothing that sounded really grounded in data. Has anyone done some real analysis on the technique to see what value there is to doing it or if it might just be some psychological benefit?

5 minutes ago, SRod321 said:

Blocking a passing rider to me makes sense, i really don't see how it can help you keep your position on the motorcycle because you're giving up a point of contact with the tank by doing the leg dangle. 

Ever consider that Leg Danglers are using their arms to support themselves? I know...sounds "wrong", right? Well Keith Code found that even high level riders are making basic errors, which is why everyone starts CSS at Level 1.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jaybird180 said:

Ever consider that Leg Danglers are using their arms to support themselves? I know...sounds "wrong", right? Well Keith Code found that even high level riders are making basic errors, which is why everyone starts CSS at Level 1.

I mean, at some point I think you 'have to' take some weight in the arms, but this should be at the onset of the brakes when you're still straight up and down -- as little as possible & they should relax before the turn in starts. (Reference "on fast, off slow" part of the brake lecture). Or am I wrong?

I've wondered about this as well that they can brake hard enough to lift the rear tire without putting stress on the bars and with one leg dangling.  My presumption is that they're locked on well enough with the outside leg and that throwing out the inside leg still allows for them to further shift the CG in to the turn without further shifting around on the bike.  It seems like there would be no way for them to have any front end feel if they were bracing with the arms.

• 4 months later...

A few years back we were at Laguna Seca after WSB, and I asked Leon Camier about this.  His comment was that it was harder to keep the weight off the bars, didn't like that, but it did keep the back end from coming up as much.  

• Like 1

Quartararo, you can see he often keeps both legs into the tank under braking.  I hope he de-thrones Marquez.  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 4:37 PM, Cobie Fair said:

Quartararo, you can see he often keeps both legs into the tank under braking.

I have to believe a solid lock-on with both knees into the tank when braking hard helps (1) keep your arms as relaxed as possible, (2) keep your butt from sliding into the tank, and (3) has you in good position to quickly execute a knee-to-knee / hip-flick motion. Not sure how one could quickly execute a hip-flick when the leg needed to push on the inside of the tank when coming into a corner is dangling off the side. But, Moto GP and WSB riders are on a whole different level of body and bike control, I know, so the pros have to out weight the cons for them. 

To the point above about it keeping the back end from coming around, if does often look like a stabilizing action by these pro riders as the rear of their bikes dance about.  It seems like the more you see bikes sliding around the more you see legs out. For mere mortals I wonder if it would be considered a SR? I guess that depends on how intentional the action is or isn't.  

On 4/10/2020 at 4:37 PM, Cobie Fair said:

I hope he de-thrones Marquez.  

Only a matter of time. 

• 6 months later...

There is an online article quoting Rossi as saying his people had looked at the times for leg-dangle vs not and there was no difference.

The article also had a humorous account of how racers will do odd things because they see other racers do them.

https://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/07/22/the_truth_behind_the_rossi_leg_wave.html

• Like 1