How Fast Do You Go In Public?

just curious how fast you travel on public roads, and if there is any correllation between your public speeds and amount of time you spend on the track.

i have done my share of wild, fast, and stupid things on the street, and that was one of my main reasons for wanting to ride on a track. once i got a taste of track riding and racing, my speeds on public streets dropped sharply, and i took far fewer chances than i used to. i also stopped riding on the street much, since it wasn't anywhere near as fun as riding on the track.

most of my friends who had bikes, rode on the street, and had never been on a track were still insanely fast on the streets, and did a lot of dangerous stunts (unfortunately often trying even harder to "impress" me since they knew i was a "racer"). they would pretty quickly just roll on the throttle and run away from me at triple digit speeds, and i never even bothered to try to catch up.

i have long belieived that getting guys to the track is a great way to get them to slow down on the streets (for the most part), but wonder if any of you have seen the same dynamic.

Well I have to agree. I rarely ride on the street here in the UK for the same reasons. To get a thrill it's too fast to be safe.

So I stick rigidly to the speed limits in towns, cities villages and only really speed on roads that I know really, really well - if at all.

It's easier to keep your licence.

Speed is relative to your environment?

Thought I was just getting old. But now that you mention it, I have to agree. Since I get plenty of track time, I now just cruise around on the public roads (even in the car).

The more I rode on the track the slower I went. That has stopped and reverted a little now but I have friends that will be a distant memory on a street ride because they will gas it up and do triple digits on the street. I just put it in sixth and ride around sitting on the seat. It's not necessarily slow but if it opens up I still just cruise along.

I was riding with one of guys and he took off before I had my helmet and gloves on so I knew he would be pretty far ahead. I was on my Ninja 1000 (an 86 in 88)going the down the south side of Palomar mountain and once I got going I got into a rhythm and was going as fast as I thought was prudent ( way too fast that is). I came out of a right and there he was full tilt getting after it, I pulled the front up as I passed him and set it down to flick it into a left and was gone. I waited for him at the bottom and from then on he waited for me to leave.

I could count on one hand the number of times I have uncorked on the street like that in the last 15 years. That is probably why im still around, I save the tire sliding for the track. Now wheelies are a whole other story.

Will

Ballistic,

You wrote: "I pulled the front up as I passed him and set it down to flick it into a left and was gone." ...kinda like that Barber on bike video?

The Barber ride has some "rhythm" don't you think? "...going as fast as (you) thought was prudent"? I wonder if Keith can tell us what School Level that ride was in?

Kevin Kane

I have gone as fast as 145 in traffic on highway pretty regularly... And, pegged my busa (190 speedo reading) still accelerating on many open roads...

Since I went to racing school, I have toned it way down... I rarely get over 100 MPH now. I no longer split lanes especially at speeds over 100 and I find myself being passed by cages more-and-more.

I can't explain this phenominum, except that the track has changed me. It made me realize how dangerous the streets are.

I will spend alot more time at the track this coming season and will prolly slow down more... Who knows, I may even sell the bus (heaven forbid).

Ride safe y'all,

Vaughn

just curious how fast you travel on public roads, and if there is any correllation between your public speeds and amount of time you spend on the track.

after years of riding on the street, i had a rule that i followed religiously. 'always do the speed limit in/through town.' this is where the majority of accidents happen to bikers so, i'm gonna do everything in my power to avoid aggrevating that potential situation.

after my very first track experience, i did the speed limit everywhere i went. eventually, that wore off. i had previously tested the top speed of my '86 gsxr750 on a lonely stretch of road numerous times. after the track...only once did i break 110-120. as time wore on, i developed my own rules for the street. oddly enough, they were nearly identical to n.ienatsch's 'the pace'...except for the mild hanging off and the occasional double-yellow trespass.

as more time wore on and i had the opportunity to spend a lot of time on the track, my street riding completely disappeared. sometimes, i think i miss it. then i ask myself, 'where would i go, what would i do?' the answer is quickly followed up with, 'nah, what fun would that be?' so...i'm hoping to get a jeep wrangler for my 'open air' jaunts on the street. at least with that, i could 'detour' and have some fun.

is there a correlation? i'd say yes.

In LA traffic, there is no better way to get around, and I still enjoy it.

My rule of thumb is, "What if that car did so and so, do I have an out, do I have an option?" When the answer is "no" I think that the dangerous point has been reached, and I don't do it (with very rare excpetion). And I try and be polite too. I rarely get any dramas from the car guys, and mostly get good manners from them.

Hot rides in the canyons, not worth it, unless I'd have some friends and it was just a social event.

CF

I definitely go slower on the street since I started riding at the track. In fact, most guys I ride with leave me in the mountains. I just do not feel comfortable going fast (recall this is all relative) in the mountains. I always feel like I am on cold tires and I do not like the feeling of not knowing the surface of the road. Even if you know a certain stretch like the back of your hand, there are so many hazards. I found some radiator fluid two years ago. Cost me a gixxer. And, I was only going forty mph or so.

Now, out in the desert is another story. I have a touring bike that I like to do long rides on and I have no problem cruising at triple digits in the desert (though I got a big fat ticket at the California/Arizona border a few years ago?..