Career In Racing?

Hi, my brother and I got into an argument as to starting a career in motorcycle racing.

Here's the situation: I'm a 20 yr old guy living at home, I have taken a motorcycle riding course, I have own two motorcycles; an fz750 and a ysr50 both are not running (the fz is more closer to running condition), I have a toyota yaris as a car, I make about 10 CAD an hour, and I live in vancouver BC.

Here's the thing: I want to get into motorcycle racing but motorcycle road racing is a bit expensive for me especially since I haven't taken a riding school and I only have like a few months of real experience. So instead I have started planning on doing the local autocross events since it is cheaper to learn how to plant reference points, lines, being smooth, etc,... After my first autocross, my car has a huge crack on the bumper and a few new scratches, I decide to buy another car that is specifically for autocrossing. He thinks that it's a waste of time because he thinks racing a car and racing a bike are that much different, I think he's just narrow-minded. Is there a better solution to go about this? Is it THAT hard to transfer skill from one machine to another?

I think he's just narrow-minded. Is there a better solution to go about this? Is it THAT hard to transfer skill from one machine to another?

Hi Yamfz,

There have been very few motorcycle racers that have gone on to become world class car racers--John Surtees might be the only one?

There have been no car racers that have gone on to become world champion motorcycle racers. While some form of car racing could be helpful, if you really want to get into racing bikes, you should push in that direction. There are some cheaper ways to get in to it, starting with small, less expensive bikes. Some race YSR-50's in parking lot courses. If you want to race bikes, race bikes!

Best,

Cobie

I think he's just narrow-minded. Is there a better solution to go about this? Is it THAT hard to transfer skill from one machine to another?

Hi Yamfz,

There have been very few motorcycle racers that have gone on to become world class car racers--John Surtees might be the only one?

There have been no car racers that have gone on to become world champion motorcycle racers. While some form of car racing could be helpful, if you really want to get into racing bikes, you should push in that direction. There are some cheaper ways to get in to it, starting with small, less expensive bikes. Some race YSR-50's in parking lot courses. If you want to race bikes, race bikes!

Best,

Cobie

I'll think about this one, thanks for your input Cobie.

Hey yamfz

I'm a coach with the school and also live in Vancouver BC. I started racing at wmrra.com which is the club in Seattle. I bought an old beat up old SV 650 and did budget racing for two years before moving onwards and upwards. There is also a track out at Mission and the club there is wmrc.ca. Either place you can get your race licence and head to the track for weekends to practice. The SV is cheap on tires etc, crashes well and doesn't cost much to repair (trust me I threw it down at least 8 times!) People at the track are amazing at helping out new riders and everyone has tricks for saving a buck or two here or there....

Feel free to ask me anything and I hope I can help out!

Oh, and I highly recomend a career in motorcycle racaing! It's a blast :)

Misti

www.mistihurst.com

• 9 months later...
Also check out the AMRA they do mini motorcycle road racing in Canada. There is also a club in Vancouver, BC.

http://www.amra.ca

Hello Misti,

Wow, I saw you on Sat, and I can't believe that I am actually got to meet a professional racer :)

It is my dream, I am working my way and taking your class one by one and keep practicing. There is no shortcut :), I had Cobie Fair as my instructor and I he is a really good coach and very nice.

Well, I am just very exciting about what I have learned on Saturday and how I can ride better in just one day.

What do you recommend for a entry level like me? - My Goal is to take Level II, III, IV then Code RACE and start to entering some race. What is the best way to work my way up?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Far J.

Hi Far J,

That's a pretty good start that you have planned, with getting some coaching first. After that (and even at the same time) you might see about getting some other track days in to practice, and find out about racing in your area, check out the local racing scene. Local club racing is where you would go next. If you don't already have it, get a subscription to ROADRACING WORLD magazine (on line also). Of course the Twist of the Wrist books (and Soft Science) are the best reference material, get those if you don't have them!

Best,

Cobie Fair

ps---but of course, I'm biased :)

Hi Far J,

That's a pretty good start that you have planned, with getting some coaching first. After that (and even at the same time) you might see about getting some other track days in to practice, and find out about racing in your area, check out the local racing scene. Local club racing is where you would go next. If you don't already have it, get a subscription to ROADRACING WORLD magazine (on line also). Of course the Twist of the Wrist books (and Soft Science) are the best reference material, get those if you don't have them!

Best,

Cobie Fair

ps---but of course, I'm biased :)

Hello Cobie,

I have placed an order for Twist of the Wrist and Twist of the Wrist II on Monday right after class, and that will be my soft science. Also, I will start doing some track days to practice at Street of Willows, then next year I will start to taking Level II, and so on and finish up with Code RACE. Finally, I will register for Novice class and race at WSMC in 600 Super Stock Class.

I will keep practicing :) Sound like a good plan Cobie? :)

Thanks and Best Regards,

Far J.