Newbie's Guide To Surviving The Cornering Forum

css

Newbie's guide to surviving the Cornering Forum!

WELCOME...You may have just started riding, or may be a veteran with years of experience under your belt. In any case, if you are reading this, chances are, you are a "Newbie" to the Cornering Forum. Here are some pointers to make your stay here more enjoyable, and to bring you up to speed on things around here.

Register

You can't participate if you don't sign up. Registration is not instant, every registration is verified by a real person to keep the wackos out (at least those that would rather sell you a plastic rubber chicken than ride). There are a ton of spammers that would like to make our board their personal billboard. to prevent that from happening we review all the registrations.

It may take a day or two to get approved, if you really want to post now, fill out the registration, and then send an email with the name and email you registered under to DISCUSSIONBOARD at SUPERBIKESCHOOL dot COM or call the office during normal business hours. Otherwise sit tight and you will get approved typically within 24 hours.

Introducing yourself

If you are just lurking here, STOP IT! Go ahead and say hello to the community in the Newbies section. Go on. No one will bite you. (Unless of course, you are into that kind of thing)

Searching the forum

Chances are, your questions have already been asked and answered many times before, so do a search on the topic first. Things like which what is the difference between a one day and two day school, if short riders can use a school bike, GP shift patterns, how not to crash (don't ask Mike), which oil to use (silkolene), how to wash the bike (don't ask Will), how to clean the chain (don't ask James), etc., have been discussed many times before. Search for them first using the link found around the top-right of the page. But don't be afraid to ask anything, that is why the forum is here.

Post count under a user's name

It doesn't mean they are any good at motorcycling, or know what they are talking about. But it does mean that they have been around here long enough to know who is who, know the inside jokes, and are probably willing to help if they racked up that many posts.

Treating other members

The school's motorcycling world closer than you may realize. You are bound to run into someone sooner or later. You may be stock somewhere in the middle of nowhere and a person you just met yesterday at a school may come to your rescue. Treat everyone on this board like you are going to see them tomorrow standing next to your riding coach.

Ongoing jokes - don't get offended until you are sure it is meant to offend you

As a new member, you may find things that don't make sense or are not what they seem, there are some ongoing inside jokes that may come as a surprise to an outsider or a new comer. These jokes are part of the forum's fun nature, and nothing more should be read into them.

Do not take it personally.

Signatures

Please use your head...basically, no large signtures, and no quotes from other users in your signature without first checking with them and receiving their permission.

Using Private Messaging (PM) and emails

Many new users, when setting their Options, choose to hide their email, or choose to set "Enable Private Messaging?" to No. Suggestion: leave the PM option ON, even if you want to hide your email.

Also, modify your settings such that when you receive a PM, an email is automatically sent to you (by the system, not the user) to notify you that you have a PM. This is a great option that is a must. To view your PMs, click on the UserCP link on top of the page, then click on Private Messages link.

SPAM

People here do not like spammers at all. Even though you may feel like you are offering people some amazing deals on goods or services, if it comes across as SPAM, people won't like it, and SPAM posts are usually deleted right away. If you have a business you want to promote, or you have means of providing a service and making money from it, you are best to contact the school to see what it takes to become a school sponsor and promote your business through the school properly.

An area that may be of interest to you...

Keith's Article Forum: where Keith posts articles between books

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/forum/18-articles-by-keith/

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Well, I'm not that new, but this section is, so I'm going to start off.

I"m Cobie Fair, Chief Riding Coach (Worldwide) for the Superbike School. My main duties at the school are overseeing the on-track coaching, and training the coaches. Each branch of the school (UK and OZ) have their own Chief Riding Coaches.

OK, so the rest of you, post away (and introduce yourselves!)

Best,

Cobie :D

• Like 1

I'm not new, either, but just want to give a brief intro. I'm Lisa, a middle-aged old woman who rides an '02 Ninja ZX6R and '02 Kawasaki ZR7S. I've been riding nearly 8 years and have done Levels I & II of CSS at Pocono. I am always learning, and riding is one of my greatest joys in life.

• Like 1

Hi to all. I've been a lurker here for many moons, but I'm guessing it's time for me to acknowledge that I'm a member. If you ride with any of the school's tracks in the SoCal area, you've probably seen me. I'm one of those who wave that obnoxious blue flag at you when you drag hard parts.

Actually, I'm really enjoying lurking Reading the thoughts of Cobie, Will, Stuman and of course "The Guru" himself inspires me to ride more efficiently.

Regards,

Jim

YZF R1 :)

Hello everyone - my name is Kevin Kane and I have attended a number of Superbike Schools since my Level I class at Watkins Glen in 2001. From there I've been to Pocono, then VIR, Streets of Willow Springs, Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca and finally Loudon. Started Corner Working this past season at Pocono and hope to continue with that this year.

Kevin

My name is Jeffro, and I am a bike-o-holic....

Oh wait, wrong forum. :blink:

I'm Jeff "Jeffro" Rozycki, and I am a returning instructor with this fine school. I hope to get a chance to meet some of you at the track this year. Last year was my first back after about a 5 year break, and I realized how much I missed the school and the people. Happy to be back again for 2007!!!!

Hi All,

My name's Alan from Dublin in Ireland. I currently ride a 2006 Yamaha R6.

Attended levels 1 & 2 last year with the UK team at Mondello Park. Enjoyed it so much I had to visit Willow springs in the autumn to do levels 3 & 4 as a welcome diversion from the job training I was over for.

Look forward to attending for another bash at level 4 when CSS visit Mondello again in May. :D

Hi All,

My name's Alan from Dublin in Ireland. I currently ride a 2006 Yamaha R6.

Attended levels 1 & 2 last year with the UK team at Mondello Park. Enjoyed it so much I had to visit Willow springs in the autumn to do levels 3 & 4 as a welcome diversion from the job training I was over for.

Look forward to attending for another bash at level 4 when CSS visit Mondello again in May. :D

Welcome Roxtar.

Keith

My name is Brian Evans. I live in Columbus, OH and I love roadracing. I have attended three level of California Superbike School all at Mid-Ohio and I am planning on completing level IV Summer '07 at Mid-Ohio! Can't wait! I have learned so much from this school and I am a true student of the craft. I am currently reading Twist of the Wrist Vol. I and about to begin Vol. II in a few weeks. After completing my first level of CSSS back in 2001, I promptly went off for a race weekend with the Championship Cup Series and had a blast on my MV Agusta F4. since then I have owned a couple of Ducatis and my current bike is a track-prepped 2004 ZX-10R that's much faster then I am. Last year I completed an all-time season high of 15 track days and managed to improve my times at Mid-Ohio and Barber Motorsports Park by 10 seconds! I am now able to lap consistently around 1:38 at both tracks. I have ridden VIR (North & South corse), Putnam Park, Beaver Run, Mid-Ohio and Barber (my favorite). My goals for 2007 are to improve my lap times another 5-6 seconds by focusing on braking and body position and getting my heart rate down a bit! Glad to be here and I look forward to learning a bunch....sorry for the extended rambling!

-Brian Evans

My name is Brian Evans. I live in Columbus, OH and I love roadracing. I have attended three level of California Superbike School all at Mid-Ohio and I am planning on completing level IV Summer '07 at Mid-Ohio! Can't wait! I have learned so much from this school and I am a true student of the craft. I am currently reading Twist of the Wrist Vol. I and about to begin Vol. II in a few weeks. After completing my first level of CSSS back in 2001, I promptly went off for a race weekend with the Championship Cup Series and had a blast on my MV Agusta F4. since then I have owned a couple of Ducatis and my current bike is a track-prepped 2004 ZX-10R that's much faster then I am. Last year I completed an all-time season high of 15 track days and managed to improve my times at Mid-Ohio and Barber Motorsports Park by 10 seconds! I am now able to lap consistently around 1:38 at both tracks. I have ridden VIR (North & South corse), Putnam Park, Beaver Run, Mid-Ohio and Barber (my favorite). My goals for 2007 are to improve my lap times another 5-6 seconds by focusing on braking and body position and getting my heart rate down a bit! Glad to be here and I look forward to learning a bunch....sorry for the extended rambling!

-Brian Evans

Welcome Brian,

Very impressive butof course we expected nothing less...! Glad to hear you are coming to Mid Ohio again this summer, we'll be there same time same station as always, just after the August AMA races.

Post any questions and we'll see if we can answer them.

Best,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome Keith, maybe I'll see you before the AMA races in Ohio at MotoGp @ Laguna!

Brian,

Nice to have you aboard!

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm Lachie. I ride a K1 GSXR750 track bike and a YZF600R Thundercat for the road. I look after course control for the California Superbike School in Melbourne Australia. I get to play on the GP circuit at Phillip Island quite regularly!! Looking forward to chatting with you guys in the future. Cheers

Phillip Island! Lucky guy!!!

Hi all, I'm Lachie. I ride a K1 GSXR750 track bike and a YZF600R Thundercat for the road. I look after course control for the California Superbike School in Melbourne Australia. I get to play on the GP circuit at Phillip Island quite regularly!! Looking forward to chatting with you guys in the future. Cheers

Its tough I know, but I somehow manage... !!!

Phillip Island! Lucky guy!!!

• 8 months later...

Hi all, I'm Kristi, local to Southern California.

I'm new to the forum, but not to the Superbike School. Whether being a student, corner worker or Mechanic's Little Helper, I find a way to be around the track as frequently as possible. I've been riding for 1 year, and have been getting into club racing with my '06 Kawasaki ZX-6R. Nice to meet you folks. :)

Hi all, I'm Kristi, local to Southern California.

I'm new to the forum, but not to the Superbike School. Whether being a student, corner worker or Mechanic's Little Helper, I find a way to be around the track as frequently as possible. I've been riding for 1 year, and have been getting into club racing with my '06 Kawasaki ZX-6R. Nice to meet you folks. :)

Dobro po¾alovat'

Willkommen

Benvenuta

Witamy

Aloha

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm Macky from Manila, Philippines....

I'm very far from any CSS event but I've read twist of the wrist 1 and 2. I'm a newbie, riding for 3 months now and racking up 4000kms on my GSXR600 K6. I was influenced by my friend, Jotle Viray, who is one of your students from the Philippines. I'm very happy to join this community and hopefully get some tips to improve my riding and make it more enjoyable.

I'm very far from any CSS event but I've read twist of the wrist 1 and 2. I'm a newbie, riding for 3 months now and racking up 4000kms on my GSXR600 K6. I was influenced by my friend, Jotle Viray, who is one of your students from the Philippines. I'm very happy to join this community and hopefully get some tips to improve my riding and make it more enjoyable.

Hi Macky,

Glad to have you up on the board and welcome. Never having been to the Philippines, what are your ridig options there---any racetracks?

best,

Cobie

Hi Macky,

Glad to have you up on the board and welcome. Never having been to the Philippines, what are your ridig options there---any racetracks?

best,

Cobie

Hi Cobie,

Thanks for the welcome! We only have one race track here in the country and it's a good 2 hour ride from the city. So basically most of us bike enthusiasts here are road riders. Lots of twisty roads up the mountains here in the Philippines. I would love to take part in one of your classes but I guess I need to save up for my plane ticket. Australia CSS is also an option but still far away from me. So I'm just learning from my friend who took classes in US and Australia CSS. And also going over and over my Twist of the Wrist books :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum but have been riding for years now. I'm a track day junkie and my true passion is the art of performance riding! I have taken levels 1&2 of the Keith Code Superbike School at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio. I'm a member of Sportbike Track Time track day club and hopefully will be a track day instructor this year. If you have any questions about Mid-Ohio just ask because thats where I do most of my track days!