Newbie's Guide To Surviving The Cornering Forum

css

Hello everyone. I've been guilty of being a "lurker" for a while now and thought I would get involved. My name is Tanner and I live about an hour south of Chicago, IL. Not really a prime location for roadracing. Plenty of crazy highway stunters, but not much in the track scene. I've done Levels I and II at blackhawk farms and Mid-Ohio. I used the school as my intro to the track scene and have yet to participate in a track day. I am excited though that they built an awesome facility about 15 minutes from my home, the Autobohn Country Club in Joliet, IL. I am signed up for some track action this summer. I see that blackhawk farms isn't on the 2008 school schedule, wondering what happened. Hopefully the school comes back, or better yet, comes to Joliet. That would be awesome!!!

Hi Cobie,

Thanks for the welcome! We only have one race track here in the country and it's a good 2 hour ride from the city. So basically most of us bike enthusiasts here are road riders. Lots of twisty roads up the mountains here in the Philippines. I would love to take part in one of your classes but I guess I need to save up for my plane ticket. Australia CSS is also an option but still far away from me. So I'm just learning from my friend who took classes in US and Australia CSS. And also going over and over my Twist of the Wrist books :)

Hi Macky

Never been to the Philippines, like to some day. 2 hours away, that's not bad to get to a track, most in the US are further than that, you have to drive a bit more.

The books are excellent, but hope we do see you at a school some time!

Best,

Cobie

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum but have been riding for years now. I'm a track day junkie and my true passion is the art of performance riding! I have taken levels 1&2 of the Keith Code Superbike School at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio. I'm a member of Sportbike Track Time track day club and hopefully will be a track day instructor this year. If you have any questions about Mid-Ohio just ask because thats where I do most of my track days!

Hi sduteil,

Mid-Ohio is for sure one of my favorites, has been for years.

Welcome aboard!

Best,

Cobie

Hello everyone. I've been guilty of being a "lurker" for a while now and thought I would get involved. My name is Tanner and I live about an hour south of Chicago, IL. Not really a prime location for roadracing. Plenty of crazy highway stunters, but not much in the track scene. I've done Levels I and II at blackhawk farms and Mid-Ohio. I used the school as my intro to the track scene and have yet to participate in a track day. I am excited though that they built an awesome facility about 15 minutes from my home, the Autobohn Country Club in Joliet, IL. I am signed up for some track action this summer. I see that blackhawk farms isn't on the 2008 school schedule, wondering what happened. Hopefully the school comes back, or better yet, comes to Joliet. That would be awesome!!!

Tgriff1222,

Glad you quit lurking and came out of the closet :)

There are a few things that all have to come together for a track date to work on our schedule, one of which is how does it fit in with the rest of the schedule, what does the track offer, is it a track students really want to go to, to name a few. Blackhawk didn't work out this year, and one thing that we would prefer is a track that had a better off-track training facility (so we can train the Lean Bike, Slide Bike, Brake Bike, etc.).

Hope we see you at another track in 2008.

Best,

Cobie

Hi Macky

2 hours away, that's not bad to get to a track, most in the US are further than that...

Right?

Two hours? That's like two whole hours?

Must be nice! LOL!

The average drive for me is 8-12 hours in a single region. Forget about driving 2-3 days to get to Daytona or Laguna.

That said, with Beaver Run open now, there are now two tracks within two hours of Pittsburgh.

• 4 months later...
Hi all, I'm Kristi, local to Southern California.

I'm new to the forum, but not to the Superbike School. Whether being a student, corner worker or Mechanic's Little Helper, I find a way to be around the track as frequently as possible. I've been riding for 1 year, and have been getting into club racing with my '06 Kawasaki ZX-6R. Nice to meet you folks. :)

Dobro po¾alovat'

Willkommen

Benvenuta

Witamy

Aloha

Racer,

Did you just tell Glamazon she was hot!

Dobro po¾alovat'

Willkommen

Benvenuta

Witamy

Aloha

Racer,

Did you just tell Glamazon she was hot!

Every word in that post means the same thing: Welcome!

PS - Please do not ogle the female forum members.

• 4 months later...

Greetings,I'm Albert from NY. This year I attended Levels I and II. Level I at Pocono in May and then level II at Mid-Ohio in August. I attended the school in 1990 at Loudon, NH. I currently ride a 2004 CBR 1000RR and look forward to doing level III, likely in early '09.

Greetings,I'm Albert from NY. This year I attended Levels I and II. Level I at Pocono in May and then level II at Mid-Ohio in August. I attended the school in 1990 at Loudon, NH. I currently ride a 2004 CBR 1000RR and look forward to doing level III, likely in early '09.

Hi Albert,

Good to hear from you, and back after a long time off! I was at the schools in '90, not sure if we met then or not.

How do you like the changes in the school since then?

Best,

Cobie

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,My name is Bill, I'm from the SF Bay Area of California. We are lucky in this area, we can do track days at Luguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill, and Willow Springs, all within 3 hours drive. I joined a few days ago, I have a few questions. 1: I tried adding a personal photo, but it doesn't show up on the forum,(at least I can't see it), any help?2: how do you add the quote from someone else reply to your reply?any Help?Thanks

Hello all,My name is Bill, I'm from the SF Bay Area of California. We are lucky in this area, we can do track days at Luguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill, and Willow Springs, all within 3 hours drive. I joined a few days ago, I have a few questions. 1: I tried adding a personal photo, but it doesn't show up on the forum,(at least I can't see it), any help?2: how do you add the quote from someone else reply to your reply?any Help?Thanks

Hi Bill,

Didn't add the photo myself, but I'll find out.

Regarding the quotes: normally just hit the "reply" button, and it will include the quote. To include it as a quote, needs a bracket and the word quote [quot] then another braket with a backslash and the word quote to end it [/quot].

I deleted the "e" in quote, so it would show you, and not be a quote.

Hope that makes sense.

Another aid is the BB Code help, bottom right.

Best,

Cobie

Hello all,my name is Brandon and i'm from louisiana. I've been riding for a couple of years now and i'm going to try to better educate myself to raise my level of riding. I came across this site while researching different schools. I believe that i am going to try to attend the barber school dates. Everyone seems to be very informative here on this site. Looking forward to chatting with everyone. thanks

Hey, Chopper bill. Go to Edit Avatar Settings to add a pic that will show on the forum. Change Personal Photo is just a pic that will show on your profile.

Hello all,my name is Brandon and i'm from louisiana. I've been riding for a couple of years now and i'm going to try to better educate myself to raise my level of riding. I came across this site while researching different schools. I believe that i am going to try to attend the barber school dates. Everyone seems to be very informative here on this site. Looking forward to chatting with everyone. thanks

Brandon;

Welcome to the Forum. This is a pretty good place to share riding ideas, ask questions, offer responses or to just post observations.

Kevin

Hi Bill,

Regarding the quotes: normally just hit the "reply" button, and it will include the quote. To include it as a quote, needs a bracket and the word quote [quot] then another braket with a backslash and the word quote to end it [/quot].

Hope that makes sense.

Best,

Cobie

ok, thanks, got the qoute pert . Now if I could only get my personal photo up.

Hi Bill,

Hope that makes sense.

Best,

Cobie

Go to my controls, top right hand of the screen, into avitar settings and upload your picture there!

Hi Bill,

Hope that makes sense.

Best,

Cobie

Go to my controls, top right hand of the screen, into avitar settings and upload your picture there!

Thanks Ace, Now can you come to Sears Point and show me the correct line for turn 2?

I'm a bit of a lurker so I'm gonna say hi too.

My name is Steve, I'm 19 years old, I'm from the UK and I've been riding for about a year. Of course, at my age I'm limited to 125cc but am looking into lessons to get me onto a full license sometime after christmas. I've racked up 5,000 miles since September '07 just riding to work and odd journies elsewhere as my bike is my only form of transport. I also tend to ride in any weather for that reason, including snow (very scary, never again). But at least when I go to my bike shop I can feel a bit better when fair weather bikers say "Wouldn't want to ride in that!".

I'm a bit of a lurker so I'm gonna say hi too.

My name is Steve, I'm 19 years old, I'm from the UK and I've been riding for about a year. Of course, at my age I'm limited to 125cc but am looking into lessons to get me onto a full license sometime after christmas. I've racked up 5,000 miles since September '07 just riding to work and odd journies elsewhere as my bike is my only form of transport. I also tend to ride in any weather for that reason, including snow (very scary, never again). But at least when I go to my bike shop I can feel a bit better when fair weather bikers say "Wouldn't want to ride in that!".

Hi Steve,

Glad you are up here, and welcome. Riding in the snow eh? We don't get a lot of that in SoCal, don't think I've been in the snow since I was in college in New Mexico.

What kind of bike do you have--what are the options in the UK on a 125?

Best,

Cobie

Hi Brandon,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you up here. What is riding like in Louisiana, got any good curvy roads close to you?

Best,

Cobie

I've got to admit, once in the snow was enough!

I ride a Yamaha YB100, it's nothing powerful but it was free and a great project to get myself into bike mechanics. Also I'm getting about 100 miles from £7-8 of fuel (about $10 I think) and paying £20 a year road tax, it's the ultimate in low-cost riding.

With 125s, most people in Britain go for the commuter style ones but I've seen kids younger than me nearly wipe themselves out on some pretty quick 125 supermotos.

I've got to admit, once in the snow was enough!

I ride a Yamaha YB100, it's nothing powerful but it was free and a great project to get myself into bike mechanics. Also I'm getting about 100 miles from £7-8 of fuel (about $10 I think) and paying £20 a year road tax, it's the ultimate in low-cost riding.

With 125s, most people in Britain go for the commuter style ones but I've seen kids younger than me nearly wipe themselves out on some pretty quick 125 supermotos.

Pretty smart way to get into it, and cost effective too. So to clarify, is that 100 miles per gallon? And don't you guys have imperial gallons, a bit bigger than ours?

CF

Hi,

My name in Nick Patavalis. I'm from Athens, Greece. I'm 35, and I ride for quite some time now. I've never been on a race track (we have two in Greece), but I've racked-up a couple of hundred-thousand kilometers on the road. Apart from commuting and using the bike for everyday chores (I rarely, if ever, use a car), I also enjoy frequent "pleasure rides" on the many twisty, beautifully scenic, yet sometimes quite slippery, roads of my country. I ride all year long (that's easy to do in Greece, the weather helps) and I have developed the strange perversion to consider it "normal" to ride, on a whim, to the far end of the country---maybe 400 or 500 kilometers away, mostly on back roads---just to have a cup of coffee with a friend, and then back. But I guess all bikers are crazy in this way...

I recently discovered the "twist of the wrist" books and enjoyed reading them, immensely. There's a wealth of information in both of them, but I especially enjoyed volume II, which seemed to me much more practical and developed than volume I (I think volume I was kind of "setting the stage" by providing a solid methodology for approaching the art of riding, while volume II applied this methodology to reach to actual conclusions---I may, of course, be wrong).

Anyway. I hope I'll learn more from the discussions in this forum, and I also hope that I will soon have the chance to attend some CSS classes.

(Also, sorry if my English is not perfect)

Cheers!

Hello to everyone posting here. Whether you're on a small bike or haven't done track, this is a great forum to learn on. I've gotten a lot of my knowledge from this site, and clarification of things I've learned from some very knowledgeable people here.