Newbie's Guide To Surviving The Cornering Forum

css

Level one is not beginner, it's the most critical stuff first. All the top guys we have trained have liked it.

• 4 months later...

hello all, my name is noah.

i have been riding for close to 5 yrs, i currently own a derbi gpr 72cc bigbore,that is waiting to be legal again. i learned of kieth's book from performance bikes magazine, and both books have been my 2nd bible. i would love to some day attend the school, but my 1yr old takes up most my time, and we are tight on money as im sure most are currently. but until my bike is legal, i continue to study the books to keep my mind on riding(i need to re-bind them).

i learned of the forum searching some threads on the BARF, and i figured "hey at least go say hi and get to know the people behind it all, give them my thanks"

so.. thank you kieth and all those who inspired him and help him to teach his findings to those willing to listen.

i have been riding for close to 5 yrs, i currently own a derbi gpr 72cc bigbore,that is waiting to be legal again. i learned of kieth's book from performance bikes magazine, and both books have been my 2nd bible. i would love to some day attend the school, but my 1yr old takes up most my time, and we are tight on money as im sure most are currently. but until my bike is legal, i continue to study the books to keep my mind on riding(i need to re-bind them).

i learned of the forum searching some threads on the BARF, and i figured "hey at least go say hi and get to know the people behind it all, give them my thanks"

so.. thank you kieth and all those who inspired him and help him to teach his findings to those willing to listen.

Hi Skin,

Great to hear that, and I'll forward this to Keith. We don't get many Derbi's here (can't recall the last time I saw one in fact). Hope we do get you at a school soon, but the books are great, and the new DVD is really worth it.

Where are you from?

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...

Im new here, Im from Reno NV, I have been street riding since I was 16, im now 48 and figure its time to learn the right way to ride since I have been wanting to do some track days. I currently ride a Ducati 1198, but for some reason I want a Ninja 250 to fix up for a track bike. I watched them race and they just look like a blast to ride.

I will be attending a class as soon as I can financially swing it in this tough economy.

Im new here, Im from Reno NV, I have been street riding since I was 16, im now 48 and figure its time to learn the right way to ride since I have been wanting to do some track days. I currently ride a Ducati 1198, but for some reason I want a Ninja 250 to fix up for a track bike. I watched them race and they just look like a blast to ride.

I will be attending a class as soon as I can financially swing it in this tough economy.

Hi Whylee,

Hope we see you soon. The 250's are a hoot, we used to have some at the school.

CF

Hey Whylee. I was thinking about a 250 also, but I think the limit to those would really impede your riding, especially when you're used to so much power. I'd be alright with them in a school environment, but on a trackday, it would take a lot of shifting, and would inhibit some of the things you'd work on instead of riding a bike you may have to use 2-3 different gears otherwise.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

*** Can I have access to, or could someone please edit, the initial post? It's killing me.

Hey Whylee. I was thinking about a 250 also, but I think the limit to those would really impede your riding, especially when you're used to so much power. I'd be alright with them in a school environment, but on a trackday, it would take a lot of shifting, and would inhibit some of the things you'd work on instead of riding a bike you may have to use 2-3 different gears otherwise.

*** Can I have access to, or could someone please edit, the initial post? It's killing me.

'Zilla;

Which post? Your first one was fine but the topic starter was Keith's and his are off limits...

Raiman

Really, I was under the impression that the smaller bike would actually let me concentrate more on techniqe. At least thats what others have been saying. I do see your point on trackdays, I would hate to get in others way because I know the little ninjas dont have the power to keep up with the big dogs.

Hi Skin,

Great to hear that, and I'll forward this to Keith. We don't get many Derbi's here (can't recall the last time I saw one in fact). Hope we do get you at a school soon, but the books are great, and the new DVD is really worth it.

Where are you from?

Best,

Cobie

hey cobie, yeah not many derbis much anywhere i suppose lol. its hard to get good rubber fer the year i have because the wheels are 16in, but i work with what i have and keep in mind that not too long ago people were doin more with less than what we have these days. im from austin texas, home of my hero kevin schwantz(wayne is also my hero).

i dont get much time to get on the puter srry if my responses are far apart. cheers i will up load my pics of the bike later tonite. i got a video of it but havent looked into the rules of posting vids on here, but its on you tube under derbi gpr50

thnx guys catchyas on the flippyflop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guess I am the newest. Been "road racing" since the mid 60's and am almost that old. Hoping to attend at Miller this year. Alot to learn, more bad habits to forget. Best to all. RJW...

Hi RJW,

Glad you are here, hope you make it to Miller (it will be fun on the new bikes).

Best,

CF

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and to CSS and I just wanted to send a big thanks to Andy and his team in the UK for an amazing couple of days at Brands Hatch this week. I will be back for level 3 as soon as I've got my my head around the last two and managed to get some practise in and I will certainly recommending the school to anyone who even looks at a bike.

It wasn't just the coaches that made it such a great couple of days or even the rest of the staff, (who I should say were absolutely brilliant,) it was also the other students as well. I met some really great people.

Cheers

Jon

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and to CSS and I just wanted to send a big thanks to Andy and his team in the UK for an amazing couple of days at Brands Hatch this week. I will be back for level 3 as soon as I've got my my head around the last two and managed to get some practise in and I will certainly recommending the school to anyone who even looks at a bike.

It wasn't just the coaches that made it such a great couple of days or even the rest of the staff, (who I should say were absolutely brilliant,) it was also the other students as well. I met some really great people.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks for your great note, really glad you had a great day.

I'm sure you'll have questions, so please do ask

Bullet

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm Ritwik and am from India. Have been riding for the past four years and sadly missed the first session of CSS here. Not yet been to the track (sadly) but intend to remedy that very soon. Looking forward to attending Level I and II when you guys come down here in Jan 2011. Oh...forgot, I ride a (puny by your standards) 150cc Yamaha YZF-R15.

Hi Ritwik, and welcome to the forum.

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to make the trip to India this year, but looks like Keith will be going :).

See if he wants to ride your 150!

Best,

Cobie

Hi Ritwik, and welcome to the forum.

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to make the trip to India this year, but looks like Keith will be going :).

See if he wants to ride your 150!

Best,

Cobie

Bummer :D. Hope you make it for the next installment. haha yeah i'l offer him a ride for sure...if he fancies it. Is Andy gonna be here this time? He was here in Jan 2010 and have heard he's a blast to learn from. So looking forward to having a lotta fun.

• 2 months later...

Hello. I'm new to the forum, but not to motorcycling. I'm 56 and have been riding for 42 years. Time flies...... Only the last 2 years have been on the track with a dedicated Yamaha YZF-R6 but the technology and skill of track riding is intoxicating. I'm hoping to attend the Superbike school in 2011 as I've gone as far as I dare on my own. Nothing too scary but not much progress lately either! There is a lot of fine information on this forum and I'm glad people contribute.

post-17998-12929574458_thumb.jpg

Hi Flyerguy,

Welcome, glad you like the content.

What do you ride, where, chime in and give us some info!

Best,

Cobie

Cobie,

I'm from Iowa now, but originally West Coast. I wonder how many can say they started out motorcycle riding on a Whizzer? Mine was a 1947 model bought from my older brother in 1968 and you may laugh but it was FAST! Nothing like the new ones. It could do 50 and had no brakes to speak of. We ran alongside pushing to start it, easier than pedaling. Two years later I bought a real bike, a 1969 Honda CB350 which was by far the biggest bike in the High School parking lot in 1971. I've owned several Hondas since. Plus Suzuki, BMW, Yamaha, Indian, and Aprilia, they're all great.

Iowa is straight north-south/east-west roads. You're never lost, just sidestepped from your destination. The roads are boring but the traffic is nill. And since we have thousands of miles of rural gravel roads there's a little more challenge than it seems. We have a track in Glenwood, Iowa, just a few minutes out of Omaha for the curves. But no real riding schools here. A good local program is an unstructured Monday afternoon track day every 2 weeks. About 15-25 guys show up and since not everyone is riding all at once, you often have the track mostly to yourself.

A track to oneself, nice!

What is the name of that track? And what kind of condition is it in?

Another question: as you have ""flyer in you name, are you a pilot?

CF

A track to oneself, nice!

What is the name of that track? And what kind of condition is it in?

Another question: as you have ""flyer in you name, are you a pilot?

CF

Cobie,

Mid America Motoplex is a completely flat track with good surface everywhere. Runoffs are mostly level grass which is fine unless thunderstorms wet it down in which case you'll fall if you go off. They run cars as well, and if you ride it the day after a car race you find incredible traction because of all the rubber on the track. Very noticeable. Probably a bit boring compared to some tracks but 75 miles away is close and easy out here and the mood is midwest relaxed. Yup, I'm a lifelong pilot, airplanes, helicopters, gliders, and balloons. I make my living building and restoring antique airplanes and parts, and flew commercially for years in Oregon, Washington, Alaska and California. I still visit California in the winter. I wish you had your schools then!

Cobie,

Mid America Motoplex is a completely flat track with good surface everywhere. Runoffs are mostly level grass which is fine unless thunderstorms wet it down in which case you'll fall if you go off. They run cars as well, and if you ride it the day after a car race you find incredible traction because of all the rubber on the track. Very noticeable. Probably a bit boring compared to some tracks but 75 miles away is close and easy out here and the mood is midwest relaxed. Yup, I'm a lifelong pilot, airplanes, helicopters, gliders, and balloons. I make my living building and restoring antique airplanes and parts, and flew commercially for years in Oregon, Washington, Alaska and California. I still visit California in the winter. I wish you had your schools then!

Mid America, got it.

Flying, another interest! I come from a family of pilots, but didn't follow in that. We'll have to get together at some point and talk about what you are doing, and I can pass along some flying lies :).

Best,

CF

Well, I'm not that new, but this section is, so I'm going to start off.

I"m Cobie Fair, Chief Riding Coach (Worldwide) for the Superbike School. My main duties at the school are overseeing the on-track coaching, and training the coaches. Each branch of the school (UK and OZ) have their own Chief Riding Coaches.

OK, so the rest of you, post away (and introduce yourselves!)

Best,

Cobie biggrin.gif