Video - What Happened To This Guy? High Side Coming Out Of Corner

tweek

Found this video while goofing around:

http://www.break.com/index/biker-wipes-out-on-turn.html

(ignore the comments)

I've watched it in slow motion several times. at six seconds just as he closes on the 11 marker you'll see a skid mark from his rear tire. Sense he is accelerating I'm guess that he got on the throttle hard and spun the rear and then failed to catch the slide. Can somebody who knows what they are looking at comment?

Is there anything to learn from the video beyond the obvious quips like "don't do that"?

(turn on slow motion by clicking "CONTROLS")

(ignore the comments)

I've watched it in slow motion several times. at six seconds just as he closes on the 11 marker you'll see a skid mark from his rear tire. Sense he is accelerating I'm guess that he got on the throttle hard and spun the rear and then failed to catch the slide. Can somebody who knows what they are looking at comment?

Is there anything to learn from the video beyond the obvious quips like "don't do that"?

What I see is that he adds lean angle right before he hits the apex...then adds just a little bit more and then... see ya!

Kevin

For sure he added lean angle. He turned it in, then lifted it up, then turned it in again.

There is a a fair amount of techniqe to what he should have done, but to be brief the deadly combination is adding lean angle and adding throttle! Quite a bit on this in Twist 2 if one is looking for a reference.

Adding lean angle and adding throttle---slides that happen when ths is being done aren't that friendly, don't recover easily don't give you nice warning, etc. Watch the top guys, watch what they do when they bring the throttle on. Today's bikes, even the 600's are pretty potent, lean over a long ways. Stuff that one "could get away with" one can't now, technique has to be better.

Best,

Cobie

For sure he added lean angle. He turned it in, then lifted it up, then turned it in again.

There is a a fair amount of techniqe to what he should have done, but to be brief the deadly combination is adding lean angle and adding throttle! Quite a bit on this in Twist 2 if one is looking for a reference.

Adding lean angle and adding throttle---slides that happen when ths is being done aren't that friendly, don't recover easily don't give you nice warning, etc. Watch the top guys, watch what they do when they bring the throttle on. Today's bikes, even the 600's are pretty potent, lean over a long ways. Stuff that one "could get away with" one can't now, technique has to be better.

Best,

Cobie

I was sitting on my front stoop one evening a couple weeks ago and a sport biker stopped at the stop sign at the side street of the main drag of my block. When he pulled away he leaned over and whacked the throttle and the rear came right around and the bike fell right on his leg and broke it going about 3 mph.

So there I was running out to help him off the street as I rang 911 on my cell phone and having a clear sense of deja vu as I picked up his bike and walked it over to the curb with nary a scratch....

Now why does this feel familiar....hmmm.....

BH

• 2 months later...

(ignore the comments)

OMG! The comments on this are hilarious (or appalling depending on your viewpoint of gross ignorance.) On the plus side, apparently the guy only sprained his ankle.

• 6 months later...

(ignore the comments)

OMG! The comments on this are hilarious (or appalling depending on your viewpoint of gross ignorance.) On the plus side, apparently the guy only sprained his ankle.

sorry for raising an old thread, but this comment is insane -

JenningsGP:

I ride that track a lot. Thats a sharp turn. You gank the throttle a little to much and get too much lean angle and you will wipe out. Its a common occurance at track days. Probably 5 to 8 wrecks a day. Nothing unusual. You will wreck in the quest for speed. They say if you aint wrecking you aint riding hard enough.

• 3 weeks later...
This was a somewhat "local" guy. If I remember correctly, he got a little rashed on this shoulder, but that was about it. The bike is another story...

I think I still have a longer vid of it. If I can find it, I will post.

Mike Brown - CSBR

Rear wheel slid...much clearer vid... Choose Motorcycle Flips #5

http://www.spike.com/episode/24825/st/2915940

What I see is that he adds lean angle right before he hits the apex...then adds just a little bit more and then... see ya!

Is it my imagination or has his rigid foot peg touched down and unweighted his rear wheel? Looks like his body weight is far forward, no?

Is it my imagination or has his rigid foot peg touched down and unweighted his rear wheel? Looks like his body weight is far forward, no?

I didn't see any puff of pavement, nor did it look like the bike lifted. I think he just rode if off the wheels.

C