Tire Pressures For Canyon Riding

Hello,

I just purchased a Triumph 675 that I want to use for canyon carving and some track days.

It comes with the Pirelli diablo corsa tires and I'm not sure what pressures should I be running based on my application.

The manual is conservative and I wanted an experienced point of view. I weigh about 180lbs if that helps.

A friend of mine suggested running 31F and 30R, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks,

-Rick

Hey Rick,

31F / 30R is good for the "P" brand tire. ;) Similar to what we run on the DUNLOPS.

One particular tire you must be careful of are the Michelin "Power Race" tires. The REAR tire pressure is ran very low. Near the low 20's to high teens. The front is normal at low 30's.

Hope this helps

JR

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Im sure you have heard it a million times, but its rider dependant and climate can also make a difference.

Play with it, you will find what you like and what you dont like.

I don't know that rider or climate are the issues that they have been made to be. We have riders of all skill levels and weights, and run in either very hot temps, or pretty cool, and we don't change the pressures at all, nor do I think race tire reps do. I'll put in a question to Dunlop, and ask them.

Best,

Cobie

Ambient temp and track temp will affect tire temp and pressure. Tire reps at the track will usually post recommended "cold" starting pressures to achieve optimum 'race' temp, ie. lower pressures on cold days will allow more flex in the tire and help achieve more relative rise in temp to reach the optimum temp for the compound. For instance, a typical recommended cold starting pressure might 32 psi on a hot day, 30 psi on a warm day and 28 psi on a cold day. A wet track means slower speeds, hence, less flex. Also, the water will cool the tire as well. Once "cold" pressure is set, you should not need to adjust it over the course of a day or really even a race weekend unless the tire is leaking. However, you should check your tire pressure in the morning and before and after every session to record and for safety.