Thanks!

CSS Crew

I just attended Level 4 Program at Mid Ohio on August 6th and as with each of the other levels I have attended, I have experienced another epiphany in my riding abilities. Paul, my on track riding coach, was able to identify areas of my riding which needed refined especially avoiding charging into the corners at the loss of drive on the exit. Lonnie, my off track coach a.k.a. Riding God, was able to impart his wisdom of attacking the Key Hole which allowed for a killer drive down the back straight. Level 4 was not only excellent at addressing my known weaknesses but also identifying other areas of weakness as well. Overall my experience with level 4 has allowed me to ride more aggressively while feeling completely in control.

Looking forward to next year to refine my riding skills once again.

Thanks!

Tim O'Toole

• 6 months later...

Hey OTOOLE,

Mid-Ohio is one of my most favorite tracks. Can you elaborate more about how you approach the keyhole and what specific pointers or advice you were given by your coaches? I find the mid-turn "drop off" a particular challenge and when I try to sacrifice entry speed and lean angle there, it seems other guys just stick it up the inside on me. :(

Thanks,

racer

• 1 month later...
Hey OTOOLE,

Mid-Ohio is one of my most favorite tracks. Can you elaborate more about how you approach the keyhole and what specific pointers or advice you were given by your coaches? I find the mid-turn "drop off" a particular challenge and when I try to sacrifice entry speed and lean angle there, it seems other guys just stick it up the inside on me. :(

Thanks,

racer

Sorry it has taken so ong to reply but a 1 year old son has almost all my attention these days.

Protecting the inside line on the entrance is key to keeping the others from passing. Stay tight against the curbing as you enter. The turn point I used was a footpeg mark in the pavement about 4 feet deep if it is still there. Tighten the turn in towards the curbing and continue to roll on the throttle. Be careful there is one area that leeches water when wet right in the line about 2/3rd's through the turn. You can really get a good drive if you stay tight but if you go wide at all it is really easy to lose traction and you can't roll on the throttle anywhere the amount that you can if you stay tight.

Let me know if that helps?

OToole

Thanks. I will.

In the meantime, it has probably been nearly ten years (pre-repaving) since I have ridden there and the turn might not be so clear in my mind as it seems. To my memory, there is a fairly significant elevation change of perhaps 6-8' feet roughly 1/2-2/3 of the way through the turn. I say significant due to the rate of change in that I would characterize it as a "drop off". The fall line for this drop off runs at something of an angle to the direction of travel from the outside toward the inside of the turn, that is not quite perpendicular nor parallel with the direction of travel...

heck with it...here is a photo:

2446887267_237b33c5ca_o.jpg

OK... I think this is the exit of the keyhole. I can't think of where else it could be with open sky beyond the fence. The fall line combined with the racing line seems like it might create some positive camber... sort of like a "double fall line" effect in snow skiing. Sort of the inverse or reverse of Turn 5 at Road Atlanta where the uphill elevation creates positive camber for the entry?

Cool. Even though I have ridden and raced M-O numerous times and was perfectly aware of the corner's orientation wrt camber and fall line, I never considered the exit of the keyhole from the angle in the photo which illustrates it so perfectly.

This is how car racers approach it...

"Turns 4 and 5 (The Keyhole) is a right-hand, double apex corner and the first apex is the red and white curbing on the right basically at the entrance. As you are braking and go past this curbing, the car should end up about a car width from the right side curbing. The left front edge of the concrete patch should be between the front wheels. Again, trail braking thru here will help rotate the car and get it pointed where you want. It's important to be patient here though because the track now slopes down hill. You'll want to get on full power, but you must wait until the car comes around a bit more. Steer the car with the throttle thru the corner. Once the car is pointed down the hill toward a late second apex (turn 5), you can now start applying a smooth throttle to exit the corner. This is the most important corner on the track as it leads to the longest straight and to one of the few passing zones at the end. You can use the curbing at the exit, but remember, it's extremely high and tends to jerk the car if you hit it. Make sure you have a good grip on the wheel if you plan to use the curbing!"

Thoughts? Comments?

I know lots of folks here have ridden M-O, so... whaddya think? What has been your experience?