First Trackday - Motor Sports Ranch In Cresson Tx

Today was my first track day sense going to CSS. I spent the day with Loan Star Track Days (LSTD) at Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson, TX. I rode with the street group on the new 1.3 mile track. After Mid-Ohio I thought I could handle things pretty well. The new track at MSR is a real handful. It is short with a number of decreasing radius turns and to make it even more fun it has some serious elevation changes.

1226635163_7abf6b0ef2.jpg

Straight out of the pits it seems like you dive down forever. Then you are greeted with a great little up hill decreasing radius turn, real fun trying figure that one out (hint - there isn't an answer to it you just slow down). Anyway the rest of the track is just like that.

I worked the morning session and took a ton of pictures (183 were kept, I'm going to sort the rest and upload to flickr later) and shot some video (havent looked yet). In the afternoon I manages to video one session. The short video is ready on YouTube:

The music track got screwed up while I was cutting it down. oh well.

maybe someday LiveVideo will finish processing the whole thing. Then again, unless you're a track coach watching 20 minutes of me blowing turns would get pretty boring. Actually, if you're a track coach 20 minutes of me blowing turns would get irrating.

Everything in that video is done in 3rd with no brakes. I tried 4th, but that uphill hairpin sucks in 4th. I bogged down too much. But in 3rd gear I could get a decent drive out.

I only used the brakes in two places - coming in to the carousel and at the end of the start finish straight.

1227494510_e6ce21a2f9.jpg

I was on my 99 ZX6. My first session I really didn't trust it and started off averaging about 1:40 per lap (1:37 was best). Everybody was blowing by me. The next set I had more faith in the bike and brought my average down to 1:37 (1:32 was best). Third set was again better: 1:35 average (1:32 still the best). By the end I wasn't being passed as much, but I still need a lot of work. I also need to trust my bike better. However, I kept banging the freaking pegs. I still don't hang off, I just move my chest from side to side. I've never before experienced anything like that. Imagine going around a turn, leaned way over when you all of a sudden feel/hear this bang-scraaaape. Freaked me out big time. Did it three times on the left and once on the right. Basically, the ZX6's suspension is too soft and it is more street/touring oriented. It still did a great job and I should be able to go a lot faster.

1227494426_b2d69607a1.jpg

I had good lines and stayed pretty close to them from lap to lap. The trick is that in a few turns I'm still hunting. Finding a better line in a few turns should be worth a second or two per lap. Then it will be time to work on adding more throttle in places where it is needed.

Can't wait for next month - Oak Hill. I'm told it is a very technical track too.

Thumbs up to the LSTD guys. They put on a great event.

1226635101_fb034d284c.jpg

BTW - big thumbs up to the fine folks at CSS. I don't think I would have enjoyed myself so much without their teaching and training.