25mm Cartridges Vs. Re-valve

I was reading the Sport Rider article on the GP Suspension comparison test.

I'm just wondering what is the difference between the 25mm Cartridges and the re-valve. Is the front difference in the braking feel?

Also, what is the difference for the stock shock? It seemed they claimed the Penske would resist fade. Why is that? Is the stock shock thinner (metal) than the Penske?

Thanks...

• 3 weeks later...
I was reading the Sport Rider article on the GP Suspension comparison test.

I'm just wondering what is the difference between the 25mm Cartridges and the re-valve. Is the front difference in the braking feel?

Also, what is the difference for the stock shock? It seemed they claimed the Penske would resist fade. Why is that? Is the stock shock thinner (metal) than the Penske?

Thanks...

Hey Jim,

That's alittle bit of an open question that will need alot of detail to answer, but I'll throw in my two cents and keep it short.

A revalve of stock suspension only modifies the stock cartridge by "revalving" the high speed compression and rebound valving stacks. Very good results can be obtained using a good tuner. Nearly all street riders will not need anymore tuning than this as well as the average to fast track day rider. Racers included, if they have a top notch tuner.

The 25mm cartridge kits replace the whole cartridge inside the forks, not just the valves. Some swear by them and say its the only way to go.

I personally had forks revalved with very good results. I then switched to a "drop in cartridge kit" and got even better results (not as dramatic going from stock to a basic revalve though). I will be switching to the 25mm cartridge kit this year and suspect it will be an even better improvement based on info from other racers.

The results gained by properly tuned suspension will be improved braking, better acceleration delivery, but mostly front / rear tire "feel" in the corners while leaned over.

Same goes for shocks. Fading is caused by heat thinning the oil during heavy use. I think with all the new technology out there fading has been nearly eliminated in any good quality shock. IE Ohlins, Penske, Elka, WP,....ect.