Body Positioning (hanging Off)

CHAOS

Thanks for the comments Cobie.

All in all, i really can't complain about my first TD's (track days :) ) of the year/since my wreck. I felt comfortable and i actually went faster than i felt i did...that probably doesnt make sense. During the day i had several people comment on how smooth i was and that i was "tearing it up". But to me, it didnt feel like it. I never took one breath out of my mouth. I was relaxed, breathing easy etc. In other words, it came easy to me.

As far as the school, i attended levels I and II last August at VIR and am signed up for level III this August at Barber.

I am a perfectionist, if i do something...i must be good at it. I rarely ever "joy ride". Even when i am on the street, i am thinking about my body positioning, working on being smooth with the brakes/throttle, looking for good lines through curves (not necessarily taking those lines because im on the street, but i will think "if i was on the track, what would be the best way through this curve").

That has its downfalls because i cannot totally enjoy track days. Every time i come back to the pits, my girlfriend (who has been riding 4x as long as i have) will be like "you did great...your BP was good and you lapped half the other riders"...then i will be like "yeah but on laps 2+3 i missed my braking point in turn 2" etc.

Ok, to answer your question regarding specific issues...

1. I am still alot better/more comfortable on left hand turns that right hand turns. I have read Keith's thoughs/approach to this, but i cant seem to get past it. Not just mentally, i mean my foot positioning/BP is much better on left hand turns. I can look further through left hand turns and i have a much better turn-in on left handers.

2. Sometimes i get uncomfortable in the transition between hard breaking and turn in at the end of fast straightaways that come into sharp turns. To accommodate this, i try to get my braking done early/first so that i am off the brakes and "stable" prior to my initial turn in. I do not have this problem on slower turns (and i usually trail brake some). But when i am coming from a 130-140mph straightaway into a sharp, 60mph turn, i feel unsettled as im coming off the brakes into the curve.

The thing that helps me is that i have a pretty quick turn-in. My instructor complimented me on it because he said that even on that 1k it seems as if i can go from straight up and down to dragging knee almost instantaneously. I think that is really what keeps me from being too slow in the aforementioned situations because i can delay my braking at the end of a fast straightaway, nail the brakes hard, stay upright a little longer while i let off the brakes and get "settled" and then immediately throw the bike over and be on a knee.

But i would like to somehow be more comfortable and smooth out that transition at the end of long/fast straightaways.

I apologize for the long winded post. I am at work and can't ride so i think/talk about it too much.

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote

I apologize for the long winded post. I am at work and can't ride so i think/talk about it too much.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Good clear answers. OK, sounds like we have a few body issues to sort out. Almost all the time a rider is better on one side of the bike over the other, there is a lack of stability on that side (the one he's having trouble with). We should be able to get into that and sort it out. It might take some practice, and might take some getting used too also.

Then the transitions from fast straight, down to a slow turn (that's a hard comob to get really right, one of the harder ones in fact), we can address that too. We might not get it all perfect in a day, but sounds like level 3 will be good for you (about the whole day is devoted to body related issues). I for sure want you to keep me abreast of how it's going that day though, will you do that?

A last comment: totally fine to be a perfectioinist, but to get an accurate idea of a situation, a person should correctly look at what is being done well, in addition to the areas that need improvement? Make sense?

Best,

cobie

Thank Cobie,

I am really looking forward to Level III. I am sure these and other issues will be addressed...if not fixed.

Yes - I will definitely keep in touch and let you know how it goes.

You are right and i try to focus on things that are going well/right...but as i say at work, "it only takes 1 oh ###### to eliminate alot of atta-boys". :)

Thanks again,

Chris

This thread has been an excellent read (along w/ Racer and Ulysses bickering back and forth) and comes just in time.

Specifically, I got started last August with CSS level 1 & 2 which was the first time I had been on a track on a bike, sense then I've done 10 to 12 track days. Initially I didn't bother handing off. I clamp on to the bike with my knees and lean my upper body. However, as I've picked up speed I've started to move more of my body in order to keep the bike more upright. During my past three track days I've actually started sticking my knee out and at my last track day even I actually touched once. But here is where it gets complicated - my throttle control isn't where it needs to be. Some of the grey beards around here looking at my tires say that I'm deaccelerating through most of the turn which is why I'm starting to hit hard bits again. It doesnt help that my track bike is ancient (99 ZX6e), but still.

So my comment is: while you're busy trying to look like Troy and scrape off those knee pucks - keep your right wrist in mind.

So my comment is: while you're busy trying to look like Troy and scrape off those knee pucks - keep your right wrist in mind.

Good point. One thing that isn't as well known is that with the throttle on, the front end of the bike lifts, but also the back is raised too. This happens for any kind of bike, shaft, belt or chain drive The opposite happens on decel: the back drops down, as well as the front. Maybe not hard-tail Harleys though :)

Hey guys

Not trying to hijack CHAOS's thread but I have similar BP.

Good or bad comments will be appreciated.

Unfortunatly these were at the end of last year and my BP has changed slightly. Im trying to get into the mindset of if im crouching, use a full crouch and kiss the mirror, if not sit upright and nothing inbetween.

Sorry I dont know how to imbed images, just click on the link

http://a463.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...b1a82530606.jpg

http://a631.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...f9958513896.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hey guys

Not trying to hijack CHAOS's thread but I have similar BP.

Good or bad comments will be appreciated.

Unfortunatly these were at the end of last year and my BP has changed slightly. Im trying to get into the mindset of if im crouching, use a full crouch and kiss the mirror, if not sit upright and nothing inbetween.

Sorry I dont know how to imbed images, just click on the link

http://a463.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...b1a82530606.jpg

http://a631.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...f9958513896.jpg

I hope you won't see me as being negative, but those outside rail fences are bad. Real bad. I've personally seen people lose limbs or lives by crashing into fences very similar to those. It's the vertical poles holding the fence. They cut through leather and bones real easy. You would be much safer practicing sport riding on the track. If you still do so on the street, at least make sure you have decent run-offs, good visibility, no cars, and only after you've made sure the road surface is clean through out the section you ride.

• 1 month later...

Update #2.

I went back to Talladega this past weekend on my new track bike (07 ZX6R).

I was about 2 seconds faster per lap on the ZX6R, even though it has about a 50HP deficit to my R1. It isn't a total weight issue because my R1 has a 100% carbon fiber gas tank and Forged Magnesium wheels. I firmly believe the difference was due to the full Ohlins suspension i had installed and the professional setup. My front forks were built by Mark Fitzgerald (aka Thermosman). I am also running a 190/55 rear tire and the bike was setup around it.

On the ZX6R, i can simply carry more cornerspeed which is where the difference is made because everybody is fast down the straights. I am sure i wasnt outriding the stock suspension...but confidence plays a big role in everything. I am more confident with the current setup.

My BP also improved (i think). Not only did it improve, but it because much more consistent. Please take a look at the pics and feel free to critique as needed.

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

I know some of those pics look pretty much the same (the first 3 in the chicane), but they were taken over the course of the entire weekend. My g/f just so happened to be standing in the same spot. So whatever i am doing wrong, at least i am doing it wrong consistently. :)