Level 1 A Winner

Johannesburg, South Africa

I never intended to buy a road bike - congestion was the deciding factor . . . I don't queue well :)

As part of the initial re-orientation training I went on - we spent the afternoon around a local track.

I was sold - never realising it is so much fun.

I battled, however, never quite getting it right to be comfortable around corners.

I (used to) spend a lot of time in "suspended animation" waiting for the corner to complete.

After a lowside I lost a lot of confidence in my little commuter (Ninja 650 R)

I realised it was time to get hold of a machine that could handle me better.

About the same time, one of our track-day operators announced that CSS was coming to South Africa.

I bought a slot even before I bought a second bike for the track.

I have read a lot - including both of Keith's Twist books and Andy's Performance Riding Techniques.

It still didn't help me - a number of things were just not getting into my thick head.

I have attended a number of other track schools, yet nothing changed.

So I went along with a real desire to shut-up-and-learn.

What a pleasure !

I've read that the "CSS schoolboy rules" don't work for everyone - but they worked for me just fine.

The UK crowd were most efficient and friendly.

My on-track coach, Spyros, was patient, yet firm when he needed to be.

He was able to identify my errors and help me go correct them when I started doing things wrong.

( I think he was rather relieved to see my big smiles after the last two sessions )

Job well done.

Thanks very much, guys.

I'll definitely be seeing you in November for Level 2 when you come back.

Robin.

PS: It would be real nice if you could bring that slide bike along this time.

( Maybe we could even make one here for you )

That's great news to hear, I am booked in for July here in the UK and can't wait. Today was a bit on the cold side and i had my own version of the slide bike going on.. front slide on cold tyres.. :( as i was a bit impatient to get going, and then a rear slide out of a 90 degree turn which woke me up sharpish! I ought to know better at my age..

Great to hear about your success in the SA schools. I don't know if they are going to be able to bring the slide bike or not. I'll nudge Andy Ibbott see what he has to say on that. I expect it might be a bit of a logistical problem, getting it down there.

C

Johannesburg, South Africa

I never intended to buy a road bike - congestion was the deciding factor . . . I don't queue well :)

As part of the initial re-orientation training I went on - we spent the afternoon around a local track.

I was sold - never realising it is so much fun.

I battled, however, never quite getting it right to be comfortable around corners.

I (used to) spend a lot of time in "suspended animation" waiting for the corner to complete.

After a lowside I lost a lot of confidence in my little commuter (Ninja 650 R)

I realised it was time to get hold of a machine that could handle me better.

About the same time, one of our track-day operators announced that CSS was coming to South Africa.

I bought a slot even before I bought a second bike for the track.

I have read a lot - including both of Keith's Twist books and Andy's Performance Riding Techniques.

It still didn't help me - a number of things were just not getting into my thick head.

I have attended a number of other track schools, yet nothing changed.

So I went along with a real desire to shut-up-and-learn.

What a pleasure !

I've read that the "CSS schoolboy rules" don't work for everyone - but they worked for me just fine.

The UK crowd were most efficient and friendly.

My on-track coach, Spyros, was patient, yet firm when he needed to be.

He was able to identify my errors and help me go correct them when I started doing things wrong.

( I think he was rather relieved to see my big smiles after the last two sessions )

Job well done.

Thanks very much, guys.

I'll definitely be seeing you in November for Level 2 when you come back.

Robin.

PS: It would be real nice if you could bring that slide bike along this time.

( Maybe we could even make one here for you )

Hi Robin,

We might have to get a Slide Bike made for SA because of the distance needed to transport one. I will need to take a look at the area at the track to see if there is enough room to run it. I know we could at Welcom but I am nort sure about others.

See you in November,

Andy