Physical Conditioning, Specific To Riding

Cobie Fair

OK, we talked about this a little before, but it got a little off the subject, so lets take another look at this. What conditioning, training, exercises, and even diet have you found has worked well for agressive riding?

It would also be good if any of the girls would post what has helped them.

CF

I mostly try to keep weight off with some really strenuous cardio. I'd do it anyway. What I do specifically for track is moderate rep (15-20 reps) for endurance, lower back when I can, and no added weight squats, again for endurance.

I'll plead the 5th on diet. Not my strong point. I know what I SHOULD do, and have a decent diet, but I'm not following it right now.

There was an article recently in Men's Fitness magazine about what Nicky Hayden does: http://www.mensfitness.com/sports_and_recr...reme_sports/112

I do not do any specific training for motorcycle riding. I do belong to a Master's Swim club that meets year-round, so we do about 3000 yards, 3x per week. In the winter I'll go and train at the gym 3x per week but in the summer I train for triathlons so I do a lot of running and cycling and little to no gym work. This keeps me from getting burnt out on either side. For diet, I do the 6 meals a day routine, with eggs and plain oatmeal for breakfast, either tuna and cottage cheese or salad with veggies and baked chicken breast for lunch, whatever is served for dinner, and small protein shakes for the in-between meals and before bed. This is pretty much along the lines of the Men's Health Abs Diet thinking and keeps me in the mid 140's weight-wise. This keeps me in good enough shape I don't really get tired on track days, and I've been fine on trips riding in the mountains for around 300-350 miles each day.

There was an article recently in Men's Fitness magazine about what Nicky Hayden does: http://www.mensfitness.com/sports_and_recr...reme_sports/112

I do not do any specific training for motorcycle riding. I do belong to a Master's Swim club that meets year-round, so we do about 3000 yards, 3x per week. In the winter I'll go and train at the gym 3x per week but in the summer I train for triathlons so I do a lot of running and cycling and little to no gym work. This keeps me from getting burnt out on either side. For diet, I do the 6 meals a day routine, with eggs and plain oatmeal for breakfast, either tuna and cottage cheese or salad with veggies and baked chicken breast for lunch, whatever is served for dinner, and small protein shakes for the in-between meals and before bed. This is pretty much along the lines of the Men's Health Abs Diet thinking and keeps me in the mid 140's weight-wise. This keeps me in good enough shape I don't really get tired on track days, and I've been fine on trips riding in the mountains for around 300-350 miles each day.

Steve;

I think Cobie was asking about what normal people do... ;)

Kevin

I did the mens health abs diet a few years ago, it was amazing, I got down to 180 lbs but more impresive was that my body fat percentage rapidly dropped from 25% to 12%, planning to get back on it after new year as I am back up at 220 lbs at the moment

OK, we talked about this a little before, but it got a little off the subject, so lets take another look at this. What conditioning, training, exercises, and even diet have you found has worked well for agressive riding?

It would also be good if any of the girls would post what has helped them.

CF

I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week. I do 30-40 minutes of cardio, either on the bike or jogging on the tred mill. I do about 60-90 crunchs on the exersize ball. Then I mix up my weight training, making sure to give my muscles at least one week to recoupe before doing the same set of exersises. I do light weights and lots of reps,( 3 or 4 sets of 25 reps) to build endurance and strength. I think it is very important to focus on the core muscles of the body, thighs, hips, stomach, back and chest. I also do a lot of reps for my tricepts, I think these muscles are very important for counter steering and holding your body during hard braking. For dieting I have found that keeping a journal of what you eat, ( get a book to look up the food calories), helps a lot. I started this because my daughter graduated in Sept from SF State with a degree in nutrition and she told me to start doing it. I figured, hey, I spent all that money on her college, I may as well listen to her. I have been losing about 3-4 lbs per month. It takes burning about 3500 callories more then you bring in to lose 1 lb. Also I have started eating 5 small meals per day rather then 2 or 3 big ones. This has helped me the most. My energy level is way up, do to my blood sugar staying at a more even level all day,(I've been told). At the track, I make sure I eat a bannana between breakfast and lunch, and an apple a couple of hours after lunch. Also I'm 53 years old, so I think the older you get the more important this becomes.

My diet has been pizza and ice cream as of late, and it shows :) I have had great success with the Fit For Life diet in the past though and I'll probably go back on that soon so I can drop a few pounds.

As for exercise, Bicycling is my thing. I mountain bike, and road bike. I'm lucky to have a great place to mountain bike right across the street from my house so I usually mountain bike more. Although it is nice to take the road bike down PCH and check out the beach every once in a while. I think bicycling really is the best exercise to get in shape for road racing.

I also ride a lot of motocross which really helps get you in shape and builds your skills for road racing.

OK, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I actually own and use a Suzanne Summers Thigh Master before big endurance races. I started doing endurance races a few years ago. Willow Springs used to to the Toyota 200 every year and I raced every one of them since they started it. The T200 is a 200 mile solo race, so your on the bike for about 2 hours at full race pace. I've done some 6 hour and 4 hour team races with WERA as well. Anyway, during these really long races my hip flexors and the muscles on the inside of my thighs would get real tired and sometimes cramp. The Thigh Master builds these muscles and is really great exercise for riding. You need to be comfortable with your sexuality though :) I told the girl at the sporting goods store I was buying it for someone else.

OK, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I actually own and use a Suzanne Summers Thigh Master before big endurance races. You need to be comfortable with your sexuality though :) I told the girl at the sporting goods store I was buying it for someone else.

hahahahaha

I love to bike ride, but haven't much lately, going to ge that back in. MX riding would be cool, but rarely get on my dirt bike :(. Upper body strength seems to help too, for steering. I recall Keith saying when Wayne (Rainey) went to Europe, he came back and had to work on his back muscles. I thought that interesting, with the bikes being lighter.

One thing not mentioned yet is some stretching. Tight muscles don't allow as much blood flow, a little stretching would be good too.

I can't ride bikes, but I used to. My back won't allow it. Yesterday when I wasn't on the track, I had to take my arms out of my suit sleeves because of the pressure it was putting on my back. I did keep my back protector on because it acted like a back brace while I was in the pits.

I'm a firm believer, though, that if you're participating in a sport, especially one as serious as motorcycle racing, you should have at least a couple things in your workout geared toward it. Even if you're just a track junkie like myself, it can only help. Once it's in your regimen it's easy to keep up, and doesn't take conscious thought to do. I LOVED working out for football because it was mostly about power, and I was good at it.

Toning muscle will act as another layer of protection in an accident, and also hold joints together in the case of a tumble, and even a little exercise strengthens bones.

• 2 weeks later...
the mens health abs diet

Ace;

What's that diet all about?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, sorry I never responded to this sooner, I must have missed it! Firstly looking at the abs diet site it appears as just another wonder diet, loosing loads of weight in a ridiculously short amount of time which is basically not good for your health. When I did it before I did loose alot of weight and a high percentage of body fat but it was over a long period of time, and changed my eating habbits to suit. It is easy to maintain and the reason I came off it was that I quit smoking and struggled to maintain the diet and not smoke at the same time as I was replacing my nicotine cravings with junk food. I have now been off cigarettes for a year I am happy to say and though slightly overweight I feel alot better than when I smoked!

I am planning on getting back on the abs diet after new year, and will be keeping fit by training at the gym and going jogging!

the mens health abs diet

Ace;

What's that diet all about?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, sorry I never responded to this sooner, I must have missed it! Firstly looking at the abs diet site it appears as just another wonder diet, loosing loads of weight in a ridiculously short amount of time which is basically not good for your health. When I did it before I did loose alot of weight and a high percentage of body fat but it was over a long period of time, and changed my eating habbits to suit. It is easy to maintain and the reason I came off it was that I quit smoking and struggled to maintain the diet and not smoke at the same time as I was replacing my nicotine cravings with junk food. I have now been off cigarettes for a year I am happy to say and though slightly overweight I feel alot better than when I smoked!

I am planning on getting back on the abs diet after new year, and will be keeping fit by training at the gym and going jogging!

Ace;

No problem; Steve Thomas responded the day I posted and included a link to their web site so it's all good!

Thanks;

Kevin

Ace;

No problem; Steve Thomas responded the day I posted and included a link to their web site so it's all good!

Thanks;

Kevin

You guys want to summarize what that diet is for any slackers that might be out there (I'm not a slacker, at least that is what I tell my wife).

C

You guys want to summarize what that diet is for any slackers that might be out there (I'm not a slacker, at least that is what I tell my wife).

C

This gist is that you need a combination of both diet and exercise together. Part of the message is that you need to do resistance training, not just cardio, to lose weight. The idea is that by building muscle, muscle itself raises your metabolism and thus burns fat. An hour of cardio burns energy pretty much just for the period of time you are doing it, while lifting causes you to burn energy for an extended period of time. The other component of the message related to diet is to eat smaller meals throughout the day (5-6 times) rather than the customary 3 meals. The rationale is that you keep your metabolism, blood sugar levels, etc. more even this way.

C

This gist is that you need a combination of both diet and exercise together. Part of the message is that you need to do resistance training, not just cardio, to lose weight. The idea is that by building muscle, muscle itself raises your metabolism and thus burns fat. An hour of cardio burns energy pretty much just for the period of time you are doing it, while lifting causes you to burn energy for an extended period of time. The other component of the message related to diet is to eat smaller meals throughout the day (5-6 times) rather than the customary 3 meals. The rationale is that you keep your metabolism, blood sugar levels, etc. more even this way.

Its a form of food combining where you can eat from 12 food groups, This is not like most diets where you find yourself starving between meals, you seem to be full all the time and if you stick to it for about 2 weeks your energy levels go through the roof, The one thing which made it work so well for me was that you are allowed a cheat day once a week where you can eat whatever you want!

unlike most diets out there this one is not about dehydration or deteriorating muscle to lose weight but is about maintaining muscle and burning fat, as described in the book, it turns your body into a fat burning machine!

Well that sounds a lot more intelliegent that some of the that's out there. I've long been a fan of exercies in addition to a sensible diet.

My dad is 70, and has never gone to a gym in his life--but, he gets some form of exercise about every day: skiiing, mountain bike, swimming, hiking, etc.

We went skiing last year and he kicked both me and my brother's asses--mostly spent waiting for us at the bottom of these steeper than @#$%^& runs.

Well that sounds a lot more intelliegent that some of the ###### that's out there. I've long been a fan of exercies in addition to a sensible diet.

My dad is 70, and has never gone to a gym in his life--but, he gets some form of exercise about every day: skiiing, mountain bike, swimming, hiking, etc.

We went skiing last year and he kicked both me and my brother's asses--mostly spent waiting for us at the bottom of these steeper than @#$%^& runs.

I think thats the secret to a long and healthy life, eat sensibly and live an active lifestyle! The gym can become monotonous and boring like your doing it because you have too but if you pick a few hobbies like what your dad does your keeping fit just by doing things you enjoy so its not a chore! I think we could all learn from that!

Well that sounds a lot more intelliegent that some of the ###### that's out there. I've long been a fan of exercies in addition to a sensible diet.

I think thats the secret to a long and healthy life, eat sensibly and live an active lifestyle! The gym can become monotonous and boring like your doing it because you have too but if you pick a few hobbies like what your dad does your keeping fit just by doing things you enjoy so its not a chore! I think we could all learn from that!

I'll exercise a bit with the weights in the garage, but I have to vary it up, I'd just go nuts.

With my back being out so long I KNOW that I'd have a bad trackday if I went out right now. I'm going to start working out again soon, especially with the possibility that I'm going to do a school this year still exists. If I do get to go I'm going to make the most of it.

I am 53 and find that if I am going to ride with you young guys, I have to work out 4 to 5 times a week. For me the most important thing is to work the lower body and abs. One hour of spin class burns more calories than any other exercise in a sports gym plus it increases leg strength. I do spin class twice a week. Then I do abductors, squats, and calve raises. I work my upper body with pulleys because you have to use more core muscles to stabilize your position. My wanting to ride to the best of my ability fuels my need for exercise and keeps me feeling young.

I am 53 and find that if I am going to ride with you young guys, I have to work out 4 to 5 times a week. For me the most important thing is to work the lower body and abs. One hour of spin class burns more calories than any other exercise in a sports gym plus it increases leg strength. I do spin class twice a week. Then I do abductors, squats, and calve raises. I work my upper body with pulleys because you have to use more core muscles to stabilize your position. My wanting to ride to the best of my ability fuels my need for exercise and keeps me feeling young.

Fossil is a pretty decent rider too, have seen him ride.

53, you are kid! Ask an 80 year old :)