Finding The Courage To Go Faster

nobody

Every time I go faster I come back with a big smile on my face ( I am not the fastest guy on the track but I am going there ). My fastest lap in the track was in a race and I was in front of the pack and I did 2:16.101, then came the no riding season ( very hot ), when I went to the track the my best lap was 2:20 then had an accident on lap 24 going 110 MPH in a turn that I use to take easy and some times drift out of, the turn had a bump, I used to take the bump then turn the bike quick but this time I made the mistake of taking the bump at full lean then the bike started to become unstable ( front suspension jumping ) so in a survival reaction I touched the front break and that was that.

I managed to repair the bike before the race and I got comfortable with that turn but I am still afraid to tail break in a turn ( I did it all the time and it gave me some advantage over the other riders ).

I use different tire than I did before but I know that I am still to slow to be needing full slicks.

In the last race my best lap was in the warm up I did 2:18.887 but in the race the best was in the 20s

Any help

Every time I go faster I come back with a big smile on my face ( I am not the fastest guy on the track but I am going there ). My fastest lap in the track was in a race and I was in front of the pack and I did 2:16.101, then came the no riding season ( very hot ), when I went to the track the my best lap was 2:20 then had an accident on lap 24 going 110 MPH in a turn that I use to take easy and some times drift out of, the turn had a bump, I used to take the bump then turn the bike quick but this time I made the mistake of taking the bump at full lean then the bike started to become unstable ( front suspension jumping ) so in a survival reaction I touched the front break and that was that.

I managed to repair the bike before the race and I got comfortable with that turn but I am still afraid to tail break in a turn ( I did it all the time and it gave me some advantage over the other riders ).

I use different tire than I did before but I know that I am still to slow to be needing full slicks.

In the last race my best lap was in the warm up I did 2:18.887 but in the race the best was in the 20s

Any help

i have read twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and andy's book. and i have been to the school level 1, but it is hard to attend school because it is not near me.

After watching your videos, I think braking is the wrong place to look to get faster. Other than get to the school, the advice I would offer would be to read Twist II and get the new DVD. Specifically look at the rules of throttle control and the Two Step.

I think you're going to have to give some more information about you, where your racing, tracks, what bike etc. You're not giving people much to work with here in order to be able to help. Do you have onboard video of your riding for people to critque? Pictures of your riding?

Clearly much about going fast is confidence, and taking a crash in most peoples cases knocks that, do you fully understand why you crashed? What you do differently to avoid it? and so on, and so on.

We'll try and help, you've got to give more my friend.

Bullet

the track is Losail in Qatar, the bike is a 2006 cbr1000.

about the videos sorry and no pics as well ( lots of photographers but i do not know why no one has pics??? ).

about my accident it was my mistake not the bike ( i always say that the rider is the problem not the bike. i was in the S and i was suppose to come from the out side to the in side but i was near the turn so i needed more lean angle to go threw the turn what i forgot was the bump in the turn, if i had come from the outside then every thing wood have gone smooth but my mistake made me lean more to go into the turn, when i was leaning i hit the bump so the bike suspension tried to take care of thing but i felt the bike going up an down like a pogo so in a survival reaction i touched the front brake at full lean and that was that.

so now i am not able to get better times or make my old best times even thew i take the S with no problem.

thank you

about the videos sorry and no pics as well ( lots of photographers but i do not know why no one has pics??? ).

about my accident it was my mistake not the bike ( i always say that the rider is the problem not the bike. i was in the S and i was suppose to come from the out side to the in side but i was near the turn so i needed more lean angle to go threw the turn what i forgot was the bump in the turn, if i had come from the outside then every thing wood have gone smooth but my mistake made me lean more to go into the turn, when i was leaning i hit the bump so the bike suspension tried to take care of thing but i felt the bike going up an down like a pogo so in a survival reaction i touched the front brake at full lean and that was that.

so now i am not able to get better times or make my old best times even thew i take the S with no problem.

thank you

Hi Nobody,

I'm sorry I've not ridden there, though I've heard it's absolutely stunning track, in fact, its one of Andy Ibbotts favourite tracks, and he's ridden a few (coz he's so old ya know).

Right, so you know what you did, and why you fell off. So thats a really big step. You suffered from a survival reaction and whilst we can train ourselves to not re-act to them, sometimes we do still, we have accept it, its in our inbred nature as humans. if you get into a situation of panic, you'll sometimes do it, even if you really don't want. Practice is the only way to keep working on them, but you have to accept sometimes it will happen in those split second moments. Now time to move on....

OK, so what could you do differently with your approach to the track their? if you changed your line in that corner to avoid the bump would that help? Is that possible? is the bike's suspension more compliant leaned right over or more upright? How could you change your approach to this corner to deal with this situation differently in the future?

Once you can deal with this, it will take some time to get your attention back on your riding, and your riding will come back, but, you have to be able to let go of the crash, and that only comes from understanding why, and having a differnt plan for the future to stop you making it again.

Hope that helps.

Bullet

thank you

Good, you've done level one. So, was the crash because you got on the brakes, because you forgot about the bump, or because you were wide exiting the first part of the S? It's easy to blame the brakes and forget about why you felt like you had to use them in the first place.

Let's go through the scenario, you're wide exiting the first part of the S. You flick the bike into the second part and use more lean angle than you normally would there. Let's assume you remember theres a bump coming up. What action can you take, what of the 5 drills of level 1 will maximize the suspension's ability to absorb the bump?

OK, so what could you do differently with your approach to the track their? if you changed your line in that corner to avoid the bump would that help? Is that possible? is the bike's suspension more compliant leaned right over or more upright? How could you change your approach to this corner to deal with this situation differently in the future?

now:

- if you changed your line in that corner to avoid the bump would that help?

definitely yes.

- Is that possible?

yes, because my entry in the S was not a late entry i entered too early so i had to compromise a bit.

- is the bike's suspension more compliant leaned right over or more upright?

my suspension needs some work but i am trying to work on the suspension with throttle control.

- How could you change your approach to this corner to deal with this situation differently in the future?

late entry, trying to change the direction of the bike faster and taking all the track.

Any help

Hi Nobody,

Just to make it more clear to me, what is the exact question you have, what is the main thing you would like to improve.

Best,

Cobie

gettingon the throttle earlier and turning the bike faster.

Got it. There is a lot of material on that, and I won't attempt to cover it as well as Keith does--have you by chance had a look at his book Twist of the Wrist 2? If so, what is the thing that keeps you from getting on the gas a little earlier than you do now?

CF

gettingon the throttle earlier and turning the bike faster.

Got it. There is a lot of material on that, and I won't attempt to cover it as well as Keith does--have you by chance had a look at his book Twist of the Wrist 2? If so, what is the thing that keeps you from getting on the gas a little earlier than you do now?

CF

I have read the all of Keith's books, the problem is that in the past I have a bad info that says: if you are getting out of a turn and you think that you are going too wide then leave the throttle and you will correct the line. When I had the California bike school level 1 Andy and Johnny told me that that info was not correct throttle was the way to go. And I have had moments on the track when I tested that theory and added more throttle and I was amazed that when the rear tire began to slide the bike direction heeded to the inside. Now because I have tested this I know with the correct amount of throttle I can do a lot of things even if I have suspension problems I can correct it with throttle control, my mane problem now is:

- in order to go out of a turn fast the RPM has to be hi so I have to enter the turn in a low gear with an RPM about 8000-9000 RPM but when I lower the gear the bike becomes unstable but I know I can enter the turn no problem but my mind says WOW you #%$$ are you crazy the bike is unstable you are coming to the turn too fast I know I know that the guy in front of you did that at a higher speed but you have a confidence problem so SLOW down.

- as I said above I know that with the right amount of throttle the bike may drift but if I enter the turn correctly the bike will go to the correct direction but how much is too much? Where is the limit.

- I think that one of the problems my mined has is the tire problem, I am not a fast guy so I can not be a judge on what is the best tire to have and what is not, but 3 companies that I trust there products: Michelins, perilles and Dunlops, I go with sami slick tires or slicks I do not have a tire choice because I mount what I find and I have found that my riding style change from one tire to the other, so going from one kind to another is kind of frustrating but Johnny kicked my ass on the track with a beull and stock street perilli tires.

Sorry for the repost.

Hi Nobody,

Not sure what tire you have access to where you are (UK?), but we use the Dunlop Quallifier, and found it to be a great all round tire, either street or track.

With the throttle control, one point on adding throttle--make sure you are not leaning the bike over more at the same time! A lot of traction problems are made worse by increasing throttle and lean angle at the same time, so as long as you don't do that, there should be no surprises.

Best,

Cobie