Finally A Day With The Css As A Student!

Hey guys and gals.

I am very excited to be here.

I took a rather unusual route to get booked with the CSS, here is my story.

I am a software engineer by education and profession. I work for a company called SoMat which makes high speed, high precision, rugged, mobile data aquisition field computers (whew, a mouthful huh?). Keith contacted us about collaborating on a project to setup one of the school bikes for full telemetry data aquisition, that that is how this all got started.

Now...a step back, I have been riding motorcycles for eight years. Its my passion. Riding is the air I breathe, and I'm sure anyone taking the time to come to this forum probably understands what I mean. Riding has saved my life. I got started with private instruction from an established AHRMA racer, who happens to be my father in law. He spent so many hours working with me in parking lots that its not even funny. Before I had my M class license, I probably had 40-60 hours of instruction and training from a very talented rider. It was a GREAT way to get into this amazing sport. In the last eight years, I have owned starter bikes, cruisers, and sport bikes...and I have discovered that sport riding is my real passion. The technical aspects, the discipline it requires, the fact that any rider can always learn, always improve....it really gets me up in the morning.

So, a few months ago, my marketing manager steps into my office and says "Hey, have you heard of Keith Code?"

My reply was: "Yeah, how many of his books to you want to borrow? They are all right here." As I turned and showed him TOW 1 and 2, which reside next to my desk pretty much all the time. Their pages are worn and dogeared....passages are highlighted and circled...they have been read, reread, and read again.

Well, that pretty much sealed the deal, I convinced him that SoMat should do whatever we can to assist Keith and the CSS with this project...and it was all set up.

So, about a month ago I came out to Willow Springs, with an engineer from Dynamic Research in Torrance CA. Dynamic had been hired to put sensors all over the bike, and it was my job to configure our system to take all the data. We spent two days wrenching on the bike, tweaking things here and there, calibrating and re-calibrating sensors, and had a blast. John and I arrived at Willow Springs with the bike mostly ready to go...and I was BLOWN AWAY.

The CSS is one of the most well run, organized, and professional groups of its kind. I was just floored by the entire experience of working with Keith, Will, and the others I got to meet that day.

Of course...it was absolute TORTURE for me to be there, with all the bikes and the smell of leathers, sweat, and gasoline...and not be riding. My hands twitched at the thought of climbing on my 600 (or one of the school bikes) and doing a few laps. I decided right there that I would take EVERY chance to be a student of the CSS as often as possible.

Well, the data logging project was a success, and I am returning this Friday to LA to meet the CSS at Willow Springs on the 23rd and 24th of this month to do it all again. I am very excited.

Also, I am booked for a Level 1 trackday at Barber in late August...so I will finally get to throw on my leathers and become a student of the CSS, which is a dream come true.

Here are some pics from my last day out with the CSS (Will is the one riding...boy you guys are FASSSSST!!!!):

(I'm in between Will and Keith)

IMG_1545_sm.jpg

IMG_1535_med.jpg

Here is the bike, hooked up to my laptop so I can download the data from the Edaq (our data aquisition system, its the grey box on the tail of the bike).

IMG_1516.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. As a student of the science of motorcycle racing, and as a motorcycle junkie, being able to work in a professional capacity with the CSS is literally a dream come true.

If any of you guys are out at Willow this Monday and Tuesday, feel free to flag me down and ask any questions about the data logging you may have, I will be glad to talk with you about it. Right now, we are setup to measure: Front brake pressure, rear brake pressure, front wheel speed, rear wheel speed, throttle position, front suspension compression/extension, rear suspension compression/extension, GPS position and speed data, pitch rate, roll rate, yaw rate, and this monday we will be setting up to measure front steering head torque as well.

I can't wait to come out and improve my riding with the CSS. Seeing you guys out there is a humbling and inspiring experience!!!!

Best Regards.

Chris.

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story!

I've often thought that data acquisition would be a benefit to the school, both as a learning tool for the students and as a teaching tool for the coaches. So, I think it's great that it is finally happening. Congratulations to you and your company for being the ones to make it happen!

The CSS is one of the most well run, organized, and professional groups of its kind. I was just floored by the entire experience of working with Keith, Will, and the others I got to meet that day.

Indeed! Refreshing, innit?

I attended my first CSS class twenty years ago and Keith's crew have always been in a league of their own. In my opinion, CSS flat out defines the state of the art in riding instruction worldwide. And their program always sets the highest standard of professionalism and class by which all other riding schools (or any organization) might hope to be judged by... if they could qualify to compete on the same field. Of course, it's a little difficult to catch up when CSS continues to set and re-set the bar so high, never content to sit back and rest on well-earned laurels. Choosing to add data acquisition to the program just proves it again.

Have you attended the California Superbike School?

Not if you haven't attended this year!

Congratulations again on your success with the school, Chris. I hope I get to see your contribution in action soon!

Best regards to you, sir.

Racer.

Thanks for the reply!

I am really excited to come back out and the fact that I can play a small role in helping the CSS is a VERY proud thing for me.

I am honored to be assisting you guys.

And what you said about the CSS being top notch is really true, imho. If you just take a peek at the trackday listings in Road Racing World....look at the prices of the other schools AND their student to instructor ratio.

Its almost impossible to find a school that has a 2:1 student to instructor ratio that doesn't cost thousands for a single day.

My hats off to you all!

Chris.

Racer.

Thanks for the reply!

I am really excited to come back out and the fact that I can play a small role in helping the CSS is a VERY proud thing for me.

I am honored to be assisting you guys.

And what you said about the CSS being top notch is really true, imho. If you just take a peek at the trackday listings in Road Racing World....look at the prices of the other schools AND their student to instructor ratio.

Its almost impossible to find a school that has a 2:1 student to instructor ratio that doesn't cost thousands for a single day.

My hats off to you all!

Chris.

Chris,

What weekend will you be at Barber? Just curious, I might be there and would like to say hello. I hope you are prepared for Birmingham in August. I was there last August and in the paddock the temp was 104F in the shade.

I know exactly what you mean.

Chris,

What weekend will you be at Barber? Just curious, I might be there and would like to say hello. I hope you are prepared for Birmingham in August. I was there last August and in the paddock the temp was 104F in the shade.

I will be doing a Level 1 day on August 23rd (Saturday) at Barber.

And yeah...I know the heat is going to be killer. However, I have survived trecking through the Ugandan rainforest in 100 degree temps, touring Singapore in 110F/100% humidity, etc....so I just plan to stay hydrated, stay out of the sun as much as possible, and keep my electrolytes up.

Man...110F + 1.4mm BLACK suit (perforated thank god) + boots + helmet + gloves + bike heat = Flipping HOOOOOT!

:)

Hi Chris,

I was wondering about the significance of your forum handle.

Does it refer to the motorcycle fairing designer, the ammunition, or the Latin proverb: si vis pacem, para bellum meaning If you want peace, prepare for war!

Thanks,

Bill

• 3 years later...

Does the telemetry bike still exist?

Not sure what you are referring to...Keith did some work on the video, but we haven't had one at the school.

CF