Pivot Steering

Another excellent and more up to date read on the matter is found in "Performance Riding Techniques: The MotoGP manual of track riding skills". This is a hard bound book written by Andy Ibbott and Keith Code. Andy Ibbott is Keith's "disciple" in Europe. From what I've been able to gather, he runs Keith's European operation(s).

Thank-you for bringing this book to my attention, Red. I've never heard of it before. I wonder why it isn't available here on the website in addition to Amazon.com. Ironically, I can't find the Twist of the Wrist books on Amazon.com.

Hi guys,

I've never quite understood Keith's explanation for calling it a "pivot" point, but, in the sense that it is a fixed point and your body moves, I suppose it is an accurate description. I tend to think of a pivot as a point or axis about which something else rotates or pivots. Anyway...

The way I explain or describe the concept is that it is "pushing off of" or "pushing against" something solid with one part of your body to push against something else with another part of your body enabling you to use the strength of your entire body in the process. In this case, it's about using the strength of your entire body to push against the handlebar rather than using just your arm. It means the effort to push on the handlebar literally begins in the sole of your opposite boot anchored against the footpeg in the same way that a boxer's punch begins in his feet or a batter's swing starts in his cleats so they can utilize the strength of their entire bodies in the effort. When a martial artist hits or kicks, they put their entire body behind the effort. It's like the old expression, "putting your weight into it" or "behind it". Granted there is a rotational or "whip" element for the other sports examples I mentioned that isn't really included for us, but, the main idea is the same.

So, in a nutshell, if you want to quickly counter-steer the bike to the left at speed, you literally push off the right footpeg, using the strength of your entire body, to apply pressure to the left handlebar.

racer

Excellent description! You and I are in the same groove here. We're just using different wording.

Another excellent and more up to date read on the matter is found in "Performance Riding Techniques: The MotoGP manual of track riding skills". This is a hard bound book written by Andy Ibbott and Keith Code. Andy Ibbott is Keith's "disciple" in Europe. From what I've been able to gather, he runs Keith's European operation(s).

Thank-you for bringing this book to my attention, Red. I've never heard of it before. I wonder why it isn't available here on the website in addition to Amazon.com. Ironically, I can't find the Twist of the Wrist books on Amazon.com.

Great book! Literally study the pictures in detail. For instance, MotoGP riders do use fixed pegs, not folding pegs.

An interesting picture in the book is a pic of Rossi's rear brake pedal. There is no adjustment on it what so ever. Why? Because it has been custom machined and fitted to Valentino and doesn't need to be adjusted. Eliminates all of the threaded links, nuts, etc. Keeps things light and simple.

Don't know why it's not available on the website. I think the book is probably 75% Ibbott and 25% Keith. But as I said, Ibbott is a disciple (no pun intended) of Keith's and runs CSS in Europe and works with the MotoGP riders a lot.

I can't sing the praises of this book enough. The most amazing thing is it's only $19.95 for a hard back book. If you're near any big city, T1, T2, and Soft Science can usually be found in Barnes & Ignoble and Borders.

How odd. I searched for it exactly one month ago with the intention of posting an Amazon link along with the link to the school store I posted above in this thread and it came up empty. I just did another independent search now and got the same page you did. Huh.

How odd. I searched for it exactly one month ago with the intention of posting an Amazon link along with the link to the school store I posted above in this thread and it came up empty. I just did another independent search now and got the same page you did. Huh.

I searched a few weeks ago, and saw the books online (amazon).

I searched a few weeks ago, and saw the books online (amazon).

Cobie:

I assume that Racer and I are going to get a 10% commission for any books we sell for you guys aren't we?

RDR

Cobie:

I assume that Racer and I are going to get a 10% commission for any books we sell for you guys aren't we?

RDR

lol

You meant 10% of the gross, right?

Cobie:

RDR

lol

You meant 10% of the gross, right?

Definitely.

wonder how we'd keep track of this...:) I know, I'll let an engineer figure it out! Somtimes I crack myself up.

C

All the books have great information, and yet there is no one book that has everything you need. I have TOTW 2 and Performance Riding Techniques, and reference them both frequently. There is also a site that is good to help someone learn about new tracks and other small things. Don't stick with one book or video and you'll be much better off in the long run.

http://www.foreven.com/trackdod/NoviceGuide/