How Does Anybody Manage To Hang Off?

pbrown

Paul--as the starting point, it's good to know, can the bike be turned too quickly, from the viewpoint of a top rider? Any skill level below that won't isn't going to do more would they? Can a person have a problem with their survival reactions by turning it too quick?you bet (we work on this quite a bit at the school). Could Mr. Average turn the bike too quickly?--one could punch the bars, and that would upset the bike, but typically when riders turn it quicker they often turn it too much, not the same thing. We work on this a lot too.

There are a few things to consider when practicing turning it quickly: warm the tires up! That is done by working them in the turns, gradually increasing the speed. Have good tires! Smoking discount for students if you didn't already know that (shameless plug here). Braking and turning quickly at the same, that can ask too much from the tires.

Let me know if this answered your questions or not.

Best,

Cobie

I think your answer brought up one of my fears - in trying to turn quickly you end up turning too much. I was wondering about how you know how far to lean it when your quick turning. The more I think about quick turning the more confused I get, in my head I see it as the same as squaring the corner off so you can get good drive out or is that something else completly? I guess this is where the school comes in rather than just reading the book.

Regards

Paul

Ps the stompgrip has made a big difference to the hanging off problem.

I think your answer brought up one of my fears - in trying to turn quickly you end up turning too much. I was wondering about how you know how far to lean it when your quick turning. The more I think about quick turning the more confused I get, in my head I see it as the same as squaring the corner off so you can get good drive out or is that something else completly? I guess this is where the school comes in rather than just reading the book.

Regards

Paul

Ps the stompgrip has made a big difference to the hanging off problem.

Yeah, the S/Grip is good stuff when hanging off.

There are a few pieces to getting the quick turning working well, and sometimes just simply getting a few good demonstrations on how to do it, well--a picture can be worth a few words.

Here is a question: what is the purpose for turning the bike quickly--in other words, why do you, Paul, want to get it turned quicker?

C

Yeah, the S/Grip is good stuff when hanging off.

There are a few pieces to getting the quick turning working well, and sometimes just simply getting a few good demonstrations on how to do it, well--a picture can be worth a few words.

Here is a question: what is the purpose for turning the bike quickly--in other words, why do you, Paul, want to get it turned quicker?

C

I want to get round corners faster to reduce my lap times & even with hanging off I am on the edge of my tyre & no where near other peoples lap times. I know there has to be another way & twist 2 is telling me it's quick turning to reduce my lean angle for a given speed. As you say a picture can be worth a lot of words & seeing it being done is even better. I am having real problems understanding how this fast turning works, as I said before I can only see it as squaring off the corners & quick turning to get back on the gas & I don't think twist 2 is telling me that.

Paul