Getting Bike Fit

acebobby

Sodium is OK, but, Potassium is better. Sodium raises your blood pressure.

Bananas are a good natural source for Potassium. Some "sports drinks" offer potassium, too. I think Powerade has more potassium and complex carbohydrates and is better than Gatorade which has more Sodium and simple sugar. Also, some of the vitamin waters, too. Read the labels.

Also, I suggest diluting Powerade or Gatorade 50% with water. Half and half.

ETA: Oops. I see Thor already mentioned Potassium and bananas. If bananas upset your stomach, I suggest trying Powerade or supplements.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sodium is OK, but, Potassium is better. Sodium raises your blood pressure.

Bananas are a good natural source for Potassium. Some "sports drinks" offer potassium, too. I think Powerade has more potassium and complex carbohydrates and is better than Gatorade which has more Sodium and simple sugar. Also, some of the vitamin waters, too. Read the labels.

Also, I suggest diluting Powerade or Gatorade 50% with water. Half and half.

ETA: Oops. I see Thor already mentioned Potassium and bananas. If bananas upset your stomach, I suggest trying Powerade or supplements.

I had heard that before too (about salt and blood pressue) but I read something recently that claimed salt did not effect blood pressure (sorry don't recall where). For sure both seem to be the ticket, that's what we do at the school, take a little of both, and many times Judy has really turned some guys around that have had headaches, with salt.

We carry both at the school in tablet form, and I agree with Racer, not a huge fan of Gatorade, too much sugar for me. There is one last electrolyte we found out about, and that is cell salts, or bioplasma. Not as easy to find, but seems to be the ticket in some cases.

Best,

Cobie

Yes, definitely, BOTH Sodium AND Potassium are needed by the body and depleted by exercise and sweating. What I should have said is that most of these sports drinks seem to only have Sodium and simple carbs ... read SUGAR... that absorbs and breaks down quickly for a short rush and then crash as the body (pancreas) secretes insulin to keep the blood sugar level. So then your body ends up on a roller coaster ride of sugar and insulin which is really bad for your body and pancreas, too. The pancreas also makes other stuff your body needs, hormones and glucagen, etc. I'm told that this sort of roller coaster ride is hard on the pancreas and what wears the pancreas out and causes certain types of diabetes, too.

Anyway, I didn't know about cell salts or bio-plasma. And the blood pressure/sodium connection was drummed into me as common knowledge. I had no idea it was disputed. Thanks for that info. I've also read that most headaches and pain in general can be attributed to or made worse just by general dehydration. I'm told that is what a hangover is as alcohol is a diuretic that forces water out of your body. I can say that drinking lots of water can prevent and help cure a hangover better than aspirin.

Anyway, good to know you guys are on top of it.

Cheers,

b

Yes, definitely, BOTH Sodium AND Potassium are needed by the body and depleted by exercise and sweating. What I should have said is that most of these sports drinks seem to only have Sodium and simple carbs ... read SUGAR... that absorbs and breaks down quickly for a short rush and then crash as the body (pancreas) secretes insulin to keep the blood sugar level. So then your body ends up on a roller coaster ride of sugar and insulin which is really bad for your body and pancreas, too. The pancreas also makes other stuff your body needs, hormones and glucagen, etc. I'm told that this sort of roller coaster ride is hard on the pancreas and what wears the pancreas out and causes certain types of diabetes, too.

Anyway, I didn't know about cell salts or bio-plasma. And the blood pressure/sodium connection was drummed into me as common knowledge. I had no idea it was disputed. Thanks for that info. I've also read that most headaches and pain in general can be attributed to or made worse just by general dehydration. I'm told that is what a hangover is as alcohol is a diuretic that forces water out of your body. I can say that drinking lots of water can prevent and help cure a hangover better than aspirin.

Anyway, good to know you guys are on top of it.

Cheers,

b

Yeah, I'd basically understand the same thing about alchohol too--you get dehydrated. Interesting enough, my doctor told me that flus dehydrate one from the inside out, hence the recommendation to drink lots of fluids is a good one when sick.

I have also heard that Kiwi has a high amount of potasium. Not sure where I got that from but I will look for it. However, the trick w/ kiwi, and some other fruits is that there are more vitamins in the skin. Not always fun w/ the fuzzy skin on a kiwi, but you can get a fair amount off by rubbing it in your hands. It isn't too bad!

Cobie, could you talk more about the bio-plasma you mentioned above? Very curious!

I have also heard that Kiwi has a high amount of potasium. Not sure where I got that from but I will look for it. However, the trick w/ kiwi, and some other fruits is that there are more vitamins in the skin. Not always fun w/ the fuzzy skin on a kiwi, but you can get a fair amount off by rubbing it in your hands. It isn't too bad!

Cobie, could you talk more about the bio-plasma you mentioned above? Very curious!

Yeah, I don't like kiwi personally, but many do.

Bio-plasma (also called cell salts), was found to be one of the electrolytes. We got some of the data from a detox program that has the person in the sauna for up to 5 hours a day. There are other aspects to the program, but that was found to be one of the electrolytes.

Sodium is OK, but, Potassium is better.

This statement couldn't be more wrong. In acute fluid loss, like that in perspiration, you're not going to lose any significant amounts of potassium. Sodium is released and water follows sodium, and so many things happen that is potentially damaging to every organ in your body with prolonged, gross amounts of perspiration that you NEED TO REPLACE SODIUM and water.

The bulk of potassium is inside your cells, and the little that is lost in sweat isn't harmful. At all. Even with a full day of activity. Potassium loss can be monitored, controlled, and regulated by the kidneys.

With sodium loss in perspiration, there is nothing to regulate sodium in the body because it's being expelled to help with perspiration. It HAS TO release sodium (that's the white stuff on your clothes under your arms and down your back). As a matter of fact, loss of sodium with perspiration is even more tricky because as you lose salt and water, the body can't register the proper amount of water being lost due to the equal amount of sodium being lost, and you might not get the signs of thirst because the sodium/water ratio in the body remains equal even though you're losing all that water (because you're losing salt). And increased sodium to water in the blood sparks the thirst feeling we all get because the water level is low.

Yes, in the long term blood pressure is raised by increased sodium intake because, like I said, water follows salt. So if there is an increased amount of salt in the blood, there is going to be increased amount of water, but short term, and if you're exercising and/or perspiring, you won't have to worry about an abundance of water or sodium because of the sweating factor.

Bottom line is that if you have a choice between salty peanuts or a banana at the track, you NEED TO choose the salt. Period. The banana will do nothing but make you look like a monkey.

..... your body ends up on a roller coaster ride of sugar and insulin which is really bad for your body and pancreas, too. The pancreas also makes other stuff your body needs, hormones and glucagen, etc. I'm told that this sort of roller coaster ride is hard on the pancreas and what wears the pancreas out and causes certain types of diabetes, too.

You're scaring my, Racer. The things you're mentioning are either insignificant (not trying to start anything) or not complete. Let me simply clarify this, and I'm sorry if it seems disorganized, but I just got off work, and am typing off the top of my head. I just explained this to a new diabetic a couple hours ago.

Sugar in the blood is useless without insulin. The body uses glucose in the cells as energy. In order for the glucose to get into the cells, they have to bind with insulin. That's why some diabetics have to inject themselves with insulin. They're body's don't produce insulin, so they help it out. The other one's, the "roller coaster" types are almost always going to be obese people who DID beat their body up with tons of junk, and inevitably develop insulin immunity, but this is after years and years of abuse, and tons and tons of ###### food. Most people who go to the track aren't the people who are going to have to worry about this sort of thing. Well..... excluding the 300 lb guy who tools around our beginner group on the 450 dirtbike. He's fat, and I'm SURE lives a sedentary lifestyle outside those 8 hours 4-5 times a year.

A couple of sports drinks aren't going to hurt someone as active as a trackday rider.

This statement couldn't be more wrong.

Yes, I corrected myself above. Perhaps you missed it.

As for K being insignificant... I'm not a medical doctor or even a health professional. And I only know what I was taught in mainstream university 25 years ago and what was published in JAMA in the 1990's when I was researching these things for my own benefit. And no I'm not going to search for footnotes now.

I'd suggest that folks who are concerned about this topic should do their own research and that the best data is probably not going to be found on a motorcycle racing school website in any case. That isn't to say good data can't be found here, merely that unless someone wants to post their qualifications, CV, and relevant peer reviewed research, well... you might take it with a... erm... grain of salt? <g>

r

..... your body ends up on a roller coaster ride of sugar and insulin which is really bad for your body and pancreas, too. The pancreas also makes other stuff your body needs, hormones and glucagen, etc. I'm told that this sort of roller coaster ride is hard on the pancreas and what wears the pancreas out and causes certain types of diabetes, too.

You're scaring my, Racer. The things you're mentioning are either insignificant (not trying to start anything) or not complete. Let me simply clarify this, and I'm sorry if it seems disorganized, but I just got off work, and am typing off the top of my head. I just explained this to a new diabetic a couple hours ago.

Sugar in the blood is useless without insulin. The body uses glucose in the cells as energy. In order for the glucose to get into the cells, they have to bind with insulin. That's why some diabetics have to inject themselves with insulin. They're body's don't produce insulin, so they help it out. The other one's, the "roller coaster" types are almost always going to be obese people who DID beat their body up with tons of junk, and inevitably develop insulin immunity, but this is after years and years of abuse, and tons and tons of ###### food. Most people who go to the track aren't the people who are going to have to worry about this sort of thing. Well..... excluding the 300 lb guy who tools around our beginner group on the 450 dirtbike. He's fat, and I'm SURE lives a sedentary lifestyle outside those 8 hours 4-5 times a year.

A couple of sports drinks aren't going to hurt someone as active as a trackday rider.

I'm not sure what your point is. A bag of white sugar is a good diet for the racetrack?

Your post seems to support my point. Repeated simple carb (sugar) intake puts your blood sugar on a rolllercoaster and overworks the pancreas. Period. Whether for an athlete or your grandma, this is bad. Period. Do I think a few sports drinks at a track day will cause someone to contract diabetes. No. I didn't say it would. However, that doesn't mean it is a good idea to take in a lot of simple sugar or that sugar heavy drinks are good for trackday riding either. I go for complex carbs. They breakdown slower and last longer giving a more even and continuous supply of energy (sugar to the blood) over a relatively long period of time. Again, I'm not a scientist and I only know what I read in peer reviewed journals and such and, according to these sources, this is the current state of the art of athletic science and nutrition today.

r

As for K being insignificant... I'm not a medical doctor or even a health professional. And I only know what I was taught in mainstream university 25 years ago and what was published in JAMA in the 1990's when I was researching these things for my own benefit. And no I'm not going to search for footnotes now.

I'd suggest that folks who are concerned about this topic should do their own research and that the best data is probably not going to be found on a motorcycle racing school website in any case. That isn't to say good data can't be found here, merely that unless someone wants to post their qualifications, CV, and relevant peer reviewed research, well... you might take it with a... erm... grain of salt? <g>

r

I don't think throwing hands up is the right approach either. We can share knowledge. If you have a little, someone else contributes, we can eventually get somewhere. Since medial protocol changes constantly, using 18-25 year old references may not be the best advice. We need new, fresh ideas for a current problem that affects our special interest, quicker lap times. :-)

r

I don't think throwing hands up is the right approach either. We can share knowledge. If you have a little, someone else contributes, we can eventually get somewhere. Since medial protocol changes constantly, using 18-25 year old references may not be the best advice. We need new, fresh ideas for a current problem that affects our special interest, quicker lap times. :-)

I think that's what I said.

r

or how about take it with a tablet of potatssium! (that was only midly pathetic, but I couldn't resist).

I think that's what I said.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is a subject where good data can be formed by building a consensus.

r

or how about take it with a tablet of potatssium! (that was only midly pathetic, but I couldn't resist).

Hee-hee. ;)

r

Your information is wrong and potentially harmful to the health and welfare of others. It does matter what is read in any site because of the damage that can be caused. You can see it in the replies that you've spurred by your comments. My credentials are more than enough that I'd suggest that you were incorrect in many different ways. I never said that potassium is insignificant, only that it is not important in replenishing during or even after a long day at the track. SODIUM IS!!! You seem to be of the mind, whether you've corrected yourself or not, that if one thing (sodium) is good, then another (potassium) is better. It's a very, very simple and incorrect way of thinking. And again, potentially harmful to others.

And I would gladly post my credentials (or qualifications) if it would mean that some of the people who are less educated on this topic would listen to me over the bogus information that you've provided. I would argue the point of your JAMA reference as well.

I'm here to learn, and by your posts, would concede that you probably know more about motorcycle riding than I do. Leave the medical advice to the professionals. Please.

r

Your information is wrong and potentially harmful to the health and welfare of others.

Potentially harmful? Well that sounds like pretty darn important information. Will you please be SPECIFIC about which information is potentially harmful?! Being a medical professional, I would think getting that data out would be more important to you than the schadenfreud of telling me how wrong I am... ?

It does matter what is read in any site because of the damage that can be caused. You can see it in the replies that you've spurred by your comments. My credentials are more than enough that I'd suggest that you were incorrect in many different ways. I never said that potassium is insignificant, only that it is not important in replenishing during or even after a long day at the track. SODIUM IS!!! You seem to be of the mind, whether you've corrected yourself or not, that if one thing (sodium) is good, then another (potassium) is better. It's a very, very simple and incorrect way of thinking. And again, potentially harmful to others.

I am of NO MIND on any of this matter and am patiently waiting for you to stop telling me what a bad and harmful person I am and start telling this website your credentials and some useul data.... LIKE A GOOD DIET FOR TRACK DAYS?

And I would gladly post my credentials (or qualifications) if it would mean that some of the people who are less educated on this topic would listen to me over the bogus information that you've provided. I would argue the point of your JAMA reference as well.

HELLO? Waiting?

I'm here to learn, and by your posts, would concede that you probably know more about motorcycle riding than I do. Leave the medical advice to the professionals. Please.

GLADLY! My point precisely!

Erm... and we're still waiting for that professional advice... ???

If you can't or won't speak directly to the subject, perhaps you can point us to some peer reveiwed research on the matter?

Thanks,

racer

r

Your information is wrong and potentially harmful to the health and welfare of others.

Potentially harmful? Well that sounds like pretty darn important information. Will you please be SPECIFIC about which information is potentially harmful?! Being a medical professional, I would think getting that data out would be more important to you than the schadenfreud of telling me how wrong I am... ?

It does matter what is read in any site because of the damage that can be caused. You can see it in the replies that you've spurred by your comments. My credentials are more than enough that I'd suggest that you were incorrect in many different ways. I never said that potassium is insignificant, only that it is not important in replenishing during or even after a long day at the track. SODIUM IS!!! You seem to be of the mind, whether you've corrected yourself or not, that if one thing (sodium) is good, then another (potassium) is better. It's a very, very simple and incorrect way of thinking. And again, potentially harmful to others.

I am of NO MIND on any of this matter and am patiently waiting for you to stop telling me what a bad and harmful person I am and start telling this website your credentials and some useul data.... LIKE A GOOD DIET FOR TRACK DAYS?

HELLO? Waiting?

GLADLY! My point precisely!

Erm... and we're still waiting for that professional advice... ???

If you can't or won't speak directly to the subject, perhaps you can point us to some peer reveiwed research on the matter?

Thanks,

racer

Uh..... you're not reading my posts. I've posted advice..... I realized that you can't be very bright some time ago, but even you should have been able to figure that out...... Please tell me you're not this dense..... You have me at a loss with your lack of knowing, willingness to learn, or ability to admit you are wrong..... And yes, the information you've given is potentially harmful. Read a book.

[Throws his hands up in frustration]

Sorry. My credentials. I served as a combat medic in the US Army, and in that time have trained soldiers to be able to handle the rigors of 12, 25, and 100 mile (this one was over a period of days) roadmarches, and how to combat dehydration in -20 degree weather. I've trained, and trained with the likes of the Special Forces and Rangers. I've been a registered nurse for 13 years, specializing in cardiology (where the likes of potassium, sodium, magnesium, and hydration are critical), renal (again where potassium, sodium, magnesium, and hydration are critical), ICU (again.....) and am currently an ER nurse in one of the hottest cities in the United States.

[

OK, so do you have a recommendation on diet for a track day?

Sorry, Cobie. I've been wasting my time entertaining Racers comments, and haven't responded.

First, I don't know what everyones trackday experience is like. In the severe heat here in Phoenix, we sit in the pits in the shade, and huddle around the swamp cooler or hit a friend up for a couple minutes in their winnebago to try and stay at least somewhat cool. We don't have any buildings to escape to. Then we do our time on the track, get off bike, drop our suits, and repeat the process. The weather is severe, so a lot more water is recommended. This Sunday in mid-October is going to be 95 degrees.

And I had no intention of starting a petty argument with Racer, but for the sake of people reading, please know that the information he attempted to distribute is completely unfounded and incredibly ignorant. Don't worry about potassium or the "roller coaster" ride your body goes through when you digest sugar. It happens during every meal of your life and with every sugary snack you eat or drink, and will continually do this throughout a normal persons lifetime from beginning to end with no problem.

Unless you were training for endurance events, there are only a couple things you would need to do in order to ensure your body is at adequately prepared to help you make it through the day.

The night before you might want to "carb load." Some complex carbohydrates to help your body store energy. That's exactly what it's doing. You're putting gas in the car. You also want to hydrate. I have a problem that I get really excited the night before a trackday, and if I get up to pee, probably won't go back to sleep. I do know the importance, though, of adequate hydration. If you start off your trackday in a shortage, it's not going to get any better.

DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL BEFORE A TRACKDAY!!! It dehydrates you more than you would think. There a chemical released by the brain that maintains fluid balance in the body, called Anti Diuretic Hormone (ADH). ADH is there to keep you from just peeing away all your fluids, and its release is limited by the brain when it senses we have too much, to keep us from swelling up and popping. The reason we urinate so much after we start drinking, is that alcohol inhibits the body's release of ADH so we're urinating whether we are dehydrating or not. Quick summation: DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL BEFORE A TRACKDAY!!!

Eat a good breakfast. Eat a good breakfast. Eat a good breakfast.

During the trackday, just remember to stay hydrated. Drink fluids. During the long trackday Gatorade type drinks are good. Simple sugars for that quick boost of energy, sodium to replace that loss. I would bring something like a candy bar, but they would melt in the heat. I have a couple sodas through the day. Simple sugars and sodium. I also have my spicy peanuts to help with sodium intake. It needs to be realized that if we lose sodium and water, and replace only water, it's actually a bad thing. It doesn't take a lot of sodium, but it does take some sodium. If you just drink water, that's fine, but if you start feeling weak, dizzy, have a HA or muscle spasms, skip your next session, have a seat, and eat something salty and drink water. Fluid can't go into your cells to hydrate them unless there is sodium, no matter how much water you drink.

If it's not as hot where you live and you don't sweat buckets, and during the cold winter months, you still need to be hydrated, but the sodium I keep stressing will probably be found by the body in foods (when you eat), and I would say just stay hydrated, and leave it at that.

Don't preload with sodium. Unlike carbs, your body doesn't just have stores of sodium laying around to be broken down in times of need.

Eat throughout the day. Put some food in your belly. Whatever electrolytes, fat, carbs, your body is losing, your body is going to collect to replenish from the food. That statement should also hint to you WHAT to put in your body. I like the candy bar and soda, but the wiser choice would obviously be fruit.

DON'T BE ON YOUR DIET AT THE TRACK. Your bodies requirements are completely different when you're exerting yourself, or sitting out in the heat.

I tried not to make it too long and keep it simple enough that some points can be remembered.

Hubbard;

At the risk of acknowledging that I missed some detail in the earlier posts here, can you explain your thoughts on potassium tablets? I have found relief from cramping muscles (thigh in particular) by taking potassium during the day. I also drink a 20 oz Gatorade between every session regardless of air temp so my guess is that my cramping is probably not from de-hydration.

I will admit that my Physician’s nurse freaked out when I told her I did this (she said it can have an adverse impact on my heart) but it does seem to work. Am I imagining this?

Kevin

Hubbard 28 and Racer,

Guys, we take some pride in this forum and keeping the exhanges friendly. Let's keep this friendly. Let's get back on this subject of dehydration, which is a real issue for us at the school.

My coaches have to ride in whatever the tempurature, sometimes very hot. They have to ride 3 times what tha average student rides. We have clocked 106 degree days, the coaches in their own private little saunas--helmet and full riding gear, riding 15 sessions on track.

We got information on dehydration from a detox program that was fully researched and verified, by a scientoifc foundation, with MD's on board. The detox program involves gets up to 5 hours a day, approx 1/2 hour exercise and then 4 1/2 hours in the sauna. You do a lot of sweating! The symptoms of dehydration are listed, then the electrolytes, which are salt, potassium, and bioplasma (also known as cell salts).

These are the things we supply for staff and students to use.

Water is obviously the big thing, and most don't drink enough, near enough. I also read an article that said hte US Army recommended in 90-100 degree weather, a man working outside should drink 13 liters.

Best,

Cobie

Hubbard,

OK, just read you post, we were writing at the same time. Yeah, we've done schools down in Phoenix in over 100 degree weather, know what you mean.

One question/comment: I've been told that sodas are diuretics, and not had them recommended, same with coffee--any data on that?

Best,

Cobie

Hubbard,

OK, just read you post, we were writing at the same time. Yeah, we've done schools down in Phoenix in over 100 degree weather, know what you mean.

One question/comment: I've been told that sodas are diuretics, and not had them recommended, same with coffee--any data on that?

Best,

Cobie

Caffeine is a diuretic.