Rossi Sticking Out His Leg - Why?

BLSJDS

Have you ever seen anyone do it with the other leg? Or is it only left hand turns?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen anyone do it with their right leg... whatever that means.

I've never seen anyone do it with their right leg... whatever that means.

...maybe they're braking with their right foot?

Maybe.

• 1 month later...
Putting your leg out getting into position approaching a turn helps slow the bike down due to increased wind resistance.

Don't know if that's a big issue. I know some guys pop up higher to get more of their torso up, but others don't come up that much at all, doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

C

Putting your leg out getting into position approaching a turn helps slow the bike down due to increased wind resistance.

Don't know if that's a big issue. I know some guys pop up higher to get more of their torso up, but others don't come up that much at all, doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

C

I disagree. I've changed the gearing on my bike. I rode 2 up last week. It was pretty windy. I hit the gas and the revs barely went anywhere. I tucked us in and WHAM! Right into the rev limiter.

I remember seeing something about sportbike design and how aero dynamics are not an issue until above 140-150 mph, This year on a German autobahn (no speed limits), I took my bike to its max speed which was 167-168 mph flicking on the clock so probably about a true 150-155 mph (very regular fuel stops that day), I remember sitting up out of the bubble at one point and the wind blast was very powerful, never noticed if it reduced the speed though,

Remember though if you hold on too tight with your arms (which pro racers wont do) your body becomes a sail!

If sticking there leg out did help to slow with wind drag, it would obviously be more effective to stick the knee out and keep the foot on the peg creating a sail effect and not just have the leg flapping around!

C

I disagree. I've changed the gearing on my bike. I rode 2 up last week. It was pretty windy. I hit the gas and the revs barely went anywhere. I tucked us in and WHAM! Right into the rev limiter.

My comment was regarding braking. Some guys really try and pop up high under braking to get the help from the wind, but wonder how productive it is.

So you guys think Rossi is sticking his leg out to slow himself down then?

No I dont think so! I think using the brakes would do a better job at slowing down than sticking a leg out! I still think he's positioning his foot for upshifts as you only ever see this done on the gear lever side!

So you guys think Rossi is sticking his leg out to slow himself down then?

No I dont think so! I think using the brakes would do a better job at slowing down than sticking a leg out! I still think he's positioning his foot for upshifts as you only ever see this done on the gear lever side!

Have you guys seen Rossi's 10 riding tips video?

maybe rossi is giving everybody something else to theorise about ? maybe he,s got his foot loose in case he lowsides ( sometimes maybe ) but i don,t think so in this instance .

out of interest on the bbc u.k footage of the phillip island moto g.p race we could clearly watch him on the start finish straight (199 mph) on board pass 2 riders b-4 diving into the very fast turn 1 , whilst passing these 2 riders he was adjusting his front brake !!!!

talk about free brain space !!!! skill !!!! ability !!!! confidendce !!! etc .

Tennis players often spin their racquets while waiting for the serve. Long jumpers sometimes do that swaying back and forth thing before they launch off. Weightlifters clap or rub their hands before the lift. On the bike you can't stomp on the footpegs or clap hands or pull your pants so maybe it's just something these racers do before they attack the corner.

Tennis players often spin their racquets while waiting for the serve. Long jumpers sometimes do that swaying back and forth thing before they launch off. Weightlifters clap or rub their hands before the lift. On the bike you can't stomp on the footpegs or clap hands or pull your pants so maybe it's just something these racers do before they attack the corner.

Interesting comparison of sports. So, do they do it on the left just because they are moving their foot position though? Don't think I've seen anyone do it on the right foot.

C

Interesting comparison of sports. So, do they do it on the left just because they are moving their foot position though? Don't think I've seen anyone do it on the right foot.

C

Don't all of us brake with our right foot?

Kevin

I'm not yet at that level. I still use my fingers only.

C

Don't all of us brake with our right foot?

Kevin

I'm not yet at that level. I still use my fingers only.

Too much for me to do, and if the rear is in the air anyway?

hey, anyone know of any of the top guys that don't use the rear?

What's amazing is that there has been much speculation about this topic for a couple of years now (not on this Forum) and it isn't just Rossi who does this; has anyone seen or read of a moto-journalist actually asking any of these top riders why they do it?

Kevin

What's amazing is that there has been much speculation about this topic for a couple of years now (not on this Forum) and it isn't just Rossi who does this; has anyone seen or read of a moto-journalist actually asking any of these top riders why they do it?

Kevin

Your absolutely right about that Kevin, its not only rossi that does it and racers have being doing it before he started doing it, if you watch the movie faster in the first year of moto gp when the 500s raced alongside the 990s you can see john hopkins doing it on the 500, He had a great year that year unfortunately could not compete with the 990s. Would be interesting if someone could just ask a pro racer why they do it and clear this topic up!

Kevin

Your absolutely right about that Kevin, its not only rossi that does it and racers have being doing it before he started doing it, if you watch the movie faster in the first year of moto gp when the 500s raced alongside the 990s you can see john hopkins doing it on the 500, He had a great year that year unfortunately could not compete with the 990s. Would be interesting if someone could just ask a pro racer why they do it and clear this topic up!

Andy--any input on this?

C

Back after a short break. haha. Had my motorcycle stolen. :(

Found this on another forum

http://www.motogpmatters.com/forum/viewtop...=274&p=5006

One interesting bit from an alleged rider.

"I got it off the Italian Mediaset website where a certain Rider "X" gossips:

'We’ve talked about it among ourselves and a lot of us do it before braking in left hand curves. On the right no, because even of all of us don’t use the rear brake, we like to keep this possibility if we should need it.

If you look carefully at our foot it points towards the inside of the corner. Its a way to create a new centre of gravity that makes the entrance more favourable when you risk going straight. It also helps you feel less the braking stress on your arms, because our pegs are placed way back.'"

As John Hopkins supposedly once said about steering, "I don't know. It just happens."