Avoiding Highsides

Jaybird180

OK so I went over page 15 in TOTW2

Stop rolling on, I guess that wherever you are in the throttle position, you hold it there until the rear wheel regains traction, at which point you would continue your roll on throughout the remainder of the turn! Is this correct?

Yes...and you are now armed with critical new information that will allow you to get back on the throttle - you know where the limit of traction is for that corner/angle/speed/ etc.

I can see that SR #1 would be hard to overcome in this situation and as you felt the rear come round more it could become very tempting to chop the throttle, the way I have gotten around SR #1 is by continually practicing TC rule #1 so this would be new to me!

Also worth checking page 9 of TOTW2!

From my experience, having the "book knowledge" of not chopping the throttle has allowed me to regain traction quickly and on to the next corner. It was so ingrained in my Level I course and from reading the Twist that it was almost second nature to hold the thottle steady until grip returned. Now I don't even think about it.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin I will work on holding a steady throttle in future, over the last year I have retrained myself to obey TC rule #1 which in turn has made the idea of chopping the throttle a big no no for me too!

Keith has recently revised the training program on the Slide Bike at the schools, getting even better results. Great tool to work on this. I know, I'm biased, so just call that a shameless plug.

Best,

Cobie