Throttle Control Rule #1

Jaybird180

Start rolling on the throttle as soon as the steering action is complete and you are on the correct line through the corner. If you charge the turn, or over-cook it, you will be struggling to get on the correct line, or maybe even to stay on the blacktop! If this happens, no doubt your roll-on will be delayed until you get pointed where you need to be.

If the road is damp or grip is low, good throttle control is that much more important.

• Like 1

For sketchy riding conditions, what's gonna give the maximum possible traction...can one beat 40 front/60 rear?  And add to that, which would you rather have slide, the front or the rear?

I believe getting to 40 front / 60 rear weight distribution for corners is always the goal regardless of wet or dry riding conditions. As to which I would rather have slide, it would be the rear. Rear traction can be managed with throttle control. The front is far harder to control / manage once traction starts to go.

Worth reminding myself that even in sketchy riding conditions throttle control rule #1 still applies - I don't want to be playing with the throttle (open/close/open) while I am in a corner. It will just cause weight distribution, and hence the degree of my traction, to be abruptly bouncing around.

Lastly, while cornering forces and braking are the two principle dynamics that have to share traction, clearly riding surface conditions dramatically impact the traction equation. So stating the obvious, in wet conditions my cornering speed needs to simply come down, which brings me back to the fundamental concept of making sure I have set my "entry speed" properly.

Always amazed at how when I nail my entry speed everything else (riding line, weight distribution, apex precision, exit drive, SR avoidance, etc.) seems to go well - and when I get it wrong everything suffers. 

Dave

4 hours ago, CoffeeFirst said:

Always amazed at how when I nail my entry speed everything else (riding line, weight distribution, apex precision, exit drive, SR avoidance, etc.) seems to go well - and when I get it wrong everything suffers. 

Dave

^THIS!!!

Everytime I get my entry speed wrong, everything is off. Before I even reach the apex im already annoyed in my head because I know that I'm off the line, I either came in too slow and now I'm making mid corner adjustments, or I came in too hot and im running wide and making mid corner adjustments. When I get the entry speed right however, like you said, everything else falls in line and it just feels right, feels better, feels amazing!

• Like 1