Adjusting To I4 From Vtwin

Question: I am signing up for classes in next May and riding the school bike, with about two years experience riding a 695CC Ducati v-twin; I am concerned about adjusting to the ZX6, specifically the higher RPMs and certainly much more horsepower than I am used to. Is that something to worry about? Will I be distracted learning to ride something that may feel very different from what I am used to? I am used to the power delivery at lower RPMs with the Ducati vs a Japanese inline four. I am sure I am not the first to have such a conern? I am actually looking forward to riding the ZX6 actually, and riding my bike is not an option, so big deal or not to worry?Thanks!Scott

Question: I am signing up for classes in next May and riding the school bike, with about two years experience riding a 695CC Ducati v-twin; I am concerned about adjusting to the ZX6, specifically the higher RPMs and certainly much more horsepower than I am used to. Is that something to worry about? Will I be distracted learning to ride something that may feel very different from what I am used to? I am used to the power delivery at lower RPMs with the Ducati vs a Japanese inline four. I am sure I am not the first to have such a conern? I am actually looking forward to riding the ZX6 actually, and riding my bike is not an option, so big deal or not to worry?Thanks!Scott

Scott,

Good question, and we do get it fairly often.

The short version is it normally it takes a few sessions to get used to the bikes, then they are not worried about it (often only 1-2). They work so well, are so neutral, that many find out what a bike should handle like, and you can take that back to compare to yours. You do spin them higher than a twin, and it can come on more at the top, but they are very ride-able, and it won't be overpowering.

Let us know what you think after you ride 'em!

Best,

Cobie

I have an '05 ZX6R, and my wife has an EX 650. While I'm waiting to get a seal fixed on mine, I'm riding my wifes bike. The biggest difference in the engines is the "pull." My wifes bike has power just about all the way through the RPM's, and my bike will lag until I hit 9 grand, and then there is a tremendous pull. The bike has a sudden boost of power. And you'll be able to feel that there is more power under you. If you're that uncomfortable, try riding the bike up one extra gear the first couple of laps.

My biggest thing is the body position. You can get down farther on your bike, than I can on my wifes, but to me that's the bigger difference. You'll adjust pretty fast, like Cobie said, then you'll do just fine. Just remember to have fun. Lucky duck.

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Scott,

Good question, and we do get it fairly often.

The short version is it normally it takes a few sessions to get used to the bikes, then they are not worried about it (often only 1-2). They work so well, are so neutral, that many find out what a bike should handle like, and you can take that back to compare to yours. You do spin them higher than a twin, and it can come on more at the top, but they are very ride-able, and it won't be overpowering.

Let us know what you think after you ride 'em!

Best,

Cobie

Thanks Cobie, for both the "official welcome" and your prompt assurance as to my concern. I am really looking forward levels 1&2 in May at VIR, and excited to do it on the ZX6! Furthermore, I've read all Keith's books several times over, and I'll keep re-reading them right up until my school date so I should be pretty familiar with everything - so then maybe I can afford to spend some of my $10 on adjusting to a different bike :-)

Thanks Cobie, for both the "official welcome" and your prompt assurance as to my concern. I am really looking forward levels 1&2 in May at VIR, and excited to do it on the ZX6! Furthermore, I've read all Keith's books several times over, and I'll keep re-reading them right up until my school date so I should be pretty familiar with everything - so then maybe I can afford to spend some of my $10 on adjusting to a different bike :-)

We'll be interested to know how it goes for you, have to post it after you do the school.

CF