Opinions Suggestions?

fossilfuel

Hi Guy's,

It has been a while since I have posted. It seems that I have missed several philosophical discussions and thankfully no one has said anything about ones mother? I have been enjoying my MotoGP 08 game since finishing my last track day a few weeks back at Barber.

The question I have is about my riding. I took two motorcycles to Barber, 1000cc and 600cc and had almost identical lap times on both motorcycles. If I am 6 to 8 seconds slower (1:42.00 - 1:43.00) than the fastest riders in the advanced class of which I am in, what can this say about where I can improve. Does it reveal anything?

P.S. I hope that all of you have a great and safe Holiday.

Hi Guy's,

It has been a while since I have posted. It seems that I have missed several philosophical discussions and thankfully no one has said anything about ones mother? I have been enjoying my MotoGP 08 game since finishing my last track day a few weeks back at Barber.

The question I have is about my riding. I took two motorcycles to Barber, 1000cc and 600cc and had almost identical lap times on both motorcycles. If I am 6 to 8 seconds slower (1:42.00 - 1:43.00) than the fastest riders in the advanced class of which I am in, what can this say about where I can improve. Does it reveal anything?

Hey Fossil,

I'm faster on the 600 than the ZX10. Maybe I could get closer if I spent more time on it, but the 600's are such a nice alround package, another 20 hp, and I'll be really happy.

Here's one thought for you: any mile an hour you can keep on the way into a turn, and not loose by being late coming back to the gas, is a "free" mile an hour, know what I mean by that?

BTW, had a great holiday, must be your doing :)

CF

I'm faster on the 600 than the ZX10. Maybe I could get closer if I spent more time on it, but the 600's are such a nice alround package, another 20 hp, and I'll be really happy.

Here's one thought for you: any mile an hour you can keep on the way into a turn, and not loose by being late coming back to the gas, is a "free" mile an hour, know what I mean by that?

BTW, had a great holiday, must be your doing :)

CF

A "free" mile an hour?

Would that be because you were able to enter the turn faster, and obey TR rule #1, you don't have to use as much of you traction to exit the turn w/ the same speed as you had before the "free" mile an hr?

If that is the case, it makes simple and perfect sense that you could use the same about of traction, lean angle as before with no extra cost/risk. You would obviosly exit atleast a mile an hr faster.

Hi Guy's,

It has been a while since I have posted. It seems that I have missed several philosophical discussions and thankfully no one has said anything about ones mother?

LOL

Your mother wears Army boots.

I have been enjoying my MotoGP 08 game since finishing my last track day a few weeks back at Barber.

For what it is worth, Troy Bayliss was the only 1000cc superbike rider to lap faster than the supersport 600's at the World Superbike round in Portugal this year.

A "free" mile an hour?

Would that be because you were able to enter the turn faster, and obey TR rule #1, you don't have to use as much of you traction to exit the turn w/ the same speed as you had before the "free" mile an hr?

If that is the case, it makes simple and perfect sense that you could use the same about of traction, lean angle as before with no extra cost/risk. You would obviosly exit atleast a mile an hr faster.

If one can keep the entry speed higher than say another rider, and keep TC #1 nice and early, will the guy that is 1 mph slower have a chance? Don't know about using less traction for this.

CF

Hi Guy's,

It has been a while since I have posted. It seems that I have missed several philosophical discussions and thankfully no one has said anything about ones mother?

LOL

Your mother wears Army boots.

I have been enjoying my MotoGP 08 game since finishing my last track day a few weeks back at Barber.

For what it is worth, Troy Bayliss was the only 1000cc superbike rider to lap faster than the supersport 600's at the World Superbike round in Portugal this year.

My 1000 is getting a little long in the tooth and a close friend trusted me with his 600 to try. I really liked it. It took less effort and was a lot of fun running around the track. I probably could have gone faster but didn't want to have to pay for damage. I just noticed that the times were the same and thought...I know I need to go faster, no question about that but I was wondering about throttle control and corner speed. It seems logical to believe that since the 1000 has more power, I might be losing time on the drive out or on corner entry speed. I would think that the 600 has no advantage on the straight away with a 1000 so the corners were where I was making the time up on the 1000.

Hey Racer...I figured that you would be the one to mention my mother! Took you long enough to respond

D.

My 1000 is getting a little long in the tooth and a close friend trusted me with his 600 to try. I really liked it. It took less effort and was a lot of fun running around the track. I probably could have gone faster but didn't want to have to pay for damage. I just noticed that the times were the same and thought...I know I need to go faster, no question about that but I was wondering about throttle control and corner speed. It seems logical to believe that since the 1000 has more power, I might be losing time on the drive out or on corner entry speed. I would think that the 600 has no advantage on the straight away with a 1000 so the corners were where I was making the time up on the 1000.

Hey Racer...I figured that you would be the one to mention my mother! Took you long enough to respond

D.

I cant believe that you could lap a borrowed 600 at nearly the same times as your 1000, Imagine how much faster you could go if it was your own bike!

D.

I cant believe that you could lap a borrowed 600 at nearly the same times as your 1000, Imagine how much faster you could go if it was your own bike!

You know, I never had any doubt in my mind that I could ride my friends bike without trashing it because of the lessons I have learned at CSS. One applies the same technics and lessons learned on all bikes. I will tell you though, I would love to go out right now and buy a 600 because I have ridden the 600 and 1000 at two different tracks and had the same results. Unfortunatley, we here in the U.S. are in somewhat of a financial crisis so I will be riding the old girl (1000RR) for another year.

P.S. The only thing that bothered me about the 600 was the tight area of power and the fact that I felt a loss of power near red line. My friend has a power commander on it so I am sure it just needs tuning.

D.

You know, I never had any doubt in my mind that I could ride my friends bike without trashing it because of the lessons I have learned at CSS. One applies the same technics and lessons learned on all bikes. I will tell you though, I would love to go out right now and buy a 600 because I have ridden the 600 and 1000 at two different tracks and had the same results. Unfortunatley, we here in the U.S. are in somewhat of a financial crisis so I will be riding the old girl (1000RR) for another year.

P.S. The only thing that bothered me about the 600 was the tight area of power and the fact that I felt a loss of power near red line. My friend has a power commander on it so I am sure it just needs tuning.

What year's are the bikes? The issue the 1000RR has been "struggling" with prior to the 08 model is turn-in ability. The 600 turns on a dime. Perhaps your quick turn ability accounts for the difference. You were able to get on the gas sooner/ harder, encouraging you to enter the corner faster, thus your laptimes were same since as Cobie mentioned you had the entry speed advantage on the 600.

The selection of track WILL make a difference. Go to a high speed track vs tight technical track. Perhaps I'll review the Portugal FIM races again as suggested above.