Forget My Technique!

Gigi

Here is my problem, when I am riding during pratices or trackdays, I usualy have «pretty good» technique (still have a lot of room to improve but, not bad! lolll). But when I am racing, not always, but if I am under «pressure» or if I am a little bit faster that what I am used to be, I am loosing my technique and sometimes «forget» to hang off... That problem appear around 2 years ago when I became faster, when I am doing track days I am riding slower that I could and hang off a lot (like on the rain) to put the habbit in my mind... but as soon as I am in pressure situation, the first thing that I know is that I come back in the pits with scratchs on engines covers and bodywork...

Here is a great pic to explain what I mean, I'm in front, with some «pressure» (lolllll realy?) and my bike is sooooo lean compare the 2 other racers! I can totally told you how I was feeling in my mind at that moment only by looking that very «unconfortable» body position, and I can also told when I am very in control and relax on other pictures just by looking at my body position...

n561150503_3719514_6374.jpg

Is there any physical tip that I can use or I only have to work «in my head» (sorry I dont know the word in english... lolll)? I know it's probably hard to answer without seing me riding, but I just want to think about it during the winter... I will have a very big season next year and realy have to fix that problem...

Here is my problem, when I am riding during pratices or trackdays, I usualy have pretty good technique (still have a lot of room to improve but, not bad! lolll). But when I am racing, not always, but if I am under pressure or if I am a little bit faster that what I am used to be, I am loosing my technique and sometimes; to hang off... Is there any physical tip that I can use or I only have to work in my head (sorry I dont know the word in english... lolll)? I know it's probably hard to answer without seing me riding, but I just want to think about it during the winter... I will have a very big season next year and realy have to fix that problem...

Gigi;

You have described the problem but do you know WHY you don't hang off at speed? Was it how you were taught (I have heard that one of the Canadian Track/Race Schools teaches a rider to keep their torso/head back over the tank) or could it be a "Survival Reaction"? In your mind you know that your technique is working against you but you do something different. If you can find the answer to the question of "why you do it?" you will find your solution...I think.

Others here know far more about racing than I do so hopefully Cobie, Stu, Andy Ibbot or some of our lurkers who race will chime in here.

Kevin

You have described the problem but do you know WHY you don't hang off at speed? Was it how you were taught (I have heard that one of the Canadian Track/Race Schools teaches a rider to keep their torso/head back over the tank) or could it be a "Survival Reaction"? In your mind you know that your technique is working against you but you do something different. If you can find the answer to the question of "why you do it?" you will find your solution...I think.

Others here know far more about racing than I do so hopefully Cobie, Stu, Andy Ibbot or some of our lurkers who race will chime in here.

Kevin

Well... interesting... Survival reaction, maybe! For sure I am not scared about crashing... If I was, I wouldn't race! I am more worried about the bike... lollll I am putting so much money on it and it's the only one I have... Yes here, there is schools who teach to keep the head over the tank, but this is not what I am trying to do, I am trying to put together all what I have learn, especialy at the CSB...

Hey Gigi (what a cool name by the way :) )

I kinda of have this theory about practice vs: race modes. I think that during practice we tend to think much more about our riding and work on skills that we think are going to help us go faster. Then when the green flag drops 1/2 of that stuff goes out the window and we ride more on instinct :)

So the thing is, we have to make it so that what we think is proper form becomes instinct. You have to practice perfect form all the time, and you have to practice at a pace that presses you a bit. Anyone can ride around and use perfect form and good lines etc. at a reasonable pace. You have to ride HARD in practice and make sure that you are still doing things right. After a while the proper form will come natural and you will continue to do it even while under pressure during a race.

There is some saying about "perfect practice" but I forget how that goes so :) I'll just say do it right during practice, but ride hard enough in practice to challenge yourself. Put some pressure on yourself in practice to get decent lap times.

PS: I'm going to move your thread over to the cornering forum as you may get more responses over there. This one is kinda just for questions about the school.

Well... interesting... Survival reaction, maybe! For sure I am not scared about crashing... If I was, I wouldn't race! I am more worried about the bike... lollll I am putting so much money on it and it's the only one I have... Yes here, there is schools who teach to keep the head over the tank, but this is not what I am trying to do, I am trying to put together all what I have learn, especialy at the CSB...

Gigi--remind me, what schools have you done?

One question I have is, how early do you begin the hang off process?

Best.

Cobie

Hey Gigi (what a cool name by the way :) )

I kinda of have this theory about practice vs: race modes. I think that during practice we tend to think much more about our riding and work on skills that we think are going to help us go faster. Then when the green flag drops 1/2 of that stuff goes out the window and we ride more on instinct :)

Stuman, you just answered a question I was going to post today. I was at the track yesterday and usually don't push it. But yesterday with some friends I started really getting on it trying to keep pace, and I went back like two steps in my BP (chest away from the tank, lower body pushed up on the tank, and bad foot position), which affected my coming out of corners, and ultimately the SPEED. I slowed back down because I was getting too careless, and went straight back to good (decent) form, and improved on my speed.

I did think that it might have been SR, but besides sliding the front a couple times, nothing that I could think that I was doing would trigger this.

Not to steal Gigi's post, but how can I best work on this? You said you have to practice at a pace that presses you a bit. Is that something we should do every lap, or could I do every other lap so I can evaluate what I'm doing?

If you can get the technique right at some pace, then bring the speed up a little at a time. When the technique goes south, how about back it down a hair from there, and work to get it back.

Some at the schools think it has to be a light switch--going slow or going fast. What if some smaller gradient steps could be put in?

Here are the schools I did since 2003:

ADL Promoto, niveau 1-2 /2003

FAST Riding school, niveau 1-2 /2004

RACE Riding school /2004

Penguin Racing School /2005

California Superbike School, niveau 1 /2005

Fast Riding School, niveau «R» / 2006

Fast Riding School, niveau «R» / 2007

California Superbike School, niveau 2-3 /2008

As long as I will race or ride on track, I will try for sure in the future, to do a minimum of 1 school a year, I always have some things to lear!

I have so many great answers here (thanks!), because my english is not good, I have tried to understand the best I can but I will need my translator to help me understand some words and I will read all that tonight!

Gigi,

Thanks for that, now I understand more. Your English seems pretty good to me, and for sure it's OK to let us know if there are some words/terms you don't understand.

Let us know after you get with your translator!

Best,

Cobie

• 4 weeks later...
Gigi,

Thanks for that, now I understand more. Your English seems pretty good to me, and for sure it's OK to let us know if there are some words/terms you don't understand.

Let us know after you get with your translator!

Best,

Cobie

It takes me a while to answer (internet vacation during Christmas time... lolll).

Thanks for all your answers, there is some very interesting points :-) I will try some things and let you know about it during my racing season! :-)