Stock Throttle Or Quick Turn

I have a question for the forum on throttle hand position.

I'm thinking about something and for some reason I don't quite recall how I changed my grip on the throttle to be able to roll full throttle.

I know it sounds silly, but I recall countersteering to max lean and then rotating my hand forward so that I could roll the throttle. I was above mid throttle by the time I reached the apex. Somehow, after coutersteering, I would manipulate my hand to be at a comfortable position so that by the time I would get tucked back in after the exit I was at full throttle. I just for the life of me can't seem to recall at what point in the turn I would do this.

It seemed that I had LOADS of time to make any adjustments I needed to get comfy mid-turn; so much that I discovered that I had my right hand at an awkward angle (but that's unrelated).

If you change your hand position, at what point do you do it? (if you have a stock throttle)

I'm thinking about something and for some reason I don't quite recall how I changed my grip on the throttle to be able to roll full throttle.

I know it sounds silly, but I recall countersteering to max lean and then rotating my hand forward so that I could roll the throttle. I was above mid throttle by the time I reached the apex. Somehow, after coutersteering, I would manipulate my hand to be at a comfortable position so that by the time I would get tucked back in after the exit I was at full throttle. I just for the life of me can't seem to recall at what point in the turn I would do this.

It seemed that I had LOADS of time to make any adjustments I needed to get comfy mid-turn; so much that I discovered that I had my right hand at an awkward angle (but that's unrelated).

If you change your hand position, at what point do you do it? (if you have a stock throttle)

JB and I talked a little about this, here's a short version of my response.

1. I make sure I have no throttle play. Some people like some, I like just about zero. I roll the throttle back and forth, check the play, adjust it out (make sure done correctly, once I adjusted it too far, came off the thread). Also check (with engine runnig) that it doesn't add throttle when turning the bars.

2. When I position my hand for braking, I roll it forward.

These 2 things keep me from having to reposition mid - turn.

What do you guys do?

C

I have a quick turn throttle on my race bike which is fantastic, one less thing to think about ($10 of attention). On the 12R I typically keep my throttle well adjusted and of course avoid huge handfuls of throttle in a turn so it doesn't appear to be much of a problem.

The only time I readjust my grip is on long straights and I go back to the normal grip when I start to brake. All the other times, my hand is kind of in an awkward position at full throttle but I got used to it. I would love to do a quick turn throttle mod on the bike but I cant find anything reasonably cheap for the 06+ R6. Anything more than $40, I'd rather spend on tires.

I rode a friends bike, who had the problem of having getting 100% throttle with re-gripping (I didn't know at the time I rode the bike).

Sure enough, I had the same problem of getting 100% throttle opening.

The problem was the brake lever. It was positioned too high, so that when you got off the brake, you physically couldn't roll the throttle to fully open.

We adjusted the brake lever height correctly. Problem solved. It is amazing how much difference it made. For a start, the bugger was harder to keep up with on the exit of the corners <smirk>

Cheers

JB and I talked a little about this, here's a short version of my response.

1. I make sure I have no throttle play. Some people like some, I like just about zero. I roll the throttle back and forth, check the play, adjust it out (make sure done correctly, once I adjusted it too far, came off the thread). Also check (with engine runnig) that it doesn't add throttle when turning the bars.

2. When I position my hand for braking, I roll it forward.

These 2 things keep me from having to reposition mid - turn.

What do you guys do?

C

Cobie et al,

To respond to your post and your PM:

It's never a problem at anything less than....say 90% throttle. I have good range of motion and small changes in throttle position results in small changes in RPM. I have my brake lever adjusted down, but I could revisit that.

I also recall that when I got this done (hand adjustment) I could leave it there for the remainder of the lap. I recall changing position in the 3rd section of ess (duh....this is followed by the back straight/ kink- the fastest portion of the circuit). So basically for 1/5 of the lap I had 10%-100% throttle and the other 4/5ths lap I had 0-90%.

I still don't recall when mid-corner I changed my hand, just that I did so I could get that hard drive for the exit leading to the only real straight on the circuit. Would this be the correct technique?

My quick turn is hardly expensive, it's a stock SV650 one, fits right on the 6R (not being a huge Suzuki fan I take some ribbing). It's not a 1/4 turn full on kit part but it does offer a different ratio, someone told me 5/8, nice thing is if I break the throttle tube in a crash it's cheap to replace and racers like cheap, more in budget for tires and entry fees! John perhaps you can find something that works on your bike, check with your local racers.

My quick turn is hardly expensive, it's a stock SV650 one, fits right on the 6R (not being a huge Suzuki fan I take some ribbing). It's not a 1/4 turn full on kit part but it does offer a different ratio, someone told me 5/8, nice thing is if I break the throttle tube in a crash it's cheap to replace and racers like cheap, more in budget for tires and entry fees! John perhaps you can find something that works on your bike, check with your local racers.

QT may be a better option on a track only bike. How well does it work on a street bike? I ride both. On top of that I've lowered my gearing (I'll change it back one day...)

Quick Throttle! Wonderful gizmo. I need to put a different cam in mine to make it even quicker. I think I will look in to that this afternoon....Thanks for reminding me.

Learning point. What is a quick turn? I've never heard of that.

As far as hand positioning, I was taught to adjust my levers so that going into a turn, braking and shifting, my wrists were straight for better control in a turn. I have 0 play in my throttle. It's comfortable for me that way.

Learning point. What is a quick turn? I've never heard of that.

As far as hand positioning, I was taught to adjust my levers so that going into a turn, braking and shifting, my wrists were straight for better control in a turn. I have 0 play in my throttle. It's comfortable for me that way.

A quick turn throttle, allows you to get to 100% throttle opening with less wrist movement than with the standard throttle. ie : On your standard throttle, if it takes 110 degrees to turn your standard throttle from 0% to 100% It will only take maybe 80% on a quick turn throttle.

When we fitted one to another bike, we had to remove one of the return springs, because it was too hard to turn otherwise. The carbies had double return springs, so it was an easy fix.

Personally, I prefer the standard throttle my bike came with, 0 play, plus I've set my idle revs from 1,500 to just under 3,000rpm.

Cheers

I am seeing a lot of positive reviews here on the quick turn throttle idea - it sounds great to me, too, I don't like how far I have to turn my throttle to get it wide open. However, just to share my experience with it, I put one on my bike, and had a tough time with it. It broke repeatedly, and if I hadn't had access to a really terrific mechanic right at trackside I would have been sidelined on at least two track days. I finally took it off and went back to stock. You can PM me if you want to know WHICH throttle it was, but the manufacturer's name starts with Y. Hopefully mine was an isolated case, but just thought I should share the info - on mine the set screws backed out easily, were very tiny and hard to use, and the metal screw connection in the cable actually snapped in half.

If any of you have another throttle that has worked well for you or you have been very happy with, post the info, I'm interested. I probably won't tackle the homemade PVC solution that I see on some other sites, although if you did it and it works great, I'd be interested to hear that, too.

The guys that have quick turn (also called 1/4 turn sometimes), that work well, why don't you post their info up here?

Sounds like Hotfoot could use a good recommendation.

• 1 month later...

YoYoDyne

"All CNC machined in aluminum, the new push-pull throttle kit is a required accessory for racers that want only the best for their motorcycle. Thanks to the ability to change the cams inside that modify the speed of the push-pull throttle, everybody can find the right combination of speed and control. The new design with bigger rotors can be installed on each bike with any problems with the 2 cables that are include in the kit that fit. The push-pull throttle kit can be installed with Run/Stop-Start switch for bikes that originally come with this control integrated in the throttle housing."

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=E80061

YoYoDyne

"All CNC machined in aluminum, the new push-pull throttle kit is a required accessory for racers that want only the best for their motorcycle. Thanks to the ability to change the cams inside that modify the speed of the push-pull throttle, everybody can find the right combination of speed and control. The new design with bigger rotors can be installed on each bike with any problems with the 2 cables that are include in the kit that fit. The push-pull throttle kit can be installed with Run/Stop-Start switch for bikes that originally come with this control integrated in the throttle housing."

Thanks for the info, bet Hotfoot would have liked to know that sooner, had nothing but problems with the one purchased, finally took it off.

C

YoYoDyne

Thanks for the info, bet Hotfoot would have liked to know that sooner, had nothing but problems with the one purchased, finally took it off.

C

Thanks for posting this, I appreciate the recommendation, however unfortunately the Yoyodyne IS the one I had, and I had trouble with it. One problem was that the set screws fell out so the throttle body was slipping, and the set screws were VERY tiny and a weird size. Will actually MADE a tool to put them back in for me. Then it was still not operating smoothly and we found a place where it was rubbing and hanging up, and then ultimately took it off, and at that point found that one of the pieces of hardware in the cable had snapped in half. So, I'm not saying they don't work - they seem very popular, so they probably do, but it didn't go well for me. FYI, the reason I wanted a 1/4 turn throttle was to reduce the amount I have to turn to full open, my wrist was getting sore.

YoYoDyne

C

Thanks for posting this, I appreciate the recommendation, however unfortunately the Yoyodyne IS the one I had, and I had trouble with it. One problem was that the set screws fell out so the throttle body was slipping, and the set screws were VERY tiny and a weird size. Will actually MADE a tool to put them back in for me. Then it was still not operating smoothly and we found a place where it was rubbing and hanging up, and then ultimately took it off, and at that point found that one of the pieces of hardware in the cable had snapped in half. So, I'm not saying they don't work - they seem very popular, so they probably do, but it didn't go well for me. FYI, the reason I wanted a 1/4 turn throttle was to reduce the amount I have to turn to full open, my wrist was getting sore.

If I keep my current ride, I may look into a throttle for the same reason as you HOTFOOT. I'd heard about people making them themselves. Doesn't seem that difficult to change the cam size. Have you looked into that option?

If I keep my current ride, I may look into a throttle for the same reason as you HOTFOOT. I'd heard about people making them themselves. Doesn't seem that difficult to change the cam size. Have you looked into that option?

I've seen some forum posts with instructions to make one from PVC. It doesn't look that difficult to do, but I don't quite have the nerve to try it; my hope was that I could buy a kit, have a mechanic install it correctly, and not have to worry about the reliability. :(

I've seen some forum posts with instructions to make one from PVC. It doesn't look that difficult to do, but I don't quite have the nerve to try it; my hope was that I could buy a kit, have a mechanic install it correctly, and not have to worry about the reliability. :(

Home-made is always better. Remember those home-made cards you used to give your mom when you were a little kid? :D

Here's one just released by Motion Pro, retails for $154.99 US

Motion pro throttle

Nice...and better priced too. Too bad it isn't universal, then I could take it bike-bike as I figured I've got about 1-2 years left on this one before I get the itch for something newer.

Motion pro throttle

Nice...and better priced too. Too bad it isn't universal, then I could take it bike-bike as I figured I've got about 1-2 years left on this one before I get the itch for something newer.

Hey Hotfoot, want to be the guinea pig?

Motion pro throttle

Hey Hotfoot, want to be the guinea pig?

I'm willing to try it, but not for a few months, I don't want to make another change like that until I am sure I have my engine issues sorted out, AND get to RIDE the darn thing a few times. If my wrist starts getting sore again, that will move it up on my priority list. I AM really pleased to see the link, though, it really does look like a nice product. Thanks for the post, sleepr!