What Comes Easiest To You?

What part of your cornering are you best at? Good on the way in (entry speed)? Brave with lean angle mid turn? Good on the drive out? Body position on the bike? Able to sense rear wheel traction well?

What is your strong point (or at least one of them)?

What part of your cornering are you best at? Good on the way in (entry speed)? Brave with lean angle mid turn? Good on the drive out? Body position on the bike? Able to sense rear wheel traction well?

Good question.

I would say that my strongest point is the drive exiting the corners.

I don't have a strong point. It's not just that I need improvement here or there, but in everything. I'm really slow on entry, I know I need to lean more, my BP needs work in the worst way, and I don't push it enough on the exit to have any tire slippage except for a few corners. I'm dying to take CSS.

I get some pointers from some of the riders at the track, but I'm at the point where I need coaching from someone more advanced to get me over the hump. We have our top racer out there who has started a school (half day basic instruction, the other half for trackday) and I might take it, but we'll see. Summer is coming, and no one is going out unless their racing because it's going to be too hot.

Hub--when you are riding, what area do you think you do even just a hair better than the other things you do? Like you catch guys, going in, mid turn, or you think you are good on the brakes, or accurate in middle speed turns, or no problem on decreasing radius turns?

Vio--got it, drive is good. What would you like to improve?

CF

Biggest thing i need to work on is entry speed on blind corners. I sometimes have a tendency to 'freeze up' before dropping into a blind turn, which doesn't do anything but cause more problems

CF

Biggest thing i need to work on is entry speed on blind corners. I sometimes have a tendency to 'freeze up' before dropping into a blind turn, which doesn't do anything but cause more problems

Blind turns, quite a challenge. Did we get you into Level 2 yet?

C

CF

Blind turns, quite a challenge. Did we get you into Level 2 yet?

C

Unfortunately I haven't even done Level 1 yet :P

Just love this forum for it's technical approach to problems that actually matter :)

Just love this forum for it's technical approach to problems that actually matter :)

I do hope we get you to one, sooner rather than later :) There is a skill that Keith is training now (in Level 2) that is not in any of the books yet, and totally sorted out blind turns for me, like night and day.

Good point you brought up though, not everyone nails down what they do and don't do well, w/out some real help.

Best,

CF

I do hope we get you to one, sooner rather than later :) There is a skill that Keith is training now (in Level 2) that is not in any of the books yet, and totally sorted out blind turns for me, like night and day.

Good point you brought up though, not everyone nails down what they do and don't do well, w/out some real help.

Best,

CF

Reading through these forums has helped me a great deal with my riding capabilities. Easily the best forum I have found for those serious about improving their abilities and skills

Hub--when you are riding, what area do you think you do even just a hair better than the other things you do? Like you catch guys, going in, mid turn, or you think you are good on the brakes, or accurate in middle speed turns, or no problem on decreasing radius turns?

I'm good on the brakes, and feel like I'm comfortable going into corners, even though I'm not at the speed I want, and think my great braking is what starts me on my poor drive into, through, and ultimately out of corners.

I'm just slow on everything that isn't straight. I can figure apexes out pretty well, but I'm not fast enough most of the time, especially when I need apex early to push the bike wide, to do what I NEED to do. TOTW says to keep a bike tight, so ultimately we know how much faster we can go, but I have to go wide on corners to set up for the next one.

Hub,

OK, so if you are good on the brakes, but loose it later, how about getting the braking done a little earlier?

C

Hub,

OK, so if you are good on the brakes, but loose it later, how about getting the braking done a little earlier?

C

I work on that a lot, and sometimes end up having to use throttle after braking before dipping the bike just to get into the corner. I think that is where my misconception so many months ago about "maintenance throttle" came into being. I'm going to go into the next trackday in May off of what I've learned in recently; use the brake to set a speed, not just to slow the bike down. Maybe if I go in thinking differently I'll be able to come up with something I can improve and work on.

Best,

CF

Did we do it when I was there?

Considering that the question is not 'what are you GOOD at' I would have to go with corner exit. Although I did notice how better entries helped mid-corner which helped exit and BP. Been a long time since I've been even close to approaching any traction issues, except the ones in my head.

Best,

CF

Did we do it when I was there?

Yep, 3rd skill of the day.

C