Kneedown

Wurn

Its definately the street that i am reffering to. We have this very nicely tarred double lane'd one way and double laned opposite way shortish mountain pass where one can get your knee down i assume.

Its here where i have practised. Also on my way to work and home there is this piece of road with 3 gorgeous fast turns where i am sure one can get your knee down, but i think it will take a brave man to do this.

As you know i ride everyday with my bike. Ive only once ridden on a track.

Its definately the street that i am reffering to. We have this very nicely tarred double lane'd one way and double laned opposite way shortish mountain pass where one can get your knee down i assume.

Its here where i have practised. Also on my way to work and home there is this piece of road with 3 gorgeous fast turns where i am sure one can get your knee down, but i think it will take a brave man to do this.

As you know i ride everyday with my bike. Ive only once ridden on a track.

Also, could have a lot to do with flexibility. I, myself, am not very flexible and have longer legs so i am a bit cramped on my bike. My buddy who is more flexible and has shorter legs got his knee down at the track much more than i did. He actually went through his entire left knee puck in one day where as mine still have plenty of meat left on them.

SO basically what you saying is that i will find it difficult because of my height? Im 6ft3inch i think, 1.89m in total.

SO basically what you saying is that i will find it difficult because of my height? Im 6ft3inch i think, 1.89m in total.

Depends on how cramped you are on your bike (my pegs are placed a bit higher) and how flexible you are. I am not flexible whatsoever, i'll tell you that. I dont know how those MotoGP riders stick there leg out perpendicular to the bike, my leg just doesn't bend like that :)

Depends on how cramped you are on your bike (my pegs are placed a bit higher) and how flexible you are. I am not flexible whatsoever, i'll tell you that. I dont know how those MotoGP riders stick there leg out perpendicular to the bike, my leg just doesn't bend like that :)

While this issue has come up now and again at the school, honestly its pretty rare, and we've had riders a lot taller than that. A rider might sacrifice a little with getting low on the bike, but if the other techniques are in good shape, can get along pretty well.

Or, do some yoga :)

... that is not me on my Avatar but rather the Legend Freddie Spencer. I am glad actually that you commented on it. I was meaning many a time to ask opinions about his body positioning in that pic. ;)

LOL. I hadn't realized that's Freddie Spencer in the pic. (I wasn't following motorcyle racing in his day so, while I'd certainly heard of him (as you point out, he's a legend), I'd never actually seen him on TV or in a photo). I'm almost embarrased that I was spouting out suggestions on how the rider could 'improve' his body position. :lol:

However, a couple of points. Firstly, notwithstanding that it's Freddie Spencer, there's no doubt that the knee would be on the ground if the hips were rotated more to the left. (I know, he wouldn't have had any trouble getting his knee down anyway - I'm talking about technique for mortals).

Secondly, I suspect that guys like Spencer, who have so much natural skill and grow up from early childhood with motorcycling, develop styles that 'feel right' for them. If you look at the current crop of MotoGP riders, their body positioning styles have quite a bit of variation.

I guess the point to take out of all that is that, in the end, body position has got to be something that gives each individual the best feel for what the bike is doing and the most confidence and trust that he/she can control it through the corner. However, the CSS recommendations provide a very solid foundation from which to make adjustments for an individual style.

Cheers,

Taras

... that is not me on my Avatar but rather the Legend Freddie Spencer. I am glad actually that you commented on it. I was meaning many a time to ask opinions about his body positioning in that pic. ;)

LOL. I hadn't realized that's Freddie Spencer in the pic. (I wasn't following motorcyle racing in his day so, while I'd certainly heard of him (as you point out, he's a legend), I'd never actually seen him on TV or in a photo). I'm almost embarrased that I was spouting out suggestions on how the rider could 'improve' his body position. :lol:

However, a couple of points. Firstly, notwithstanding that it's Freddie Spencer, there's no doubt that the knee would be on the ground if the hips were rotated more to the left. (I know, he wouldn't have had any trouble getting his knee down anyway - I'm talking about technique for mortals).

Secondly, I suspect that guys like Spencer, who have so much natural skill and grow up from early childhood with motorcycling, develop styles that 'feel right' for them. If you look at the current crop of MotoGP riders, their body positioning styles have quite a bit of variation.

I guess the point to take out of all that is that, in the end, body position has got to be something that gives each individual the best feel for what the bike is doing and the most confidence and trust that he/she can control it through the corner. However, the CSS recommendations provide a very solid foundation from which to make adjustments for an individual style.

Cheers,

Taras

Hi Taras,

You have good observation and don't be embarrassed with your comment on the Legend Freddie Spencer's picture-- it is difficult to tell from that picture what the Legend was doing at that moment. He might not be at cornering but might be just switching from left to right and at that instant, is showing a different BP which is less familiar.

It's also important to note that at the time, suspension, tyre and bike technology wasn't anywhere near what it is now, the limitations of what could be done are very different from todays bikes, and lets not also forget they're also riding big angry 500 cc two strokes with horridly tricky power bands. Can't say as I'd want to have one of them leaned over and come back to gas either. :lol:

Bullet

Well to be honest that is not me on my Avatar but rather the Legend Freddie Spencer. I am glad actually that you commented on it. I was meaning many a time to ask opinions about his body positioning in that pic. ;)

With the advancements in BP and cornering, Freddie's BP would be considered poor, no matter what type of corner he's going through, or where on the corner he is. With our groupings, even most of the superstreet riders will have their BP sorted better than that before moving to the intermediate group. I'm sure he doesn't look anything like that now. Back in the day, that's what they looked like. The way the new riders are trained, you won't see another Moto GP rider who works his way up through 125's look ANYTHING like that.

I'm 6'2, and it gives me an edge if I just want to stick my knee out and grind away at the pucks. If you have any pics of you, it would give us something to work on if we are going to properly diagnose your problem.