Cornering Technique, What's Top Priority?

For me, the top priority has to do with VISION.

Sense of speed, choosing good reference points, sense of lean angle, finding good lines, timing, throttle control... All of that stuff is related to what you perceive through your eyes! A bald statement perhaps, and you might not agree with me. That's fine ;) But just think about it for a second..

Proper entry speed is important on the track, and it can be critical on the road, right? And to set a "good" entry speed, you need to know how fast you're going. Well, the wide vision helps a lot here, right?

You also need to know what kind of turn it is. Looking at the vanishing point helps to determine wether the corner is CR, IR or DR..

Target fixation can be 'fixed' (pun intended) as long as you are in control of your vision, and not the other way around!

Reference points won't help much unless you look at them before you actually get there, and then using your peripheral vision as you reach/pass them. See where I'm going? IMHO, just about all the riding skills are related to vision.

I can only speak for myself, but I'll tell you this: My knee kissed the tarmac for the first time during one of the visual skills (I think it was the RP+timing drill). Heck, I wasn't even TRYING to go faster or lean more, I was just looking "at the right place at the right time" and there I was scraping my knee through just about all the corners within a couple of laps.. :lol:

I am quite certain that how I perceive the situation, being on track or road, has a tremendous effect on all other aspects of riding. Having at basic understanding of when and where (and how) to look has definately helped me becoming faster, smoother, more relaxed and confident rider, which is what it's all about. On the other hand, I believe poor vision skills is a major contributor to SR's and "stupid" mistakes/accidents..!

So when I get to level 4, I'll probably spend most of the time improving my vision skills! :blink:;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi cobie and all been a while just thought i,d add my dimes worth as you say in the states , goin right back to the top and from my own personal experience i would say that the most important skill because its a fundamental basic is countersteering (even if you can,t figure out the why just accept it as a given !) combined with the visual drills .

i,ve learnt that after all the debate , this is how motorcycles turn and how eyes / brain works .

well mine works better sometimes than others !

hi cobie and all been a while just thought i,d add my dimes worth as you say in the states , goin right back to the top and from my own personal experience i would say that the most important skill because its a fundamental basic is countersteering (even if you can,t figure out the why just accept it as a given !) combined with the visual drills .

i,ve learnt that after all the debate , this is how motorcycles turn and how eyes / brain works .

well mine works better sometimes than others !