Are Dirt Bikes And Sports Bikes Of The Same Design To Ride?

I want so much to have a motorbike but i can't because i have epilepsy and have to be seizure free for a year before i can have a license. And i obviously can't take motorbike lessons either. So i was thinking of getting a dirt bike and teaching myself to ride around the forest and sand pit where i live. What i want to know is are dirt bikes and sports bikes pretty much the same to ride apart from stronger cc or would i be wasting my time buying one?

Hi Trixie,

The physical controls of the bike are the same certainly, brakes, gears etc are all exactly in the same place and so that would definitely assist with the process of learning to ride. The styles of riding are very different in many respects, for example on a dirt bike you're mainly stood up on the pegs to move your weight around the bike, were on a road bike your sat on the seat.

Dirt bikes have knobbly tires that dig into the surface and and you can throw the bike around underneath you getting traction, road bikes we attempt to keep them as upright as we can.

The big benefits of learning to ride a dirt bike is you can learn a great deal about traction, sliding a bike and throttle control, that would translate over onto high speed bike riding in the future for sure, and of course, it would be tremendous fun to ride one around with your friends, getting dirty and having an opportunity to ride of course.

So, I guess whilst they're different in many respects, there are things that you would learn that would carry over for when your ready to ride on the road, and you'd have a bloody good laugh at moderate speeds.

Hope that helps.

Bullet

Hey Trixie,

Just take a look at the number of world class riders who either have backgrounds in dirt riding, or do it as a form of cross training. Certainly a great way to improve your skills.

For what it's worth, I often use the dirtbike to play around with stuff. The lack of traction seems to amplify the result of a change in technique (good or bad).

I've found the principles in Twist of the Wrist II apply to dirt riding in many ways too. The application of some techniques varies a bit (for example the body position like Bullet mentioned), but I found I could read a section of the book, then go play with it in the dirt, and straight away get a feel for what Keith was talking about.

In short - Go for it!