Planning A Track Day

I've done several track days this year and feel like I'm making some progress. One thing I haven't done is make some plan like "I'm going to do this drill and that drill" etc. Do people do that!? I have another track day on Sep 5 or 6 so I'm thinking of what to work on next. I have been working on throttle, vision and BP issues in general.

You can answer your own question. You need to have a plan or some way to approach obstacles to your riding. Ride what ever gets you there.

I've done several track days this year and feel like I'm making some progress. One thing I haven't done is make some plan like "I'm going to do this drill and that drill" etc. Do people do that!? I have another track day on Sep 5 or 6 so I'm thinking of what to work on next. I have been working on throttle, vision and BP issues in general.

Every time I go to the track I have an idea of a few drills I want to work on throughout the day, if its a sessioned day I usually stick to the light brakes and 2 gears for the first session and play around with lines a bit just to get a feel for the track,

There are 3 things I have to keep in check throughout the day to keep my riding smooth,

1/ Relax, I have a bad tendency to tense my upper body for no particular reason.

2/ Keep my visuals flowing and head up, L2 was a huge leap forward in my riding ability and apart from the obvious benifits of good visual skills, if practiced correctly it seems to sort out my first problem of relaxing!

3/ Throttle control rule #1, this is everything to me, if I fail to follow it then as far as I'm concerned I've blown that corner, there is not another technique that can compensate for bad TC,

So when I go out on track, these 3 things are priority, on top of that the night before a track day I usually pick 1 or 2 things from my level drill books, they have page references to what sections of the twist books are relevant to them, so I have a read over them and then go out on track with it clear in my mind what I want to work on!

Track time is expensive for me and usually involves a fair amount of travelling so I feel that every time I get on track I should aim to improve!

Every time I go to the track I have an idea of a few drills I want to work on throughout the day...

I should be more organized a bit but in reading other material here I think my weak spot right now is the quick turn. But I also just realized why I'm holding back on the quick turn- being still in the beginning group, I'm nervous about doing something quick and running into someone else. I always make an effort to behave predictably so as to not cause problems and tangling up with other guys, and I've equated predictability with being slow and gradual in corners.

Stevo,

Hey Man! Come down pit lane and wait for the traffic to clear so you can work on the drills you want in the corner you want. I used to do this when I was in intermediate class.

Stevo,

Hey Man! Come down pit lane and wait for the traffic to clear so you can work on the drills you want in the corner you want. I used to do this when I was in intermediate class.

That's a good idea, I almost did that last track day but I have to get over the idea of giving up time, even a minute. But yes, I should be getting "quality time"!

Every time I go to the track I have an idea of a few drills I want to work on throughout the day...

I should be more organized a bit but in reading other material here I think my weak spot right now is the quick turn. But I also just realized why I'm holding back on the quick turn- being still in the beginning group, I'm nervous about doing something quick and running into someone else. I always make an effort to behave predictably so as to not cause problems and tangling up with other guys, and I've equated predictability with being slow and gradual in corners.

Just a thought here stevo but wouldn't one positive quick turn for each corner be more predictable? If you were behind a slower rider looking for a way past how would you prefer them to ride?

Just a thought here stevo but wouldn't one positive quick turn for each corner be more predictable? If you were behind a slower rider looking for a way past how would you prefer them to ride?

Good point- yes that would be my preference. My worry may not really be justified, I've had a few people dive underneath me but not anyone cut in front of me. I'm not sure it's a real problem- I don't know that people are right there behind me- I could be out there all in my own space but I've made it a habit not to go looking around before I turn.

Hey Stevo...

Well definitely DONT worry about whoever is behind you...pretty much on track days the passer HAS to make sure the pass is ok....you should just concentrate on what is in front..

Sounds like you are working on good things..

Quick turns is good...or just working on hitting all your TPs perfectly...maybe pick one or two turns to try you QTs and make sure you hit your points right where you want to...

have fun!