Helmets--how Well Do You See Out Of Yours?

Cobie;

Having smacked more than one Helmet on the track the question I have is does the extra foam installed inside change the position of the helmet on your head? I found some real comfort in the way my Suomys protected my bouncing head (at least I think it did) in my get offs so that would be a concern. Having said that, there is no question that at full tuck it is hard to see way up the track without turning my head sideways.

Rainman

Rainman,

For sure it changes the position. I'm not a helmet rep, so only my opinion on this. A little extra foam I wouldn't think would be an issue, and the little bit of position change (as a trade off for actually being able to see) I'd think worth it. Heads are all built different, helmets that many find perfect to wear, don't work for me at all, like the last time I tried an Arai on--wrong shape for my head (sure it could be adjusted though). In fact, Arai often has a display at the big races and I think they do customize the fit. Next time I see them, I'm going to see what they do to alter the fit.

CF

Yes, but the foam that you suggested to put inside really helped. I placed two layers of it and it's fine now. I think my helmet size is not right for me. I have a scorpion exo-1000 (Large). I put on an Arai medium one time when I was window shopping and it was perfect. So I think it's the size of my helmet.

Patrick,

Go to each company's website for their sizing charts and then measure your head (they tell you where their measurements were taken, i.e. above the eyebrows and ears). Each company can vary completely. I bought my 10 year old son an extra small from AFX and I can wear it! Then I bought an AGV in medium for myself and it fits perfectly. (I guess my son can grow into it!). Also, read their instructions on fit, then go try them on before you buy one. They all generally recommend a snug fit with no lateral movement (the helmet and your scalp and skin should move together), its strange at first, but you don't want your lid coming off in a get off!

For sure it changes the position. I'm not a helmet rep, so only my opinion on this. A little extra foam I wouldn't think would be an issue, and the little bit of position change (as a trade off for actually being able to see) I'd think worth it.

Aha! now we know why Simoncelli keeps his hair long :lol:

For sure it changes the position. I'm not a helmet rep, so only my opinion on this. A little extra foam I wouldn't think would be an issue, and the little bit of position change (as a trade off for actually being able to see) I'd think worth it.

Aha! now we know why Simoncelli keeps his hair long :lol:

Did I already say this--has anyone noticed how Rossi's helmet fits him, how it sits on his head?

CF

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm, interesting. I also have the problem with my helmet sliding forward when I am low on my bike, effectively not allowing me to see as much as I would like and slowing me down around corner.

The back of my helmet hits the hump on the back of my leathers pushing the over my eyes. I don’t see why the designers are not able to remedy this problem, by either opening the top of the visor area more or contouring the back of the helmet more or both.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of adding foam into the top of my helmet. Sounds like a simple but effective way around it.

I will be going out to buy foam now.

The back of my helmet hits the hump on the back of my leathers pushing the over my eyes. I don’t see why the designers are not able to remedy this problem, by either opening the top of the visor area more or contouring the back of the helmet more or both.

JLY;

It sounds like your helmet is too big! Mine does not move at all (at least not that I can detect) and when I rode with ones that did I found it terribly unnerving.

Rainman

I never noticed anything wrong with my Shoei X-11 until I applied the hook turn in the bowl at NJMP's Lightning course. I must have been employing the technique correctly because as I neared the exit/second apex I had a serious hard time seeing anything but asphalt! I am going to try something that allows me better vision at my next event.

• 3 months later...

Did I already say this--has anyone noticed how Rossi's helmet fits him, how it sits on his head?

CF

There's a lot of his forehead showing...? Is that basically what you're getting at?

• 2 weeks later...

I had this exact problem (Shoei RF1000) at the CSS at Thunderbolt last week. They had foam for me to try and it made a HUGE difference. Hard to pick reference points when you can't see them!

Here is a good shot of Rossi with his forehead showing.

82011805_10_m.jpg

• 1 year later...

This simple tip has improved my riding experience...I'm not looking at the top-inside of my helmet anymore!!!I The increased visibility has improved my sense-of-speed and identifying reference points while riding through tight/technical corners. It took me a few days to get used to the new material while the foam-blocks broke down a bit...but its been great in my Shoei and AGV lids. I'm Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to say thanks.

Cheers,

Majdi

This simple tip has improved my riding experience...I'm not looking at the top-inside of my helmet anymore!!!I The increased visibility has improved my sense-of-speed and identifying reference points while riding through tight/technical corners. It took me a few days to get used to the new material while the foam-blocks broke down a bit...but its been great in my Shoei and AGV lids. I'm Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to say thanks.

Cheers,

Majdi

Glad to hear it and sure don't mind keeping this in view :).

We had some real success with this at the last school: a very experienced student was suggested this, and he was stunned at the difference. One thing we have noticed is it is often the "cause" for poor body position.

CF

Ah, this is an interesting topic.

Now that it's mentioned - I do recall seeing lots of racers with their chins very prominently showing out the bottom of the helmet... (helmet tilted backwards on their heads).

It's something I've always been mindful of, so I've never had a problem with the helmet... But how far does everyone tuck down? How close is your chin to the top of the tank, does your helmet go down into the little cutout area on the top of the tank? I don't usually tuck down as far as possible because I found it was just a lot of effort! Add to that the fact that the bottom half (or more) of my vision would be obscured by the bottom of the screen - made things kinda scary. :lol: So I just stick with a 'comfortable tuck' most of the time now, chin/bottom of helmet maybe 10-15cm from the tank.

I never even considered tilting my head while tucked (thank goodness!) - that would be a bit confusing wouldn't it!? :blink: I bet the people who were doing that sure were glad to find a fix for their vision.