Personal Insurance

I've never thought about this before, but now with more life responsibilities I cringe at the thought that some insurance agent may tell my wife, "Sorry, racing motorcycles is a policy exclusion". I don't expect anything to happen, but I have my other paperwork in order just in case it does. Is there somewhere I can buy special insurance that would cover me if the unforseen should happen while at a trackday, school or even if I decide to race someday?

Personal experience:

About 2 years ago, I was in a discussion on another forum about motorcycle coverage during trackdays and called my insurance company to verify. A few days later there was a cancellation notice in my mailbox because of the misunderstanding that the general population has of trackdays, et al. After a bit of distressful discussion 2 months later, I was able to get the matter corrected but it was a lesson nonetheless on the choice of words.

I see it all day every day I work. Your best bet is to become unemployed, go on government assistance, be an illegal alien and/or get hooked on drugs. In every state I've been in will openly help you. You will receive much better, quicker care than a person who is stupid enough to work and have insurance.

I see it all day every day I work. Your best bet is to become unemployed, go on government assistance, be an illegal alien and/or get hooked on drugs. In every state I've been in will openly help you. You will receive much better, quicker care than a person who is stupid enough to work and have insurance.

Looks like Jays question got your back up there a bit Jason, I often think along similar lines as you do but then look at it this way, when you see these people you describe, the wasters of society, the druggies etc, getting a free ride with taxpayers money, its annoying but who's life would you rather have yours or theirs? and when it really gets to you, at least you have spent some of your hard earned cash on a motorbike, the #1 de-stressing machine!

a motorbike, the #1 de-stressing machine!

Bobby;

Well said...I had an opportunity to ride my Ducati 996 through the tree covered hills where I live but I missed the beautiful fall foliage because I was concentrating on my RP's for the entire ride. Once back home, I got on my restored '68 Triumph Bonneville and rode back out and at a leisurely pace and got to see all that I missed. I am still smiling inside two days later.

As to your philosophical point I share your opinion; we are fortunate indeed and having a bike to ride is an awesome de-stresser no question.

Rainman

a motorbike, the #1 de-stressing machine!

Bobby;

Well said...I had an opportunity to ride my Ducati 996 through the tree covered hills where I live but I missed the beautiful fall foliage because I was concentrating on my RP's for the entire ride. Once back home, I got on my restored '68 Triumph Bonneville and rode back out and at a leisurely pace and got to see all that I missed. I am still smiling inside two days later.

As to your philosophical point I share your opinion; we are fortunate indeed and having a bike to ride is an awesome de-stresser no question.

Rainman

That sounds ace man, pootling along on that old lady....! ;)

Bullet

You guys are hilarious. But all kidding aside, I've heard that Medivac at Pocono can run 5 digits!!! How many of us know for CERTAIN that our insurance companies would pickup the tab? How many of us can afford a lawyer to fight insurance company lawyers? Wouldn't it make sense to have a policy that specifies trackdays and other closed course motorcycle activities are covered? I'm not asking about the bike, I'm asking about the medical and/ or the other ugly word....life insurance.

You guys are hilarious. But all kidding aside, I've heard that Medivac at Pocono can run 5 digits!!! How many of us know for CERTAIN that our insurance companies would pickup the tab? How many of us can afford a lawyer to fight insurance company lawyers? Wouldn't it make sense to have a policy that specifies trackdays and other closed course motorcycle activities are covered? I'm not asking about the bike, I'm asking about the medical and/ or the other ugly word....life insurance.

JB;

We had a dialogue up here about two years ago when a student crashed out on the second day of a two day camp and posted an inquiry on the Forum for any information on what happened. I was the head Corner Worker that day and we were able to tell him what the CW in that turn observed. We subsequently learned about his pending issue with this health insurance carrier because he was air lifted out of Pocono after the crash. He never told us if they paid or not but I seem to remember him telling us it was around 27K for the trip and his time in the ER.

Fortunately he was OK but you bring up a good question about coverage. I don't know the answer but hopefully someone who does know about medical/life insurance can chime in here. With the size of the membership here somebody has to know that answer.

Rainman