Conflicting Info. Or Things Have Moved On?

pbrown

I've just been flicking thru' Soft Science & noticed a few things that don't seem to gel with what I was being taught on L1 so thought I would ask the question.

Using the 'World plan' seems to suggests that you make small steering & throttle changes in the mid part of the turn whereas I thought I was supposed to only make 1 steering input at the beginning of the turn & constant acceleration all the way thru' the turn untill I was able to get on the gas fully so which is right or have I missed the point?

Soft science also mentions about being on the throttle as soon as youve finished braking & I thought suggested that your on it prior to turning to off load some of the weight from the front tyre. I remember being told that you shut the throttle prior to turning to weight the front & to get back on the throttle as soon as you had finished the turning input?

Am I reading too much into this or do things change when your getting up to racing speed? All the question sessions in Soft science make me realize that I need to do a lot more thinking, sampling & remembering if I want to improve.

PB,

I'll have to go back and have a look at what's in Soft on that point on the world plan.

Re getting back on the gas before the steering is done, have a look at this: what line will the bike take if the rider comes back on the gas before the steering is done? Will it take and hold a nice line, or run wide?

CF

PB,

I'll have to go back and have a look at what's in Soft on that point on the world plan.

Re getting back on the gas before the steering is done, have a look at this: what line will the bike take if the rider comes back on the gas before the steering is done? Will it take and hold a nice line, or run wide?

CF

CF,

The bike will want to go in a wider arc & run wide if your on the gas before finishing your turning.

Soft Science also mentioned about uping your tickover (until you got the hang of it) so the bike would be on the gas a bit & the weight transfering to the back wheel as soon as you were off the brakes.

Paul

PB,

CF

CF,

The bike will want to go in a wider arc & run wide if your on the gas before finishing your turning.

Soft Science also mentioned about uping your tickover (until you got the hang of it) so the bike would be on the gas a bit & the weight transfering to the back wheel as soon as you were off the brakes.

Paul

For sure bike will take a wider arc, and that leads to too much (unneeded) lean angle later in the turn, bad deal.

Having the idle turned up, has a few uses, but thats in the book :)

CF

Using the 'World plan' seems to suggests that you make small steering & throttle changes in the mid part of the turn whereas I thought I was supposed to only make 1 steering input at the beginning of the turn & constant acceleration all the way thru' the turn untill I was able to get on the gas fully so which is right or have I missed the point?

What is the World Plan trying to accomplish in a turn that's different from the other plans?

What is the World Plan trying to accomplish in a turn that's different from the other plans?

I thought the world plan was a combination of wide in wide out & squaring the corner off so your corner speed is higher than StC but you still get good drive out.

Yeah. So in the world plan you have to plan you have to make a mid-corner adjustment otherwise you're just following a wide-in/wide-out plan. How is that different than unplanned mid-corner adjustments or corrections?
If you do unplanned mid corner steering inputs it's SR based.

The question is not whether planned is better than unplanned.

I was trying to understand how any mid corner steering input could be reconsiled with the only 1 steering input per corner that is stated in the twist books?

Man I'm a totally newb when it comes to track and such but I'm trying to read this and its way to deep for me. I dont even think about all this stuff.

I just envision my bike doing something and it does it... ah the beauty of a Honda. :D

The only problem with reading the books & doing the schools is it makes you think. Then you come on this forum for a nice easy answer to your question & they make you start thinking again. :angry:

I never learn though because I keep asking questions. :D

Man I'm a totally newb when it comes to track and such but I'm trying to read this and its way to deep for me. I dont even think about all this stuff.

I just envision my bike doing something and it does it... ah the beauty of a Honda. :D

The only problem with reading the books & doing the schools is it makes you think. Then you come on this forum for a nice easy answer to your question & they make you start thinking again. :angry:

I never learn though because I keep asking questions. :D

Ah, but just think of the improvement you've had, and are yet to achieve enlightened one! ;) If it wasn't a challenge, it wouldn't be worth anything to you either!

Bullet

Yeah. So in the world plan you have to plan you have to make a mid-corner adjustment otherwise you're just following a wide-in/wide-out plan. How is that different than unplanned mid-corner adjustments or corrections?
If you do unplanned mid corner steering inputs it's SR based.

The question is not whether planned is better than unplanned.

I was trying to understand how any mid corner steering input could be reconsiled with the only 1 steering input per corner that is stated in the twist books?

Ah good, just making sure. That's it. SR vs. deliberate thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Back to this one again. I thought you had already modified the wide in wide out plan by turning later in the corner?

Hmmmmm... I was about to run out and buy a couple Honda's but then I thought, "If something sounds too good to be true it usually is." and decided to watch MotoGP DVDs instead. I confess: I do own a Honda, and I love it, but if I could envision it to go faster I'd be racing GP instead of watching it on the tube.

By the way Lazarus, I picked up on a bit of sarcasm (I think) and it inspired me to answer in kind, so thanks man!

Hmm... sounds like there's something missing here. Is the world plan always to use mid-corner adjustments? Or is there a bit more too it?
Not sure I understand the Q. I only skim read the book maybe I need to reread it to understand what your asking.

Well, actually you answered my question. You might want to read, not skim, the World Plan. There's a bit more to it.