The Best Thing You Learned At The School

stuman

I spoke with a friend at the track today, who was actually at the school the same day I was, and he said the best thing he learned was during level 3 keeping his legs into the tank any time he's changing his BP. I've never even heard of this, and will have to work on it.

I spoke with a friend at the track today, who was actually at the school the same day I was, and he said the best thing he learned was during level 3 keeping his legs into the tank any time he's changing his BP. I've never even heard of this, and will have to work on it.

Jason;

I don't know if you plan on taking Level III but if so I would encourage you to wait until you do before working on something that is a bit more complicated than just "keeping (your) legs into the tank any time (you're) changing (your) BP". Level III is focused on a series of drills that all address BP including how and when you lock into the tank but if you try and pick this on your own my bet is that you will need to unlearn it before you can actually learn how to do it correctly.

The first time I took Level III I remember how sore my legs were by the end of the day and there was nothing intuitative about what I learned. I do know that my own feeble attempts to teach myself body position were so wrong that once I was shown the different pieces that go into BP and movement on the bike it became so much easier to manuever the bike at all types of speed and different types of corners but especially esses and linked corners.

It's just one guys opinion.

Rainman

Hi Jason

I have the same opinion as Kevin on this one, wait for level 3 and you will get what you need, the reason you have never heard of the "keeping his legs into the tank any time he's changing his BP" drill is because it would be more likely to be called the knee to knee, some riders do it naturally and some have a massive gap between there legs when moving across the bike! The point is if you practice this incorrect now it could cause problems as your riding progresses!

Bobby

Best thing I learned: DO NOT PANIC. This allows the rider to recover from mistakes without trigerring SRs.

You could've learned that by just by picking up "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. Much cheaper that way, and hilarious if you like the British humour ;)

Kai

Hi Jason

I have the same opinion as Kevin on this one, wait for level 3 and you will get what you need, the reason you have never heard of the "keeping his legs into the tank any time he's changing his BP" drill is because it would be more likely to be called the knee to knee, some riders do it naturally and some have a massive gap between there legs when moving across the bike! The point is if you practice this incorrect now it could cause problems as your riding progresses!

Bobby

+1 on that. While I can move around tirelessly on my Honda, it's obvious that I am missing something because tying it on the Kawi WORE ME OUT!

You could've learned that by just by picking up "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. Much cheaper that way, and hilarious if you like the British humour ;)

Kai

I'm gonna vote "no" on this one. After discussion about a year ago on this with some egghead colleagues, I tried getting through the movie...OMG! I couldn't do it. I like Benny Hill and Austin Powers, but I just couldn't do that movie. LOL (and yes, I know there's a book also).

Best thing I learned: DO NOT PANIC. This allows the rider to recover from mistakes without trigerring SRs.

Kai

Cheaper maybe, as effective ~ NO. The way Keith put it: Ever see a pro rider try to regain control of his bike only to fall off, after which the riderless bike recovers and continues down the track? No SR inputs - LOL

Kai

Cheaper maybe, as effective ~ NO. The way Keith put it: Ever see a pro rider try to regain control of his bike only to fall off, after which the riderless bike recovers and continues down the track? No SR inputs - LOL

Note for next trackday, Be a passenger on a riderless bike!

Preferably someone else's riderless bike!

Hi Jason

Bobby

He couldn't remember the name. Pretty easy name. We watched riders in a quick turn, and not one person was doing it, from Beginner to Advanced.

Hi Jason

Bobby

He couldn't remember the name. Pretty easy name. We watched riders in a quick turn, and not one person was doing it, from Beginner to Advanced.

If you watch riders in a quick turn they should be locked onto one side of the bike, to see someone doing knee to knee you would have to watch at a section where they have a change of direction i.e. leaning one direction to the other direction, this technique leads on to the hip flick in quicker direction changes!

Bobby