Quick Turn - Can It Be Too "snappy"?

BLSJDS

Hi Kai, that's PRETTY MUCH what I need to learn now!! i'll register this week. I didn't register for the classes because I was thinking I know all that and just want to learn how to slide the rear and/or front tire(s). . how funny... yesterday i understood that i know nothing. by the way, i did manage to keep up with those guys today on unfamiliar roads to them and to me. but i certainly realized that i simply do not know the basic things. this is a very serious forum. i'm happy i eventually found the right place to learn.

Hi, YNOT. I watched the DVD yesterday night. Watching it again cleared out some things for me. I freaked out and was frustrated yesterday after a ride with my buddies. One of them has ridden for 3 weeks only. I couldn't catch up with them. I was riding the same twisties alone today, and i felt more confident. how? well, i watched some part of the TW on DVD, read the chapter dealing with QT, followed the advice of Crash106 by following the yellow line on highway and then white line. It was very intimidating at first. One of the reason I couldn't have enough nerves yesterday to quick turn my bike was because:

- I was starting right from the middle of the lane. I was too scary to get closer to the white line and go farther into the corner.

- I was trying to keep countersteering AFTER I flicked the bike over.

- Oncoming traffic

- Unfamiliar with the road

- Trying to hang-off at almost every turn (just because I didn't know what to expect from the turn)

There are still MANY, MANY things too unclear for me, but I will need to sort them out for myself first.

YNOT, you've done levels 1 - 2. can you please tell me what exactly they teach at level 1 ??

thanks guys

Amid,

Its best you learn these things on the track. Personally I don't do the QT, knee on the ground, hanging off when I am riding on the street. On the street I practice visuals and throttle control, minor stuff.

You have realized that your actions/reactions are fear based, and not understanding the basics. Keith said our instincts and normal reactions are counter-intuitive to motorcycle riding.

Level 1 is an eye opener for sure. They teach you throttle control.... how to judge your corner entry speed...

Amid - don't try to sort it out yourself...get professional help... I see you've signed up for level 1. Good for you.

Kai,

Pretty good description!

I also liked the comment "get professional help" above, cracked me up!

CF