What's The Reason You Ride?

Yes, it has been very interesting to read (and hopefully we're not done yet!).

For me, however, the smells and the extra visibility etc. offered while riding over driving are bonuses and not the reason for my riding. But the good thing about this topic and the varied responses is that it shows just how different we are as individuals, despite finding a common denominator in motorcycles. And that we are different is a particularly good thing - imagine if everybody wanted to be hair dressers and nobody would perform anything else blink.giflaugh.gif

I have PTSD, and it takes intensity to focus me. Small "thrills" like rollercoasters, and other various forms of controlled wild times bore me. The more intense, the more focused I am. I'm an ER nurse for a living to boot.

Once I realised there was a real technology to riding (interesting twist of fate that saw me at a Superbike School becuase my road license was suspended for being a squid), my motivation for doing it switched to one of progressing my understanding and application of it. I didn't choose to make that switch, but all of a sudden the progression became a source of fascination. That's still the case today. "How deep does the rabbit hole go?" kinda thing.

Most enjoyable part - When your mind falls silent, and there's no thoughts or worries taking any attention. Just you and your senses.

100% Adam. I could not have put this any better myself.

I have been a 'Lurker' here for a long time now, and Cobie, this has finally made me get my A into G and register!

I read TOTW 1 years ago. Who could have believed that doing something I loved doing anyway, actually had a science behind it?

That has also been the true discovery.

Reading, applying and trying to master the techniques is what makes motorcycling a thirst of enjoyment for me.

If I could put it into one word, it would be, Oneness (if there is such a word!).

Being at one with your senses, as Adam mentions, the bike, the environment (road and surroundings) is something that you cannot describe to someone who doesn't 'get it'.

I've read all the books (well most of them) seen the videos, read the threads here, and are still absorbing all I can. And I can't get enough.

It's a passion.

It's a passion.

Invariably that sums it all up. Guess that's why we're often referred to as motorcycle enthusiasts. Glad you signed in, welcome! And yes Oneness is a word. ;)

amid.aim : That's possibly a side effect of adrenaline and likely didnt heal your dental issue, so expect to be visiting a dentist. :P

Hey whats up guys another lurker here,

Well my first experiance on a motorcycle was riding 2 up on a friends cbr600 while i was stationed in Germany for two years between 2003-2005 while in the Air Force. My friend took me out for a quick ride around some back roads just so i could see what it was like, right at that moment I was hooked. I think i fell for the open feeling that you cant get from a car. It took me a while to get my first bike though didnt get it untill 2009 and i was so glad i did. Took css level 1 in May at Thunderbolt and cant wait to go back in September for level 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm going to have a hard time capturing what I get out of riding, I think Adam and Hotfoot got some of it for me. Somehow the man(woman)/machine relationship is tied in there for sure. I have never had an attachment to a car like I do my bikes. I certainly have talked to others of the magic of a sinuous piece of pavement whether it be track or road. One of the strongest experiences I have had, have interestingly been while touring. Once on a deserted prairie provincial highway early in the morning I was treated to the site of the sun rising over the top of a low lying bank of fog as I was just about to drop down the escarpment. It was as though I was Icarus about to ride into the sun on a bank of clouds. That was in my third year of riding and it all hit me there why we do it. Another time on a ride up the pacific coast after WSB at Laguna, I had the joy of riding up and down into 3 separate valleys, the first assaulting my nose with the scents of artichokes, the second with strawberries and the third with vinyards. In a cage the event would have never been the same. I can remember that day like it was yesterday!

mileage to performance ratio

Good one!

the inner monologue in my head just turns off when on the bike (idiot never shuts up otherwise).

I so relate to that! Nice quote! Unfortunately for me these days the inner monologue often manages to take over on easy rides, but if I'm challenging myself, that chatty part of my brain finally does go away.

I would add:

- It's just fun. Even after 12 years I still find new rides that just make me laugh!

- There are a lot of different ways to challenge yourself - curvy road, track day, tough trail, racing, onroad, offroad, dual sport, etc etc etc!

- It can be adventurous and majestic, as in cross country rides.

- Driving make me sleepy, riding never does.

• 4 weeks later...