Paralysed Rider Gets Race Licence

Hi, wanted to share the good news with you. Last Friday I headed up to Darley Moor for my 'on-bike' assessment to get my race licence. The stabilisers worked on the bike in the paddock area, but then failed on the track as I lined up on the start grid. We took them off, as they were damaged in the ensuing topple, as no one was nearby to catch me, and then I headed out with one of the instructors for my riding assessment. Thanks to everything I was taught on levels 1 and 2 at CSS, I was able to identify RP's within two laps and then led the instructor for a further 5 laps. He commented that the lines were spot on, my vision was always ahead, I got on the throttle evenly throughout the corner and riding was smooth. After a discussion with the ACU (Auto Cycle Union) representative, they have give me the green light to race, once I have the stabilisers fixed. This is the first time in the ACU history that a paraplegic has been awarded a solo motorcycle race licence.

I hope this message gets out to other bikers who are paralysed and think that riding is not available to them, as it's not. If they want to know more, please pm me and I can pass on my contact details. I am aiming to do my first race on 4th September at Castle Combe, as it is a local circuit and I know the staff plus track well.

Before I do the race I'll be doing Level 4 with CSS, so I'll be in even better shape to race.

Thanks once again CSS, you are helping to change lives and make history happen.

Talan

Very impressive Talan, It goes to show that if you want something enough, it is always possible to achieve your goals no matter what. I wish you all the best with your racing.

Bobby

Congratulations cool.gif Very, very impressive! Would it be rude to ask how you got hurt?

Hi Eirik, many thanks for the message. I was knocked off my CBR600 and thrown under the on-coming traffic. Car wheel hit me in-between the shoulder blades shattering T4 and T5 severing the spinal cord. Then as I went under the wheels the weight broke my ribs puncturing the left lung. I was dragged down the road under the car by my helmet and broke C6 and C7 but fortunate not to have any nerve damage (1mm more movement and I'd be paralysed from the neck down). Finally came out from underneath the car and felt a bit winded! Lasted 20minutes before losing consciousness due to bleeding into right lung. Was given 30% chance of survival and expected to be in hospital for 2 years. Left hospital after 7 months - food was ###### and there were no decent looking nurses!!

Just booked Level 4 for August 18th at Silverstone, so very excited about it already and re-reading Twist of Wrist II plus watching video. Yippee.

Talan,

Congrats on your license!!!! And, although you've probably heard -and possibly disagree-, you are an inspiration. I'd love to say: I see ya out there (and stuff ya :lol:); but 2 things prevent that.... first, I'm still too slow to race [for now] and second I think the ACU is in the UK. :P:lol:

Good luck, man. B)

Hi, wanted to share the good news with you. Last Friday I headed up to Darley Moor for my 'on-bike' assessment to get my race licence. The stabilisers worked on the bike in the paddock area, but then failed on the track as I lined up on the start grid. We took them off, as they were damaged in the ensuing topple, as no one was nearby to catch me, and then I headed out with one of the instructors for my riding assessment. Thanks to everything I was taught on levels 1 and 2 at CSS, I was able to identify RP's within two laps and then led the instructor for a further 5 laps. He commented that the lines were spot on, my vision was always ahead, I got on the throttle evenly throughout the corner and riding was smooth. After a discussion with the ACU (Auto Cycle Union) representative, they have give me the green light to race, once I have the stabilisers fixed. This is the first time in the ACU history that a paraplegic has been awarded a solo motorcycle race licence.

I hope this message gets out to other bikers who are paralysed and think that riding is not available to them, as it's not. If they want to know more, please pm me and I can pass on my contact details. I am aiming to do my first race on 4th September at Castle Combe, as it is a local circuit and I know the staff plus track well.

Before I do the race I'll be doing Level 4 with CSS, so I'll be in even better shape to race.

Talan

Talan, Congratulations for your accomplishment. Best wishes and more power to you.

Keep it safe.

The Razor

Talan

Talan,

What a great accomplishment, congratulations. I race with WERA and know two guys that have overcome disability to do what they love. One lost an arm and is amputated at the shoulder an one has an arm but has to use a prothesis to hold on to the bar. There is also a guy that rides NESBA track days who is paraplegic and has an assist mechanism for getting on the bike in the paddock.

I have always felt a sense of accomplishment when I reach a goal in riding or racing but to see what you and others have done to accomplish your goals just makes me want to work that much harder, to pull from deep inside to make things happen. You definitely have the will. I have been in the situation while training to stop at 19 instead of 20, to set the timer for 40 minutes instead of 45, set the weight a little lower today because I feel puny. No more! Thanks for being an inpiration to us all.

You may not be able to use your legs but you are not paralyzed!

What a great accomplishment, congratulations. I race with WERA and know two guys that have overcome disability to do what they love. One lost an arm and is amputated at the shoulder an one has an arm but has to use a prothesis to hold on to the bar. There is also a guy that rides NESBA track days who is paraplegic and has an assist mechanism for getting on the bike in the paddock.

Talan,

Congrats from Scandinavia too.

Just to add to the list of people who has overcome disabilities to ride and race: one of the Swedish racers is a double leg-amputee (just below the knee, I believe).

Way to go!

Kai

Talan,

Outstanding, really!!

My impulse was to make a lame joke about 7 months with unsighly nurses, but I'm sure I'll get a needle in the forehead for that! And honestly been pretty impressed with the nursing care I've seen so far.

Talan,

Well done! Glad to hear you are making it happen. You've probably already seen these, but here are some links that might be of special interest to you. The first one if for LegUp Landing Gear. These are electric wheels generally used on big cruisers and touring bikes for people who have lost use of their legs. They might not have enough clearance for hard racing, but could help you get back on a street bike. There are a couple of links to some neck braces--no sense risking what movement you have left! And I put in a couple of other resources, although, it sounds like you are already all over this.

http://www.landingear.com/home.php

http://www.leatt-brace.com/

http://www.alpinestars.com/store/productdetails.aspx?productid=650009&cs=1

http://www.disabledriders.com/

http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/disbresourcelistings.asp

You were smart to get CSS training. Congrats and good luck.