Which Bike Would You Buy?

You mentioned concerns about the BMW electronics, but I thought you could turn off the traction control? Regarding the ABS, I heard through the grapevine that some of the really fast guys do remove the braking system because it gets "mushy" when ridden really, really hard, and you can't go to braided steel lines and keep the ABS because the ABS requires flex in the lines to work properly, or something like that. I do know someone who is race prepping one now and just finished changing out the whole braking system, can try to find out what he used, and what it cost, if you want. PM me on that if you're interested. I suspect that getting the BMW and modifying it any number of ways would still cost less than getting the Ducati. Also I'll mention that aforementioned racer chose the BMW, despite some loyalty to, and good success with, both Hondas and Ducatis, and the budget to get whatever he wanted.

In other words, if the electronic controls are your only negative on the BMW, maybe you can look into what it takes to shut all that off.

For what it's worth, I have ridden the BMW and I'm saving my pennies for one. I thought it was incredible, electronics and all, fantastic power and remarkably easy to ride.

You mentioned concerns about the BMW electronics, but I thought you could turn off the traction control?

In other words, if the electronic controls are your only negative on the BMW, maybe you can look into what it takes to shut all that off.

For what it's worth, I have ridden the BMW and I'm saving my pennies for one. I thought it was incredible, electronics and all, fantastic power and remarkably easy to ride.

I understand having read some of the forums, that you can turn of the TC and the ABS, however, the computer still controls how the throttlfe re-acts. for example, the throttle butterflies don't fully open until 4 seconds after you twist the grip, regardless of mode. in the lower modes, they never fully open. It reminds me a little like driving a VW car, something like a Golf GTI, you turn off the electronics, but you never do really, as they still interffere and override you. Not sure I like the idea of that?

I've no doubt with considerable effort, you can turn them all off, and I completely agree, I think BMW have done a stunning job of creating a bike so fast, so competent, and so easy to ride, its very impressive. but, to coin a phrase, "the best things in life are worth working for", so I'm more interested in challenging, rather than easy.

Bullet

The only literbike I've really ridden is the Yamaha R1. Piddled around on a few, but actually got on the R1's and ridden them. It's a little short on the HP compared to the other bikes, but I'm telling you, I don't know how many times I had to check to make sure the '09 R1 wasn't an R6. Perfectly balanced, quick, good enough on power. Beautiful bike. I'd happily put my money into an '09 R1 without even checking into the other ones.

I actually ride an R1 a lot Jason, as we use Yamaha's in the UK. The new R1 has a lovely engine, makes a great noise, and has the best throttle to engine feel I've ever experienced, it's sublime, it really is. Couple of areas where the "Standard" R1 isn't so good, is the looks, (not really a beauty), the size of those rear cans, my god, they're enormous (though I'd be junking them), and the suspension, esepcially the rear shock, which is appauling under hard use (well, under my severe ass weight), though again, I'd be junking that as well. Final piece as you can see from the figures, it's not very ripsnortingly fast. It's not slow either, but I rode my R1 very hard against that endurance racer I was speaking of earlier, and got smoked for dead down the straights, so badly, it wasn't funny and had to really stick my neck out a bit to work with my student.

I'm hopeful they'll address some of these issues, though with Yamaha having a bad time commercially at the moment, I doubt we'll see a new R1 in 2011. Now if they could just make it as amazing as the R6 is, (i.e. clinical, sharp weapon out of the box), I'd be very happy man indeed.

Bullet

The only literbike I've really ridden is the Yamaha R1. Piddled around on a few, but actually got on the R1's and ridden them. It's a little short on the HP compared to the other bikes, but I'm telling you, I don't know how many times I had to check to make sure the '09 R1 wasn't an R6. Perfectly balanced, quick, good enough on power. Beautiful bike. I'd happily put my money into an '09 R1 without even checking into the other ones.

I actually ride an R1 a lot Jason, as we use Yamaha's in the UK. The new R1 has a lovely engine, makes a great noise, and has the best throttle to engine feel I've ever experienced, it's sublime, it really is. Couple of areas where the "Standard" R1 isn't so good, is the looks, (not really a beauty), the size of those rear cans, my god, they're enormous (though I'd be junking them), and the suspension, esepcially the rear shock, which is appauling under hard use (well, under my severe ass weight), though again, I'd be junking that as well. Final piece as you can see from the figures, it's not very ripsnortingly fast. It's not slow either, but I rode my R1 very hard against that endurance racer I was speaking of earlier, and got smoked for dead down the straights, so badly, it wasn't funny and had to really stick my neck out a bit to work with my student.

I'm hopeful they'll address some of these issues, though with Yamaha having a bad time commercially at the moment, I doubt we'll see a new R1 in 2011. Now if they could just make it as amazing as the R6 is, (i.e. clinical, sharp weapon out of the box), I'd be very happy man indeed.

Bullet

So, despite my best attempts not to buy a bike until the new year, it seems fate has conspired against me, and a tremendous opportunity to burn some cash has come my way, a bike to good to turn away, and one that I know the owner of very well, (he's a CSS student), so I've done the deal, agreed the terms, and bought myself a new bike. Probably won't get much chance to ride it this year, as I won't be actually getting it for about 5-6 weeks, but it'll be all ready and shiny for 2011.

It's going to a be a fun season for sure. Oh, and for those that probably were in any doubt as to what got me..... it's red, and italian. wink.gif

Bullet

It's going to a be a fun season for sure. Oh, and for those that probably were in any doubt as to what got me..... it's red, and italian. wink.gif

In spite of the best of my warnings against the Italian ladies: congrats on your new bike, may your new mistress serve you well.

Kai

So, despite my best attempts not to buy a bike until the new year, it seems fate has conspired against me, and a tremendous opportunity to burn some cash has come my way, a bike to good to turn away, and one that I know the owner of very well, (he's a CSS student), so I've done the deal, agreed the terms, and bought myself a new bike. Probably won't get much chance to ride it this year, as I won't be actually getting it for about 5-6 weeks, but it'll be all ready and shiny for 2011.

Bullet

GOOD STUFF!!!! Is it a Ferrari ????? :D

GOOD STUFF!!!! Is it a Ferrari ????? biggrin.gif

God I'd so love one of them, bu alas not. Cars were my first love mate, I've wasted (read enjoyed), more money on them things than I really care to think about over the years, it's frankly not funny.

Should be getting it in a few weeks time, doubt I'll ride it much this year, but that'll give me time to make a few adjustments. (Cough). Just don't tell the wife.. LOL

Bullet

In spite of the best of my warnings against the Italian ladies: congrats on your new bike, may your new mistress serve you well.

Kai

I know, I know. What can I say, I'm easily swayed. Allow me to explain myself though, (I realise you're always onto a looser when you have to justify, but hey ho), and tell you I've not bought a standard one, it's got all the modifications I'd want as part of the deal, it's got the obligatory Termi's, though you only get Cans as standard, the 70MM system is extra (and it has it), race pattern rearsets, quickshifter, race and road fairings, upgraded clutch and master cylinders with flip up levers, quick action throttle, double bubble, Race seat and many others. 1500 miles, all for just a little over the price of a new 1198S, how could i say no...? rolleyes.gif Some might even call it a bargain... LOL (though I expect the relationship with the dealership begins here).

My wifes initial reaction was, dont' ever drop it, ever, please. (oh yeah love, it'll never happen, honestly). wink.gif

Bullet

Kai

I know, I know. What can I say, I'm easily swayed. Allow me to explain myself though, (I realise you're always onto a looser when you have to justify, but hey ho), and tell you I've not bought a standard one, it's got all the modifications I'd want as part of the deal, it's got the obligatory Termi's, though you only get Cans as standard, the 70MM system is extra (and it has it), race pattern rearsets, quickshifter, race and road fairings, upgraded clutch and master cylinders with flip up levers, quick action throttle, double bubble, Race seat and many others. 1500 miles, all for just a little over the price of a new 1198S, how could i say no...? rolleyes.gif Some might even call it a bargain... LOL (though I expect the relationship with the dealership begins here).

My wifes initial reaction was, dont' ever drop it, ever, please. (oh yeah love, it'll never happen, honestly). wink.gif

Bullet

Congratulations....My fellow Ducatista!