World's Best Road?

This is my Nirvana. Not many roads like this, but there are a few that are only a little less gnarly that also brings a huge grin on my mug cool.gif

Note how much steering into the corners that goes on.

Awesome road. I remember riding up the Lysebotn road about ten years ago - I tried to count the number of hairpins, but lost count at least twice. The hairpin inside the mountain is - ahem - "interesting". Especially when you meet a tourist bus going the other direction.

If I should pick a number of "favourite" roads in Norway, Lysebotn would definitely be high on that list, along with going up/down to Geiranger (both sides) and Valdresflya (the pass over Valdres - quite a different type of road). Trollstigen as failed to impress me the couple of times I rode it.

Eirik, since you live in the neighbourhood, have you ever tried the road from E133 to Sauda (Rv 520)? Not as steep as Lysebotn, but plenty of elevation changes and turns over a distance of 40km!

I would love to try the Tail of the Dragon, but that will require a bit of logistics, since "bring your own" is really not an option (can you even rent a sports bike in the US? - [rhetorical question]).

Kai

It depends on when you stop counting hairpins smile.gif but 32-35 is the usual count.

We rode Valdresflya in mid June 2005 - and there was still snow reaching up to 4 metres above us lining the road. Yes, it was cold. And not much to see since everything was white. We sat mostly closer to twice to the speed limit just to get it done with.

I've only taken the road once that you mention to Sauda, on an old KZ400 twin. Yes, it is also fantastic, but more open. I would imagine most racers will prefer corners that are more open and allow for more speed and more fluid riding.

I agree about Trollstigen, but hitting 100 mph on the straights makes it a little more fun. Particularly when dodging slow campers and huge potholes biggrin.gif

Geiranger carries a spell for me. I've tried to reach it 4 times, and still no luck. First time, we headed east from Röldal because - despite this being mid-june - there was a snowstorm going on in the mountains we had to cross to get there. Heading east we instead had excellent weather and up to 27C cool.gif

Another time we actually dug out the snow beside the closed gate with a fallen tree as a ram in order to squeeze our bikes past. The snow had melted from the road, but two miles in the snow was literally reaching up to the saddle and we struggled for 20 minutes just to turn the bikes around. This was the end of May, although the weather was brilliant the road hadn't been opened due to too much snow up high.

And one time my bike broke down. The last time we tried the road was free from snow but still closed in the midst of June due to a snowcap hanging up in the mountain that could fall o the road.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would love to try the Tail of the Dragon, but that will require a bit of logistics, since "bring your own" is really not an option (can you even rent a sports bike in the US? - [rhetorical question]).

Kai

OK Kai,

Here is a video from the "Dragon" I shot in September my first time there, riding the RC45. This is on the 2nd day, I believe. And, yes, you can rent sport bikes in the area to ride the dragon!

http://vimeo.com/17041463

Thanks cool.gif Is the road really that bad, or is it the camera mount that rattle extra?

The road is more than bad!!!!ohmy.gif, but it adds a extra degree of complexity...I have notice that all the guys around here riding those rodes have developed a very good periperal vision and fast reflexes...wink.gif Adding and extra comment...While doing Level 1,2,3 at Willow..some guys where complaining about some little bumps...I was LOL about that...for me was like traveling in a Japanesse High Speed Magnet Train...tongue.gif

Regards,

Hector

• 1 month later...

Another great road, hwy-36 in northern california, located off I-5 in Redbluff. Two miles of I-5 thru a little town called Redbluff, you start on hwy-36, there first sidgh you come to says "Next 144 miles" with a big S- above it. 144 miles of rolling roads, big sweepers, tight turns of varying elevation, climbs to about 3,000ft , goes thru goes thru redwood groves, then to Pacific Ocean, head south to "Avenue of the Giants" driving thru some of the tallest trees in the world. Best of all you'll see maybe 12 cars in 144 miles. G-

you need at least one aussie rd

not my video and it was better before the fires when it was still forest.

Linkie not woikin' fer me - just get a black screen and no movie ever loading. This is from the Black Spur, which seems like a really nice piece of tarmac cool.gifhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKk19zLO4Bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKk19zLO4Bg

Reefton looks like you never know when you'll slide out on a patch of dirt if you go hard blink.gif The music was horrible, even worse than the dirt patches mad.gif

Both Reefton and Kingslake consists of corners that are far too open for my taste; I prefer hairpins and tight corners like seen on the Black Spur video. Pity about the police and traffic, but roads like that here in Norway are usually little used - as long as you stay away from the most famous tourist roads in the peak of summer, at least.

This is a short clip of a local road that is somewhat similar to Kingslake and Reefton in that it has a poor surface and requires more speed to get the required satisfaction while cornering, which also unfortunately raise the risk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEqf_QjVWh8

Not to make this a Deals gap feast, but this video is the fastest run over 'The Dragon' I have ever seen!!!

That's some serious speed ohmy.gif Nice to watch cool.gif Rider must have had a blast, although I'm not a big fan of cutting corners on public roads - which is the only thing I can put my finger on. Humbling to see how fast it is possible to go!

• 1 month later...

Another great road, hwy-36 in northern california, located off I-5 in Redbluff. Two miles of I-5 thru a little town called Redbluff, you start on hwy-36, there first sidgh you come to says "Next 144 miles" with a big S- above it. 144 miles of rolling roads, big sweepers, tight turns of varying elevation, climbs to about 3,000ft , goes thru goes thru redwood groves, then to Pacific Ocean, head south to "Avenue of the Giants" driving thru some of the tallest trees in the world. Best of all you'll see maybe 12 cars in 144 miles. G-

Ahhhh, HWY 36, sweet, sweet HWY 36,,,

IMGP0003-12.JPG

I'm off to Weaverville soon, to ride HWY 36 again.

All the Aussie blokes, you have to go to the U.S, its cheap as chips once you get there , the roads are

fantastic and you won't get pinged for 3KMH over by some TRG in cammo hiding in the bushes.

• 3 weeks later...

The Tail of the Dragon is about a day's ride from my house. I road it two up with my wife on our Burgman and had a great time. This is one of my

. It shows a man on a Goldwing, but it's shot from a tripod bungee corded onto the top of his trailer. You'll notice a nice smooth ride and a fair amount of lean available on that big touring bike.

• 2 months later...

While out riding new territory, a local suggested this road. Helmet cam held by my brother riding his Tiger Steamer, me on the XT (if you ever hear engine noise, it's off my muffler). Video doesn't show how bumpy it is, but the road was still good fun. Strange how an exiting ride turns into something quite average on video. Really makes you appreciate what the lads are doing during the IoM races :lol:

- the best bits are in the last half of the film, most definitely